Search for content in message boards

History of Ross and Highland Counties - Peter Weaver

History of Ross and Highland Counties - Peter Weaver

Posted: 28 Jun 2004 3:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Jul 2004 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Weaver
If anyone has "History of Ross and HIghland Counties, Ohio" published in 1880, I would appreciate a look-up for Peter Weaver. I have one reference which says "New Petersburg was laid off by Peter Weaver, Juine 19, 1817" on page 528. Seeking move information on this Peter Weaver and his sons, Henry, Frederick and John.

Re: History of Ross and Highland Counties - Peter Weaver

Steve (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2004 5:21PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2004 8:43PM GMT
Surnames: Roads
Lynn,
That is what that book says. Unfortunately, there is no other info on Peter except that he was a neighbor of Valentine Roads about 1813.
I have book of land records of Highland (1805-1850). The earliest Peter appears is 1814 when he bought about 170 acres. The last was in 1839. I also have index for 1840 census. It doesn't have Peter or Frederick in it.

Steve

Posted: 28 Jun 2004 5:39PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2004 8:46PM GMT
Surnames: Weaver
Thanks for the information. You say the last land record for Peter Weaver was in 1839. Was he a seller or buyer? Does your land records show any records for Henry, Frederick or John. I believe Henry sold out around 1829 and moved to Miami County, Ohio. I have John in the 1820 Census but not in the 1830 Census so he must have moved between those dates. I have Frederick and Peter in the 1830 Cenus but since you say they are not in the 1840 Cenus, they must have moved between 1830 and 1840

Steve (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2004 9:37PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2004 5:26PM GMT
Surnames: Weaver, Pearce, Seckman
Peter was the seller in the last transaction and in most of the others where he is named. The land, or lot, is usually identified as as in or adjoining New Petersburg, or in Paint Twp.
No Henry Weaver in index.
Frederick mentioned a few times. Bought 100 acres in 1818 and seemed to sell it off in parts over the next 10 years. Last sale was 1828. In 1825 he sold 60 acres to Ben Pearce, one of my ancestors.
John Weaver a couple of times. Bought 75 acres in 1825. In 1835, Benj. and Jemima Seckman sold 25 (wonder if it should be 75) acres. She is identified as the widow of John Weaver and guardian of his sons David and John. Suit was filed in Tiffin (Seneca Co.), Ohio by them to sell this land.
This book, "Records of the Recorder's Office of Highland County, Ohio (1805-1850), by McBride, only contains basic info. For full details you need to see copy of original.
Index of 1830 census has Peter and Frederick, only. 1820 index has Peter, Frederick, and Henry all on page 043, Paint Twp. Two John Weavers, one in Brushcreek and one in Paint, page 40.

Steve

Posted: 8 Feb 2005 6:48PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2005 11:09AM GMT
Surnames: Roads
Hi Steve,
Do your maps show where Valentine Roads lives? Or any other Roads Rhoads or Rhoades? Mine were around Paint TWP.

Steve (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2005 6:09PM GMT
Edited: 10 Feb 2005 10:33PM GMT
Surnames: Roads, Phelps, Weaver, Tanner, Brock
Jacob,
It's not from a map. Page 522 of the book says Valentine Roads and his son Phelps S., came to Paint Twp. in 1813 from Va. and settled on a farm now owned by Phelps , about a mile east of Rainsboro. Says Roads came up from Sinking Spring through unbroken wilderness with wife and 8 children. It gives the nams of his 10 neighbors within a 5 mile radius, one being Peter weaver.

Page 472 says they settled first on Brush Creek (where Sinking Spring is) in 1813 before moving to Paint Twp. on the Smith survey.Children are listes as: George, Abraham, Philip, John, Henry, Catherine, Mary and Barbara with one un-named who remainrd in Va.

In the section on Clay Twp., page 464: It says Valentine came up from Va. about 1815 and settled in Paint Twp. During war of 1812 , while the British threatened to take Washington, he assisted in securing archives and documents by wagon and taking them to safe places. Son Philip lived on the homestead (in 1880) in Paint with George nearby. Son henry moved to clay Twp. in 1842. Eli, his brother, also moved to Clay in 1860. Not positive if Eli was Valentine's son or brother. May mean brother to Henry. Not sure.

Found that Valentine left will dated 1833. Heirs named include wife Catherine, and children: John, Elizabeth Tanner, Valentine, Abraham, George, Catherine Brock, Phillip, Barbery, Henry and Mary. Also mentions son-in-law, John Tanner.

Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic