Search for content in message boards

Glenlivet Grants/Stuarts/Shaws/Robertson/White

Glenlivet Grants/Stuarts/Shaws/Robertson/White

Posted: 24 Mar 2002 3:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Mar 2002 2:16AM GMT
Surnames: GRANT/STUART/WHITE/SHAW/ROBERTSON/CLEARY/LAFFOLEY
Here's my line from the last marriage we have in Glenlivet:
Alexander Grant (b.1850 Glenlivet - d.1925Canada) married Margaret Stuart, m.30 jun 1883 in Chapeltown of Glenlivet (b.1851 Glenlivet - d.1935 Canada).

Alex was son of Alexander Grant(b 1914Tombae - d.1861Chapeltown) alias Bowie and Mary Shaw m. 8 Jan 1846 in Chapeltown of Glenlivet.

Margaret Stuart (1851-1935) was the daughter of James Stuart (Miller of Auchnascraw) and Elspet Grant alias Bowie, m 10 Jan 1842. She and her husband, Alex were first cousins, since Elspet( Margaret mom 1817) and Alex (Alex dad 1814) were siblings.

Alexander Grant (b 1814 Foot of the Ladder- d 1861 Glenlivet) was the son of Alexander Grant alias Bowie and Margaret White (Margaret died before 1820, and Alexander then married Margaret Grant).

Tombae Roman Catholic Baptismal Records:-Extract
"At Foot of the Ladder 29th September1814 I the undersigned baptised Alexander Grant alias Bowie born the 28th inst lawful son to Alexander Grant and Margaret White both residing at the aforesaid place. The sponsors were Duncan Grant and Mary White, Coruanack, aunt to the child
James John Gordon Miss. App"
Elizabeth Grant (Bowie) baptised 27th April 1817 at Foot of the Ladder
Tombae Roman Catholic Baptisms
---------------------------------------------

Margaret Whites parents were James White & Margaret MacPherson. Since Margaret was born about 1785, it's likely her parents were married abt 1780 and Margt MacPherson b around 1755, probably near the Braes of Abernethy but possibly in Glenlivet..

Still looking for help on each of the above lines all in the Braes of Glenlivet or the Braes of Abernethy.

GRANT ... who were the parents of Alexander Grant alias Bowie of Foot of the Ladder, Tombae, Glenlivet.<g> who married Margaret White abt 1812?

STUART...who were the siblings of James Stuart (b bef 1800, Miller of Auchnascraw)) who married Elspet Grant alias Bowie (m.1842) and who was the son of John Stuart & Janet Stuart? (and was Elspet Grant previously married to one of Jims brothers?)

SHAW ... Who were the parents & spouse of Alexander Shaw, father of Charles Shaw who married Sarah Robertson & whos dau Mary wed Alexander Grant alias Bowie in Glenlivet in 1814?

ROBERTSON ... Who were the parents of Sara Robertson (above) who married Charles Shaw before 1800?

WHITE ... when and where were Margarets (and her sister Mary who married Alexanders brother) parents (James White & Margaret MacPherson) married ?

MACPHERSON... who were the parents of James White & Margaret MacPherson?. Since Margaret (their daughter who married James White) was born about 1785, it's likely her parents were married abt 1780 and Margt MacPherson b around 1755, probably near the Braes of Abernethy but possibly in Glenlivet.

Looking to correspond with anyone who has any info on any of these lines.

...Stuart
--------------------

Corrections Re: Glenlivet Grants/Stuarts/Shaws/Robertson/White

Posted: 3 Nov 2002 5:03AM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Surnames: Grant, Stuart, White
Here's my line from the last marriage we have in Glenlivet:
Alexander Grant (b.1850 Glenlivet - d.1925Canada) married Margaret Stuart, m.30 jun 1883 in Chapeltown of Glenlivet (b.1851 Glenlivet - d.1935 Canada).

Alex was son of Alexander Grant(b 1914Tombae - d.1861Chapeltown) alias Bowie and Mary Shaw m. 8 Jan 1846 in Chapeltown of Glenlivet
---------------------

CORRECTION! CORRECTION! CORRECTION!
The Grant/Shaw connection was an error!
After some false starts (everyone in Glenlivet seems to be Grant or Stuart<g>) we found that the correct parents for Alexander (the 5th of twelve
children) were Alexander Grant(b1804 - d. 10th March 1886, 3:30pm, Corunack, Glenlivat) and Ann Stuart (b.1829, Abernethy, Invernesshire - d.26th Dec 1902, 5am, Westerclova, Kildrummy).

On Margarets side, parents are, James Stuart (b abt 1805 --- d.29th Oct 1869, 7:30pm, Mill of Auchnascraw) and Elspet Grant (b abt 1810 --- d.31 May 1882, 6am, Mill of Achnascraw,
Glenlivat). Elspet Grant was widowed previous to marrying James Stuart and brought three young children to the second marriage. We have not yet found a source recording the first marriage.

Further Generations:
Alexander Grant (1804 - 1886).
His parents were Duncan Grant (who came to the Braes of Glenlivet from Abernethy) and Mary White (b.abt 1769 - d. 24 Jan 1850)
Ann Stuart (1829 - 1902).
Her parents were James Stuart & Barbara Grant
James Stuart(1805 - 1869)
His parents were John Stuart & Janet Stuart
Elspet Grant (1810 - 1882)
Her parents were Alexander Grant (Who also came from the Braes of Abernethy) and Margaret White.
It is possible that Alex & Duncan Grant were brothers and that they married sisters in the two White girls.
Margaret White died early (after bearing at least one child) and Alexander married again, to Margaret Grant with whom he raised a fair sized family.

Holdings in Glenlivat associated with the family are:
Corunack.
Auchnascraw,
Clinkhard,
Also, I've been told that at least some of the family used the alias Bouie or Bowie.
--------------------------------------

Re: Glenlivet Grants/Stuarts/Shaws/Robertson/White

Posted: 4 Jan 2003 11:47PM GMT
Surnames: Stuart, Gordon, Smith
Re the Stuarts of Glenlivet, my grandmother Agnes Stuart born 1878 was the youngest of 13 children of the Stuarts of the Mill which is just downhill from Auchnascraw farm. I cannot recall her father's name, Alexander I think. He was much travelled for those days -went to America twice and on pilgrimage to Rome. My grandmother's aunt known as Meg of the Mill emigrated to Canada and has descendents -the Comey family in Vancouver. I have been trying to find more about the Stuarts of the Mill and also the Gordon family of Lagual .No family members left to advise.They are all in Chapeltown graveyard. My aunt nee Mairi Gordon. was the last teacher at Chapeltown school

Stuart Grant (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2003 3:47AM GMT
Surnames: Grant Stuart White Comey Gauld Cleary Carey
Rosalind:
Re the Stuarts of Glenlivet, my grandmother Agnes Stuart born 1878 was the youngest of 13 children of the Stuarts of the Mill which is just downhill from Auchnascraw farm. I cannot recall her father's name, Alexander I think. He was much travelled for those days -went to America twice and on pilgrimage to Rome. My grandmother's aunt known as Meg of the Mill emigrated to Canada and has descendents -the Comey family in Vancouver.
----------------------------
Stuart:
The Comeys are one of the families descended from Meg (Margaret Stuart) and her husband Sandy (Alexander Grant). But Meg and Sandy accompanied their THREE grown children; Alexander, James Stuart & John to Canada and they ALL had families. The Comeys are the result of one of Johns daughters (Margaret Grant) marrying Peter Comey... both are now deceased but are survived by a multitude of children & grandchildren.

Megs oldest son, Alexander Grant married Mary Finnegan and they had a large family (one of whom died when his bomber crashed on landing in England after a mission over Germany).

Megs second son James Stuart Grant (for some reason named for the maternal line also) married Stella Cleary in North Vancouver 1916 and they had 4 sons, among them my father Edward James (Ted) Grant.
-----------------------------------------------
Rosalind:
I have been trying to find more about the Stuarts of the Mill and also the Gordon family of Lagual .No family members left to advise.They are all in Chapeltown graveyard. My aunt nee Mairi Gordon. was the last teacher at Chapeltown school
--------------------------------------
Stuart:
I have a diary of my ggrandmothers (Meg o' the Mill) listing the birthdates of all her siblings (did you know her mother was married twice?).

I also have additional data on this Stuart family and am in touch with at least one other Stuart researcher who is descended from Megs sister Jessie.

Feel free to contact me privatly & we'll exchange info.

...Stuart Grant (Point Roberts, WA & North Vancouver, British Columbia)
----------------------------------------------------------

Fiona Stuart (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2003 11:13PM GMT
I would like help finding info on my great great grandfather, Robert Stuart. He married Ann Stuart in 1814 and his son, James, was born at Glenlivet in about 1830. James later moved to Fiddieston in Ordiquhill parish. Robert was a crofter.
Anyone out there know about him?

Stuart Grant (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2005 7:16AM GMT
Surnames: Stuart
Re:
Robert & Anne Stuart's son Jas(b 1830 Glenlivet).

Fiona,
Any indication on your records of WHERE in Glenlivet? Since so many in the Braes has surnames in common, it really helps if you give more info. The properties associated with my families are Corunack, Auchnascraw, Clinkhard, Rindow, Ladderfoot ...

Posted: 25 Oct 2013 2:49PM GMT
I am researching my Great Great Grandfather, John Gordon Fraser. He came to Australia in 1879 on the 'Pekina' and we have very little information on his past and he was reluctant to speak about it. He was always known as John Gordon Fraser however on his marriage certificate he signed his name as John Fraser Gordon. We know that he was born on the 18 May 1848 and his father was definitely William and mother most likely Margaret and that he was born in Banffshire. We know they were Roman Catholics and that he may have been training as Roman Catholic priest. From this information I have found that he was possibly the son William Gordon and Margaret Fraser. There residence was Lagual and all records were kept by Rev. James Glennie at Chapeltown, Our Lady of the Perpetual Succour. They also had a son Janet, who died at 13months and a son James, died at 5 days old. I presume they would be buried at Chapeltown too however I haven't found their headstones. If William and Margaret were John's father and mother then he would have been 15 years old and all immediate family passed away.

From the Moray Burial Ground Research Group I have found the headstones Cht51 and Cht52. I have found that William Gordon's father was probably Alexander Gordon and mother, Janet McKay and that he had a brother Adam who married a Margaret and they had a son William and daughter Jessie. Jessie married an Alexander Grant and had two sons William and Adam. William died at age 28 and Adam at age 66. It is interesting to note that John Gordon Fraser had a daughter Jessie, maybe named after his 1st cousin? John is buried in a Catholic Cemetery in Wilmington, South Australia and was married in a Catholic Church in Gawler, South Australia. I really need some furthur information to know that this is actually his family and am interested in finding out as much as I can so any information would be appreciated.
Thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions