Search for content in message boards

FTM for Mac - Unstable application since it's release

FTM for Mac - Unstable application since it's release

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was one of the first to purchase the Mac version of FTM. It was very unstable and I never could get it connected to the Internet. So like an idiot I purchased the upgrade to Version 2. Now, it connects but it simply WILL NOT reliable sync to Ancestry like it is supposed to do. Ancestry and FTM should be ashamed for releasing such a messed-up software app.

Re: FTM for Mac - Unstable application since it's release

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 9:54PM GMT
Have to agree with you William, I'm actually considering putting Windows on my Mac and going back to Legacy :(

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 10:05PM GMT
Surnames: Cartwright, Nixon, Morris, Sadler, Searle, Faulkner, Best, Grumbles, Whitfield, Musick, Plumley
Totally agree. I also bought FTM for Mac as soon as it came out, absolutely hated it, but stupidly bought FTM 2 thinking it would be better. Not. I have spent more hours at my computer fixing things than actually researching since I bought this messed up software. Fortunately, I've been keeping my Reunion software file alongside all along, just in case -- but because of the rapid-fire hints I find at Ancestry, have trouble remembering to add that new information to the Reunion file. I don't want to spend the remainder of my research years fixing problems caused by FTM.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 3:44AM GMT
I bought FTMM but did NOT buy the upgrade because of all the comments here. That said, FTMM languishes unused on my computer because of its instability. I will continue to use Reunion, which works just fine. I don't need a "shaky leaf" to use Ancestry's search feature. Neither do you. ;-)

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 5:02AM GMT
That's why I think more of us should "name it and shame it" when it comes to shoddy half-baked software products. Ancestry is making a ton of money off the backs of trusting Mac users.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 2:55PM GMT
Even the so-called documentation (user manual) is pitifully shy of useful information. Yep...the shaky leaf hints on their website are a cute gimmick ... But dangerous as all "git-out" if automatically linked to thoughtfully researched data. Thought I'd give it a try, but obviously got sucked in by the hype. (And a lot of on-line trees out there, put together by real genealogy newbies, are becoming very seriously compromised with a bunch of incorrect data because their owners blindly assume the shaky leaf is always right,)

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 9:16PM GMT
This is an interesting series of comments. I am looking for a good family tree software product that runs on a Mac, and had thought of Family Tree Maker - maybe I need to think again.

Can anyone recommend a product that does work well on a Mac? I've used Family Historian running on a Windows PC before and was very pleased with it. Any suggestions?

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 10:50PM GMT
My long-time favorite is Reunion, by Leister Productions. Go to www.leisterpro.com. Have been using it for 20 years and haven't found anything to match it -- and, the best, speediest, most personal customer support in the world.

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 8:34PM GMT
Thanks Judith, I'll investigate Reunion.

Posted: 29 Nov 2012 10:09PM GMT
I've admitted defeat, I hate wasting money, shame I can't even on sell FTMM & FTMM2, might research the refund policy! Last night I bought Reunion, import went okay, looking forward to the weekend to start playing and cleaning up the massive mess of my file thanks to horrid merges with FTMM.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions