Search for content in message boards

Benjamin Rolfe family of Ingram County, MI

Benjamin Rolfe family of Ingram County, MI

Dennis Roth (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2002 1:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rolfe
Is anyone familiar with or know anything about the Benjamin Rolfe family of Ingram County, MI? I believe they moved there from Canada in 1840 and appear in the 1850 census.

Re: Benjamin Rolfe family of Ingram County, MI

Ozzi (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2002 5:41PM GMT
The following is from records in Mason, MI.
written by Alvin Rolfe and is preserved in the records of the County Pioneer Society.
"In 1834 my father, Benjamin Rolfe, and family moved from Thetford, Orange Co, VT to Genesee Co. NY. They stayed there until June 1838, then moved to Michigan." (the story of their journey follows)...They settled in Vevay, MI where there was/is a substantial settlement of Rolfe's.

Mason and Vevay are near Lansing, in Ingham Co. MI

This family is also mentioned in the Abstracts of Rev. War Pension Files.

If the entire story is of interest, I'll be happy to scan it and send it via e-mail.

Ozzi goblu@earthlink.net

Dennis Roth (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2002 5:43PM GMT
Ozzi,

I would be interested in reviewing the material you mentioned below. I am trying to find a Benjamin Rolfe who was born in Dudswell, Wolfe County, Quebec, Canada and married Betsy Moulton on 22 Feb 1821 in Eaton, Compton County, Quebec, Canada. the family appears in the 1825 Canadian Census with one son and in the 1831 Canadian Census with 2 sons and a daughter. They do not appear in the 1841 census and later.

Therefore, they immigrated after 1831 probably to the states. Many inhabitants from The Eastern Townships of Canada moved to Vermont, Indiana, and Michigan.

Thanks for your response.

Dennis
Newcastle, Washington

Ozzi (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2002 8:24PM GMT
Hi Dennis,
This Rolph family is not mine, only information I've picked up along the way, but I'm happy to share it with you.
It's called "Rolfe Settlement"
Ephraim, Nathan, Benjamin, Ira, Hazen and Manasseh Rolfe, from vermont and NY, all located in the township. (Ira Rolfe was directly from Thetford, Orange Co. VT. His brothers had lived in Genessee Co NY. Ira is the only surivor of the brothers, and is 78 years of age.)

The Rolfe's settled in the southwestern part of the township. Nathan, Benjamin and Ira came together in the summer of 1838, reaching Detroit June 30th. Ephraim, Hazen and Mannasseh came afterward at intervals of a year or two. The last named was a physician, and removed subsequently to Eaton Rapids, where he died from the effects of a dissecting wound. When the Rolfe's first came to the township the only improvement therein was on the site of Mason, where a small clearing had been made and a log house built. Ira Rolfe built a house on the place he now occupies in Vevay upon his first arrival, but left his family at Saline, Washtenaw Co, MI and did not become a permanent settler until 1838, having engaged in the meantime in teaming back and forth from Saline. The six brothers settled in one neighborhood, and in the midst of a dense forest.

the second story is about the settlement of the Rolfe's in this township and was written by his son, Alvin Rolfe.
"In 1834 my father, Benjamin Rolfe, and family moved from Thetford, Orange Co VT to Genesee Co NY. They stayed there until June 1836, then moved to Mi."

"The first lumber we got in Jackson was for a coffin for a sister of mine. she died 7 April 1837, and I think was the first person who died in the town."

The rest of the story is descriptive, no help with genealogical ties.

The Abstracts of the Rev. war pension files deal with this same family. The soldier who is applying for the pension is Ephraim, b 8 Feb 1758, m: Lucy Russ 10 Aug 1788 in Derryfield (now Manchester) NH. Soldier died in 1828. Lucy was born 9 May 1760. Soldier applied for pension 2 Dec 1818 at Thetford, Orange Co VT. Soldier died 5 Oct 1828. In 1820 soldier refered to his 4 children at home: a widowed daughter Sally age 27;Lucy 20: Sophier 15: Iver 17. Also a grandchild, age 7. In 1843 a Benjamin Rolfe made affd't in Ingham Co MI, but his relationship, if any, to soldiers' family is not given..

That's all that I have on this family, it doesn't look as tho it's going to be helpful for you. Good luck..

Ozzi

Posted: 26 Oct 2005 6:27PM GMT
Edited: 26 Nov 2005 10:49PM GMT
Surnames: ROLFE
Hi Ozzie,
This is my family of Rolfe's only I branch off from Jonathan, the son of Ephraim, who stayed in Genesee Cty and buried in E. Bethany Cemetery with his wife Esther(Brown)Rolfe.
I'm late jumping into this, as just found out Jonathan's identity. Have you heard anything about Indian's in this family?
I'm willing to exchange any info with you, that I might have, which isn't a whole lot! My e-mail address is bwlacj@aol.com.

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 7:37PM GMT
Carol,

I am very interested your Jonathan Rolfe branch of our family (I am a descendent of brother William). As the email address posted here no longer works, please get in touch with me if you read this.
Anne
agwalt@earthlink.net

Posted: 12 Mar 2008 10:15PM GMT
Hello,
My wife's great-great-great-great grandfather was Benjamin Rolfe. I have all of the published and unpublished material from the Library of Michigan and the Ingham Co Hist Society including Alvin Rolfe's recollections. I am interested in finded the place of birth and place of death for Benjamin's father Ephraim Rolfe (b. 8 Feb 1758, d. 5 Oct 1828). I have the dates from a couple sources, but do not know the places. Any help would be appreciated. My wife's great-great grandfather Edson Rolfe owned and operated a small dry goods store in Eden, Michigan near Mason in Ingham County. I am also searching for pictures of that building.

Thanks! Darren
darren.mueller@juno.com

Posted: 24 May 2008 2:37AM GMT
Hi Darren, My name is Carol Jentsch, descended from Jonathan & Esther Brown Rolfe/ Ephraim Sr. is Jonathan's father. I have Ephraim being born Feb. 8, 1758 in Hollis, NH, he died Oct. 5, 1858 in Thetford, VT. He married Lucy Russ Aug. 10, 1780 in Derryville, NH. She was B 9 May 1760 in Hollis, NH and D Aug. 13, 1844 in Vwvay Township, MI.

Posted: 28 Sep 2009 12:48AM GMT
Hi, Darren. I replied to you about location of Ephraim's birth and death, but forgot to ask you if you'd send me info on Benjamin from Michigan Library. I read the Ingham Cty history online, and pulled from it info I needed. Didn't see much of anything on Benjamin's brother Dr. Manassah L. Rolfe, other then mentioning his move to Vevay. Also did find that he was still alive in 1845 as in Eaton Rapids State census. My Jonathan's family is difficult to locate info on. Especially his one daughter, my gggrandmother Mariann. Let me know what I can pay you for any copies of info you send. e-mail me at acj11242@cox.net, and let me know if you'll do this. Thanks. Carol Jentsch

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 4:01PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2012 4:39PM GMT
Now read this posts and all the answers I can read that this could be connection with the Rolfe family I have in my tree.It beings with who happen to marry a Rolfe in the Dansville,Michigan area one thing to note this was her second marriage.She was Mertie Laycock first married Ernest D Collard.Then she married who I have as Hurbert D Rolfe until her death in 1916.I just can't find out when he died or just where he is buried at for I want to make sure there connected there on FindaGrave.org since I have her page there.I want make sure there connected.Hurbert Rolfe father is William Rolfe I do believe his mother is Alice M Tyler.They had three children William W Rolfe and Alice M Taylor.Two girls and one son I have the one daughter birth and death this is Florence E.Rolfe she was born in 1883 died in 1927 she is buried Mason Michigan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions