Search for content in message boards

Best Geneaology Software

Best Geneaology Software

Posted: 15 Mar 2013 10:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
What does everyone recommend as the best geneaology software to purchase for personal use?

Re: Best Geneaology Software

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 2:33PM GMT
The one you are most comfortable with is the 'best' for you. For me it might be something different. Try as many as you can before you decide. All that said... I find The Master Genealogist to be best for me.

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 7:57PM GMT

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 11:12PM GMT
Andy makes a good point, "Only you can decide." I use a different program than Andy and I've been active in Genealogy for decades as has he. Each program has Pros and Cons. Each program uses a slightly different approach to data entry, or is more point and click, or has features that may help (or hurt) your research.

Try them, ask at your local genealogy club, they are all over the place. If you have friends or relatives that have recent copies, ask to try them out.

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 8:29PM GMT
Also, a lot of them you can download a trial version to test it out. I've done that found none of them give me precisely what I want, so you just have to decide which you are more comfortable using and what gives you the most features you want.

Posted: 8 May 2013 8:53PM GMT
I use the Ancestry.com program Family Tree Maker 2012.

Posted: 9 May 2013 7:49PM GMT
Does this work with a Mac computer?

Posted: 9 May 2013 9:53PM GMT
Are you asking, "Does Family Tree Maker come in a version for the Mac?"

The answer is yes. You should check the "Genealogy Software->Family Tree Maker(Mac) board at this address:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.software.ftmmac/mb.ashx

for help in determining if the software meets your needs.

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 1:43AM GMT
Oh so Ancestry.com makes stand alone software called family Tree Maker? In that case can I export what I have here online into Family Tree maker?

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 2:37AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2013 2:39AM GMT
Yes, but you can also export a GEDCOM that can be shared to other software as well.

The biggest question is what data will you loose when you move to FTM or others and do you like the new software well enough to be locked into that product? This question be us back to Andy's and my original point.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic