Search for content in message boards

How can I transfer tree from ancestry to software?

How can I transfer tree from ancestry to software?

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 8:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello
I have been doing my trees on ancestry for several years and I would like to transfer it onto something as a back up, also to be able to print out sections of the tree from a program, which software would I need to buy?, can anyone recommend one, and is it easy to do?.

I still will keep my ancestry tree running.

Sorry for so many questions
many thanks in advance
Kathy

Re: How can I transfer tree from ancestry to software?

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 12:28PM GMT
Kathy,

You can download your tree info as a GEDCOM and import it into almost any modern Genealogy software program. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses. Try as many as you can before deciding. I myself use The Master Genealogist.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 1:03PM GMT
Hi,
If I transfer it to the one that you use, would it keep it private to me i.e. it won't be in the public domain?

many thanks for your quick reply
Kathy

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 1:17PM GMT
Kathy,

Once it is in GEDCOM format it downloads to your computer and from that point on only you can upload it to the internet - unless you give someone else a copy of the file.

I'd suggest you go to Ancestry's Learning Center and read up on GEDCOMS and how they work as you sound somewhat unfamiliar with the whole genealogy software subject, having only used online stuff until now.

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 2:09PM GMT
Hi thanks for all the information, I will do what you have suggested

Kathy

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 1:31AM GMT
If you have images and/or source images linked to your tree, a GEDCOM may not be the way to go as it does not transfer images.

Regards,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions