Search for content in message boards

Birth Certificates from Puerto Rico

Birth Certificates from Puerto Rico

Posted: 20 Apr 2009 9:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sierra Reyes
Received a form letter from el Departamento de Salud, Registro Demografico advising me that they could not send me a copy of my grandmother's birth certificate according to La Ley 24 del 22 de Abril 1931 which states, in part, that only the mother, father, children or legal representative are authorized to apply for another person's birth certificate. My grandmother was born in 1895 and she, her mother and father, and all her children are deceased. Can anyone tell me where I can write to obtain the document?

Re: Birth Certificates from Puerto Rico

Posted: 21 Apr 2009 6:27PM GMT
Have you checked the LDS Family History Centers Film Library.
for what city are you looking for?
I have a lot of films on permanent loan at my local FHC for Hatillo.
This me know if I can help.
Miguel

Posted: 22 Apr 2009 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: Sierra, Reyes
Thank you for your response. I have tried the LDS looking for my grandmother, but they have no record of her. I believe she was born in Humacao in 1895. I have written to the health department in San Juan to inquire if there is an exception to their law. I simply cannot believe that no legal mechanism exists which would allow me to obtain my grandmother's birth certificate if all her immediate family is deceased. Thanks again for your help.

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: Pimentel, Laracuente
that's so depressing to hear, I was hoping to get my grandparents birth certificates as well...mine were born in San German...their last name is Pimentel...I believe the Laracuente's and Pimentel's are related...at least that is what I have been told...my aunt is Hilda Laracuente and she married Raymond Pimentel...do these names sound familiar to you?

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 9:18AM GMT
Here's another option for you to follow,

Contact the REGISTRO DEMOGRAFICO with a $5.00 money order and a pictured ID.
This time request a permission letter to conduct you genealogical research

“Autorización para visitar y/o escribir a los Registros con relación al árbol genealógico familiar"
This approach worked for me in the year 2000 hopefully it will also work for too.

Once received send a copy of this permission letter with your next request
Please understand that I do not know if this procedure is still in place.

Good luck

Ariel Blondet

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Gimenez, Rivera, Ramos, Naar
Here is are two links for you to read the guidelines.
When you write, send a copy of your Drivers License, copy of your Birth Certificate, relationship to this person and as much info as you have. The law is BS. Advice in your letter this is for Genealogy purposes. Make sure you make copies of all your request and money order. Then sit and wait. It may take three months or more.

http://www.vitalrec.com/pr.html

http://www.salud.gov.pr/Programas/RegistroDemografico/Pages/...

I did it and got it for my grandmother and my mother. Also if you know the town she/he was born find the Catholic Church in that town and write to them also. Do the same a above. Been there done that. It just takes them foreever. Puerto Rico personell in these depatrmnets are in no hurry to help you with Genealogy reserach. Sad but true.

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 7:23PM GMT
Thanks to all of you for your ideas. Have already tried some, will try others. It took me two years and a lot of letters to obtain my mother's birth certificate from Puerto Rico, so I am familiar with the the time it takes to get documents from there. Patience and persistance does pay off.

Posted: 24 Apr 2009 1:41PM GMT
Good day to All!
You should visit a Family History Ctr, and request the microfilm you are interested on. They have all the records from El Registro up to 1996. You can also request the baptismal record. If you have the right info is easier to get. The Mormons also have records from some of our Diocesis.

Posted: 21 May 2009 5:24AM GMT
Hi, this is all new and i appreciate the information. However, I gather it may be a waste of my time to visit PR this summer and requests birth, death, baptismal certificates for my ancestors. Some may not even be available but I do have the 1920 & 1930 census from both maternal and paternal grandparents. If I showed them my birth certificate and state ID, do suppose that may be enough? Thank you for sharing. NBO

Posted: 21 May 2009 11:42AM GMT
No, it does not work that way. I sent you a direct e-mail on this.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions