Search for content in message boards

Elias George

Elias George

Tom O'Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 9:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: George
My wife is descended from Elias George via his lovely daughter Sarah Louise George Tompkins Spect (who took the last name Tompkins back for the last few years of her life.)

I presume Elias was a good fire-and-brimstone preacher of the Southern tradition. He may just have been very stern. He certainly looked it in this box of (very) old pictures my wife's grandfather had.

So, being as how this is going to be listed as a Query, here's my question:

Anybody interested in scans of a couple of photos of Elias and a few of his kids? I have Elias looking to be about in his thirties, and as an old man. I have several of his daughters also. Let me know. I am scanning as I type.

Later.

--Tom__

P.S. Hi, Evelyn! Hi, Chuck!

Re: Elias George

Posted: 29 Jul 2004 9:57PM GMT
Tom,

I would love to post any photographs you have of Rev. Elias George and his family on the Union Parish archives. It would also be nice to have a biography on him, if you happen to have one available.

Do you know where he lived prior to settling in Union Parish? My ancestor Rev. George Everett knew Elias George, as they preached at some of the same churches.

Thanks,

Tim Hudson

Chuck Kinnison (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2004 3:03PM GMT
Tom...Great to hear from you again!! Yes, I'd love any photos you've scanned!

As to your question about Fire & Brimstone preaching, I don't know of any written accounts of Grandpa George's sermons that sent the congregations swooning, although he was most certainly influential. I say that with confidence as he started Liberty Baptist Church near Marion (1850), Friendship Baptist Church near Dubach (1850-51), and was the second Pastor of First Baptist Church of Farmerville (1860)...all within a span of about 10 years. After the War of Northern Aggression, he relocated to what is today Tangipahoa Parish in southeast Louisiana and either started or pastored churches around Tickfaw and Hammond.

Sarah Masling (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2004 7:01PM GMT
I would like to have copies of any pictures; especially if it involves Liberty Baptist Church. My gggrandparents were all active there. If possible, please post them to the the Union Parish website. Thanks

Chuck Kinnison (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2004 1:29PM GMT
Tim,

My GGG-Grandfather, Rev Elias George was part of the large emigration to Union Parish from Marion/Perry County, AL. He wasn't the first to arrive here, but joined several others who'd moved before him. Grandpa George and his family settled in U.P. in the spring of 1848. For a complete story on their emigration to Union Parish, please refer to "The Memoirs of Louise George Tompkins," on the usgenweb site. The URL is http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la/union/bios/tompkins....

Louise George Tompkins was Tom O'Kelley's wife's direct ancestor, and was a sister to my GG-Grandfather Elias George, Jr.

Posted: 9 Nov 2004 11:03PM GMT
could you send me pictures of this george.i am trying to find imformation on my grandad who was supose to be william george............thank you so much...........angelao1970@backroads.net

Posted: 21 Feb 2009 7:27PM GMT
Hello;
My name is Rodney Walters. I hope you still frequent the site. I am a offspring of one of Elias George Slaves and I was wondering if I could have copies of your pictures of Elias George for a family book I have been writing about Marion, LA. The my family surname is (Will). My family traveled with the Alabama slaveholders from Marion (Perry County)Alabama in 1844 to Union Parish.

Thank you
Rodney Walters
Rodney@the4rs.com

Posted: 12 May 2010 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: George
Tom,

I come down through Elias's Sister, Caroline, who married William McAdams, and through their Daughter, Melinda Josephine, who married William James Kelley in a ceremony officiated by Elias. Sarah Tompkins mentions her Aunt Caroline in her Memoir.

If you have any information or photographs on Elias or any of his family, I'd be obliged - John Paul Baremore johnpaulbaremore@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 12 May 2010 5:42PM GMT
Mr. Walters,

I would love to read an excerpt from your writing insofar as it describes your family during thier enslavement with the Georges if and when you have a spare moment. I come down through Elias's Sister, Caroline, who came from Perry County and settled in Union Parish near Elias in 1844. Were you able to determine whether your ancestor(s) were particularly described or mentioned by the Louisa George Tompkins memoir?

johnpaulbaremore@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 13 May 2010 2:07AM GMT
Mr. Baremore, thank you for responding. Ms. Tompkins memior do not mention my family but I believe one of her personal slaves who took care of the kids was my greatX3 grandmother although I have not yet proven that beyond a doubt. Her name was Julia and she died from the cholera outbreak when they arrived in Marion. My greatX2 grandfather, his brother and the $3000 slave John Thomson were some of Elias slaves. The surname of my family was (Will). None of the slaves took the George Surname but a couple of my relatives were name after some of the George family members e.g. Elias Will, Mary Will and George Will. I would love to be able to swap information with you especially pictures.I was able to get two from Mr, Kinnison of Mr. Elias George at age 40 and 80. I have a family reunion in Louisiana in July and I would love to get any information you might have about the family. I would likewise love to send you my biography of my greatX2 grandfather and also my greatX2 grandmother who was a slave of Lewis M. Powell. My Email address is rodney@the4rs.com If you need more general background information on me I am on Linkedin @ http://www.linkedin.com/in/rodneywalters
per page

Find a board about a specific topic