Search for content in message boards

O'TOOLE/KING/ Omey Island/ Inishturk/Rahoon, Galway

O'TOOLE/KING/ Omey Island/ Inishturk/Rahoon, Galway

Posted: 15 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 3:50AM GMT
Surnames: O'TOOLE, KING, DUNN, MORRIN, JORDAN
Looking for information about any O'TOOLE families from the Island of Inishturk, Omey Island, Clifden, Galway. Duncan O'TOOLE and wife Margaret JORDAN had daughter, Bridget. They were from Omey Island. Bridget O"TOOLE married John KING whose parents were Edward KING and Margaret MARTIN. Bridget O"TOOLE KING died in Rahoon, Galway (a section of Galway City now)in 1846 during the famine. John KING emigrated to St. Louis MO leaving behind two young boys with family....KINGs? or O'TOOLEs? They joined their father in their teens. Boys were Edward and Martin KING.

Re: O'TOOLE/KING/ Omey Island/ Inishturk/Rahoon, Galway

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 8:06AM GMT
Hello There -

My great grandmother, Deliah O'Toole was born on the island in 1881. Her parents were John O'Toole and Bridget (Hannon). She had 7 siblings according to the 1901 and 1911 census from that time. Names including John, Annie, Thomas, edward and Ellie. They lived at house number 10 and 4. Delaih was born Bridget Toole. The census has the last name as Toole. But she always identified herself as O'Toole. She left for America in 1901 and moved near Pittsburgh to Homestead, PA. She died in the 1950's. I've attached a picture of her. Her daughter was my grandmother. Maybe we are related. I'm traveling to Ireland later this year and look forward to seeing this island.

Cheers,
Jed Tomsula
Attachments:

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 8:07AM GMT
She was born on Inishturk.

Jed

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 11:52AM GMT
Thank you for writing. A genealogist found the information that I have and I'm not sure if it's really my family. My husband and I went to the Rahoon Catholic church and there is a mass grave there but I don't believe there were any names listed. I'm not sure where she got her information. I haven't gotten very far on the Thomas King, the Father. Found out his name wasn't John. My Grandmother, Bridget King, married Martin King. Her mother was Bridget Hannon! Not sure where the Hannons were from as I don't have any more information on them. I was in Clifden once and you can walk to Omey Island when the tide is out, so I was told. I didn't have time to do that. It was Easter week so I didn't get into the church records and I haven't worked on that family line for some time. You've sparked my interest again. Pat

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: O'Melia/ O'Toole
My great grandmother is Anna Nora O'Toole born about 1871. She married my great grandfather John O'Melia and settled in Winchester MA. They had 7 children and adopted one which was left on their doorstep. My Uncle Henry "Packie" O'Melia went to Ireland in the 90's and met some relations in Inishtuck. Would love to hear what you uncovered on your travels.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 3:16AM GMT
I really haven't found out any more about this family line. I have not been back to that area and Rahoon or Omey Island. Maybe one of the other posters has been there. As far as I know, which isn't saying much, we weren't connected to anyone from Inishturk.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic