[Kathy Kopp--- please review and advise... much of what I've compiled I got from you... -- Jillaine]
Thanks for the information.
I have conflicting information about the number and names of Christian's children.
Please see what I've compiled (very recently updated) here:http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jillaine/schueler/
This pulls from various sources, including Kathy Kopp's compilations, census records and some city directories, as well as Christian's will, per Kathy Kopp. The names that *definitely* appear to be Christian's children are:
1. Joseph Schueler b. 1822 m. Clara Unknown. While I can't find him in the 1850 census, he's in 1860 and 1870 and he's identified as Christian's son in the latter's will.
2. Margaret Schueler, b. 1825 m. Andrew HOTTING or HOTTINGER. She's identified as Christian's daughter in his will; she's also with him in the 1850 and 1860 censuses.
3. Johann Paul (aka John) Schueler, b. 1828. Actually, I have not yet seen any evidence of him as a documented son, although so much else implies it. He's not in the 1850 census with his father (or anywhere else that I've yet found). But he's in the 1870 census living on the same street (if not block) as other Schuelers who are confirmed children of Christian. Plus he's buried at the family plot, I believe.
4. Katharine Schueler b. 1832 m. John? KESSEL. Identified as Christian's daughter in his will.
5. Gertrude/Josephine, b. 1834; m. unknown SCHAEFER. Identified as Christian's daughter in his will; also with him in 1850 and 1860 censuses.
6. Franz/Frank Schueler, b. 1835-1837. He's not in the 1850 census, but he's identified as Christian's son in the latter's will. He married Dorthea Unknown.
7. Maria/Mary Schueler, b. 1840. Identified as Christian's daughter in his will; she's also living with him in the 1850 and 1860 censuses.
8. Christina Schueler, b. 1841. Identified as Christian's daughter in his will; she's also living with him in the 1855 and 1860 censuses, but not in the 1850 census. She married Anton GOLDSMITH; they're living next door to her parents in 1870.
The others that also appear to be related to Christian are these:
9. Martin John Schueler, b. 1821. I found him listed as Christian's son in one of Kathy Kopp's compilations, but perhaps I misunderstood.
10. Eva Schueler, b. 1835. She's found with Christian in the 1855 state census. No where else.
11. Gottlieb Schueler, b. 1840. Not sure where I got his name from. There's certainly a Gottlieb Schueler in Buffalo, but the only one I found with a set of parents was son, b. 1837, of John & Annie Schueler.
12. Martin John Schueler, b. 1840/1841. This was also pulled from an earlier compilation of Kathy Kopps.
13. Christian Schueler, b. 1842. He's enumerated with Christian Senior in the 1850 census.
Lastly, I have seen references, including Debra's note above, to two additional children, a second Frank/Franz and a second Mary or Maria. I find no evidence of these unless the second Frank/Franz is the Frank Grauss or Krauss enumerated with Christian in several censuses who appears to change his name to Schueler by 1872 when he married Catharine SCHMIDT, sister to my ancestor (and reason for my researching all this...)
I sure would like to have all of this cleared up...
-- Jillaine Smith