Search for content in message boards

taliaferro/toliver & families

taliaferro/toliver & families

Posted: 31 Dec 2002 12:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Jul 2003 6:40PM GMT
hi- looking to connect with any onwe who is searching for the taliaferro or toliver family- any spelling any connecting lines
have TONS of info please email me
sheri

Re: taliaferro/toliver & families

Beth (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2003 1:10AM GMT
Surnames: Duncan, Toliver, Tolliver, Taliaferro, Taliaferri, Tagliaferri, Tagliaferro
Hi Sherri :)

One of my great-great grandmothers was named Rose Anne Toliver. She married John Wesley Duncan in in Allehgany Co., NC in 1869. I've managed to trace the Tolivers back to Bartholomew Tagliaferro b. about 1542 in Venice, Italy.

Where I'm running into trouble is actually on tracing back Rose Anne's husband, the aforementioned John Wesley Duncan. I can find lots of Duncans, of course, but am having a bit of difficulty determining to which of them, if any, he belongs.

Of course, I'm interested in any further information your might have about the Tolivers, but I'd also be interested to know if you've found anything about John Wesley Duncan in connection, perhaps, to your research.

Any other replies, ideas, or leads would certainly be welcome!

Happy Hunting,

Beth

Posted: 3 Aug 2003 4:08AM GMT
By any chance, would you have any information on the Solomon Toliver family. I do know that he was married to a Peggy Ann Blevins & had a daughter whose name was Malinda. Malinda was married to a George M. Reeves & they had a son whose name was Van Worth Reeves. But that's about the extent of the information that I have.

Posted: 5 Sep 2003 9:01PM GMT
Edited: 28 Aug 2004 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Edwards
Could this be your John Wesley Duncan?
Descendants of John Wesley Duncan

1 John Wesley Duncan b: March 09, 1867 d: March 31, 1946
.. +Willa Blanch Edwards b: 1869 m: April 07, 1889 in Hooker N.C. d: 1946 Father: William Edwards Mother: Lucy Dickerson
2 Zula Duncan
2 Minnie Duncan
2 Oscar Duncan
2 Eaton Duncan
2 Guy Duncan
2 Walter Duncan
2 Marie Duncan
2 Clytie Duncan

Len (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2003 1:48AM GMT
I have Rosa Ann Toliver's father as Starling Toliver.
I have Starling Toliver's father as Jesse/Jessie (Taliaferro) Toliver.

I would love to know who the father of Jesse/Jessie is...and the documentation that proves that fact. I've turned over every rock I can, and I haven't proven who his father was. You have the the answer to my prayer.

Thanking you in advance,
Len

Rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2003 3:00AM GMT
Alas, it is very unlikely that the Tolivers of Alleghany & Wilkes County are related to the Taliaferros of Virginia (who descend from Bartholomew Taliaferro of Venice). The possibility of relationship was recently disproven by DNA evidence. See my discussion of this at <http://www.moonzstuff.com/Cheek/ToliverJohn.html#1>;

Rebecca

Posted: 1 Oct 2003 1:00AM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2005 2:47PM GMT
Surnames: Toliver,Schnepper,Bryant,Read/Reed,Isom/Ison,Stamper...
hi-
i have third & fourth cousins who are Cheeks thru my Toliver lines in IL-
love to comapre...
some of my postings here are fairly old-
i also, adhere to the DNA results-
who can argue with genetics?
its crushing since ive been doing so much research for so long 7 was so proud of my lineage...
my line runs back to Jesse Tokiver of VA & NC,
Revolutionary War Vet, farmer, etc-
i have lots of info on the generations from Jesse on down, let me know if we can connect somehow-
also, ill give you my personal contact info if youre close by...
Sheri

Rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2003 6:17PM GMT
Hi Sheri, I am a descendant Martha Toliver & John Fender. Full lineage: Jesse Toliver>Martha Toliver>Sarah Fender (m. Solomon Jennings)>Martha Jennings (m. Richard Dixie Cheek)>Mack Cheek>Dean Cheek (my grandfather).

The genetic results were very disappointing to me also. I'd done quite a bit of research on the Taliaferros and even written quite an article on them for my family.

I have taken this as a lesson to be more careful about believing undocumented connections ... especially to notable families or people.

On another side of my family, I have upset everyone by telling them that I am convinced we are NOT descended from a certain signer of the Declaration of Independence who happened to share my great-grandmother's surname. Some of my relatives have invested a lot of ego into this belief (which has been in the family for at least 3 generations).

Rebecca

Posted: 3 Mar 2005 2:41AM GMT
Sheri
Looking for info on Solomon's son, Calvin, and his descendants. Any help?
KarenTolliver

Posted: 8 Aug 2005 8:45PM GMT
Surnames: TOLIVER/ISOM/REEDorREAD/STAMPER/PARK(E)S/BRYANT...
please email me privately so we can xchange info on which Solomon-if its the s/o Jesse Toliver, i can help...Sheri
per page

Find a board about a specific topic