Search for content in message boards

BMD records for Hamilton

BMD records for Hamilton

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 11:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Feb 2013 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Stait, Stevens
My wife's gggrandfather was William Stait. He was born 7 Apr 1813 in Gloucester, England. He married Mary Norton in 1839 while still in England and they had 4 children: William b. 1841, George b. 1844, Thomas b. 1845 and Lucy Ann b. 1849.

According to his obituary, and family lore, he immigrated to Hamilton, Ontario in 1851 with his wife and 4 children. He is shown in the 1851 Canadian census as living in Canada West (Ontario), Hamilton City, St. Mary, with his wife and children.

Supposedly (I can not substantiate it) his wife Mary died in about 1852. Shortly thereafter, he remarried to Nancy Ann Stevens (b. 1834 Worcestershire, England) and they had several children, beginning in 1856. The 1861 Canadian census shows the family living in Barton, Wentworth with 4 additional children.

Sometime between 1861 and 1871 the family moved to Paisley, Bruce, Ontario.

My problem, and the areas where I need assistance, is locating some record of
1. Their immigration to Hamilton in 1851
2. Some record of Mary's death/burial in Hamilton somewhere around 1852.
3. Some record of William's marriage to Nancy Stevens in about 1853 ( I estimate).

Can anyone help direct me at some sources of this information. I have worn out Ancestry.com, FamilySearch and google search, all to no avail.

Can any of you northerners help this struggling yank?

Thanks so much

Jim Davis

Re: BMD records for Hamilton

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 2:22AM GMT
Here is a helpful link with information for you. It appears Mary Norton Stait is either buried in Paisley, Ontario, or is "mentioned" on a gravemarker there.
There is an obituary for William giving children's names, etc. Click on the various names for further information if it is available.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=44...

I hope this is of benefit to you. There is even a contact who may be able to provide more info. Good Luck.

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 11:40AM GMT
Many thanks for your reply. I am aware of the memorial on FindAGrave that you provided since the person that developed the information is my wife's cousin. He has done a lot of research but there is one piece that I believe does not make sense. He does have a memorial in Paisley for Mary (nee. Norton) Stait but there is no actual gravestone nor burial record to support it.

According to the timeline that I am pursuing, Mary died around 1852 while the family was in residence in the Hamilton area. William remarried in about 1853 and had 4 more children before moiving to Paisley sometime after his census record in 1861, still in Hamilton.

For Mary to be buried in Paisley, William would have had to take her remains with him when he moved to Paisley, some 10 years after her death. I find this highly unlikely. Therefore, she was more likely buried near Hamilton in 1852 +/_.

One of the things I enjoy about Geneaolgy is trying to solve some of the "mysteries" that seem to always be present.

Thanks again for your digging.

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 7:34PM GMT
http://geneofun.on.ca/names/photo/1065827 - "M.S." headstone,Stenabaugh Cemetary in Ancaster ON - Its a real long shot but I can't see any other Mary Stait or Norton of the right death date in any of the Hamilton or surrounding areas

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 10:54PM GMT
Sometimes long shots pay off. Thanks for the information and link.

Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions