Search for content in message boards

Looking for details on the passenger ship "American Congress"

Looking for details on the passenger ship "American Congress"

Posted: 29 Sep 2007 1:03PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
I have some ancestors that travelled to New York in 1850 in the passenger ship 'American Congress' . I am trying to find out some more details on the actual ship (Type , how many passengers it carried , what condition were like , cost of passage , maybe even a picture or drawing would be fantastic) but so far I can only find details of passenger lists. Does anyone know of a source for the kind of info I am looking for ?
Also the same ancestors returned home to London by 1858 (I think because the husband died in NY but I can't find any proof)
Does anyone know of a source for either :-
1) Death's in New York between 1850 and 1860 - to prove he died there
2) Births in New York - as I know they had at least 2 children in the time they were in NY
3) Passenger lists for people making the trip the other way across the pond , from New York to London . I can find all sorts of details for people who travelled from the UK to America , but nothing at all for those who went the other way.
Any and all advice and info would be much appreciated
Thanks

Re: Looking for details on the passenger ship "American Congress"

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 12:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Have you tried www.ellisisland.org
They have a lot of info re individual ships, including pictures.

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 12:27AM GMT

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 12:44AM GMT
Thanks for the reply , I have been in touch with Ellis island , but unfortunately the American Congress was in service in 1850-? , before Ellis island was in operation. They have no details on the ship
Thanks again

Posted: 27 Oct 2007 12:45AM GMT
Hi - I have just searched through all of the web sites listed on this site but no luck again - Looks like this is gonna be a tough one
Thanks again for the reply

Posted: 9 Nov 2007 6:52AM GMT
hello - I saw you message while searching for "American Congress"
My family arrived in the USA from London on two seperate trips - both on the American Congress - actually 3 seperate family trips were made to the USA from London - all on teh American Congress.
I do hav some info on the ship - only gathered from an article - when she was lost at Sea in 1872 on her way back to London -
She made an average of 3 round trips from London to New York, each year.
The ships of this line - popularly known as the :Swallow-tail" from the peculiliar shape of their flag.
It was built in New Castle, ME in 1849, her dimensions being - length 162 feet; breadth 34 feet, depth of hold 23 feet; tonnage 900
She was full ship rigged and rated at 1.3 in the American Lloyds and A1.3 in the French Lloyds.
Her exact value cannot be estimated (at the time of her disappearance)
THe cargo consisting of wheat, flour, oil cake tobacco and resin, was valued at 70,000.00.

Again this from an article in the New Yoprk Times /Feb 16 1873.

if you have any questions, you can email me at captainquint@comcast.net

Posted: 9 Nov 2007 7:01AM GMT
One more thing....

Box 2 Ref. 61 - Ship AMERICAN CONGRESS, 1850. Owned by Grinnell, Minturn & Co., NY. Oil painting by unknown artist
This from the website mysticseaport - apparently there is an oilpainint flaoring around somewhere - in a collection.
captainquint@comcast.net

Posted: 9 Nov 2007 1:46PM GMT
Thanks very much for your relpies , The info is much appreciated , I will try to get hold of a copy of that newspaper report for my records. I have been in touch with the Newcstle Maine Historical society who think they may be able to help me with more info on the ship - I am awaiting their findings and will post them when I get them.
Thanks again

Posted: 14 Feb 2008 8:14AM GMT
I too have run across the American Congress in my genealogy research. Before she passed away, an aunt told me about a medallion she had. On it was inscribed, "For Saving Five Of The Crew Of The British Ship Boomerang, The British Government To John Hawkins, Second Officer Of The Ship American Congress... 1856." Her father (John Harkins) told her he came into posession of the medallion because he was named after John Hawkins. From about 1800 to 1850, her grandfather lived near Poughkeepsie, N.Y., just up the Hudson river from New York Harbor which may account for a connection to the crew of the American Congress. Or those ancestors may have arrived on the American Congress. Like you I would like to learn more about the "American Congress" (and the Boomerang). If you google on American Congress, you will find some American Congress passenger lists and archived New York Times news articles on a rescue by the American Congress and another when it became lost at sea in late 1872 with a crew of 22 men. The other records I found were the ships description in the New York Marine Register (1857-8) and the American Lloyd's Register of American and Foreign Shipping (1859-70). Those records said:

AMERICAN CONGRESS
Master: Captain John H. WIlliams (1857-8)
Rigging: Ship; sheathed in metal in July 1858; fastened with copper and iron bolts.
Tonnage: 863 tons, draft 18 feet.
Dimensions: 162 feet long, 34 feet wide and 23 feet depth of hold... 2 decks
Construction: 1849, in Newcastle, England, using Oak and Hacmatac (old name for Tamarack).
Owners: Grinnell, Minturn and Co.
Port of registry: New York
Port of survey: New York
Packet ship between London and New York.

If you learn more about the American Congress or locate a picture of it I would love to learn what you discover.

Posted: 8 Aug 2008 7:24AM GMT
The Mystic Meseum in Connecticut has a painting of the American Congress.

http://www.mysticseaport.org/library/manuscripts/coll/coll28...

ken.meyer@ngc.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions