Search for content in message boards

Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth

Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 4:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Someone sent me the following reference from Tombstone Inscriptions from the Cemeteries in Medina Co., OH:

Pages 1 & 2 - Woodlawn Cemetery - Wadsworth Twp - Row 20 in the Old Ground west of the sidewalk going west to the drive.

BEACH, Luman, Dec. 29, 1837 - 59Y
" , Lydia w/o Luman, Jan 23, 1849 - 73Y
" , Edwin A., son, Aug. 8, 1811 - 22Y

I'm a direct descendant of Luman, Lydia, & Edwin. The birth year and age for Edwin is wrong but the information for Luman & Lydia seems correct.

Can anyone confirm that the information listed for Edwin is in error. Edwin was born in 1813 and died in 1844.

Re: Woodlawn Cemetery, Wadsworth

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 9:27PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2004 6:36PM GMT
I visited the cemetery today, and the tombstone seems to read 1811 because it is very worn on that end of the stone. I am sure you have the right stone, as the parents' inscriptions are on the same tombstone as Edwin's. Also, his reads son of L and L Beach. The first numeral on the stone, the "1" stands straight up. The "4"s slant slightly, so that would indicate that it is a different numeral as well, with the angled part of the numeral being the most worn. As long as your information states 1844, I would say that your information is correct, and the stone was read wrong by the first person. I would not have guessed them as fours until your posting, now I would say that they were fours, just worn and misread. Hope this helps.

Posted: 6 Oct 2003 10:41PM GMT
Barbara,

Thank you very much for checking out the grave site. The only documentation that I have found so far that identifies Edwin as Luman's son is Edward Brown's "Wadsworth Memorial: An Account of the Proceedings of the Celebration of the Sixtieth Anniversary of the First Settlement of the Township of Wadsworth, Ohio" (1875). I have not actually seen this reference but have been e-mailed an excerpt from the book. I’m trying to obtain a copy of the appreciate pages.

The following is the reference from “Wadsworth Memorial” the refers to Edwin as Luman’s son:

“Edwin A. Beach, third son of Luman, born in Morgan, O., 1813. Married Didemia Chapman. Came to Wadsworth in 1834. Was a worthy member of the Congregational church. Was killed by a falling tree, Aug. 8th, 1844.”

I have Edwin and Didemia’s 1835 marriage license from Ashtabula County. I also have Didemia’s Will that lists my ggg grandmother as her daughter.

Thanks again for your help.

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 1:53AM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2004 6:36PM GMT
I have a digital camera, but it is acting up. If I can, I will try to get you pictures of all of the sides of the tombstone and send them to your e-mail address. I would say that the tombstone would document Edwin as Luman's son, because of the fact that Luman and Lydia and Edwin are all on the same stone. Also, Edwin is named as the son of L and L Beach right on the stone. With the date August 8 being the same, and the only seeming discrepency being the worn "4"s, I am sure it's enough to document it all.
By the way, are you aware that there is a Beach Road in Wadsworth not very far from the cemetery? I don't know for a fact, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was named after your family. They were here since probably the beginning of Wadsworth's history. I am relatively new to this area, but I know a lot of seniors who could probably tell me a lot about the history. I will ask around, and let you know if I find out any more information. There is going to little play about the history of Wadsworth with people dressed up in period costume depicting actual historical founding families, I think around Halloween. Wouldn't it be interesting if one of the families was yours! Where exactly do you live? I'll let you know if I find out anything else about the Beach family.

Posted: 7 Oct 2003 10:27PM GMT
Barbara,

Tried e-mailing you at your wadnet.com address but received an error message.

Jeanine Downer (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2003 11:58PM GMT
Surnames: Spellman, Jaquith, Ingram, Jones, Wells
Hello, Barbara

can you tell me if you have any;

Spellman 's, Spilman 's, Spelman 's etc.

connected to your Medina County Ohio Wadsworth

A woman perhaps ("Eliza or Elisa, Elizabeth) born circa 1813 married to James Spellman of Wadsworth, OH Medina County? Eliza died & buried in Wadsworth, OH between 1834 & 1839 when James re-married Martha Mcwherter. Newark, OH 1839

James & Eliza's 2 children;

William Alonzo Spellman b. Wadsworth, OH 1832
&
Rosella Anna Spellman b. 1834 ("adopted" by Josian Jaquith Sr. & wife Miranda) Rosella's last name never changed from Spellman.

Thank You,

Jeanine Downer

JL42000@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic