Search for content in message boards

Givens-Pleasant Co., WV

Givens-Pleasant Co., WV

Posted: 28 Jul 2000 11:46AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2002 7:39PM GMT
Looking for the family of Andrew Givens b. Jan. 1823 in PA and his wife, Ann or Pleasey Ann who are found 1880 census in Pleasant Co. WV. Their daughter, Elizabeth, b. 1865 in Ohio married Aaron W. Smith.

Andrew Givens

Posted: 1 Aug 2000 5:29PM GMT
Edited: 27 Aug 2001 9:28PM GMT
Hi, Andrew Givens born 1/24/1823 and died 8/6/1900 and is buried at the Pine Grove Church of Christ cemetery off St Rt 2 near St marys,WV (Pleasants Co). His wife Pleasy Ann born 12/26/1825 and died 10/19/1907 and is also buried there. This info is from their cemetery markers. I don't have anything on Elizabeth except that she married a Smith. I attended this Givens family reunion several years ago to see if I could connect to them. I am pretty sure I do but I haven't found out how. Joyce Sims, wife of Larry Sims of Wood co,WV has worked on this line. Don't know if she has an email address. I have a copy of Andrew's death certificate. It lists his parents as I S Givens. Don't know who they were.
Do you happen to know if Andrew had a brother John born 1809?
Thanks.
Lia

RE:Givens

Posted: 2 Aug 2000 7:47AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2002 7:39PM GMT
Elizabeth Givens m. Aaron C. Smith in 1882, Pleasant Co., WV. She is buried at the Smith May Cemetery there. I don't find Andrew Givens in Pleasant Co. until 1880 census listing wife, Ann and children Elizabeth, Nancy J. and Zila who married Albert Hemsworth 1/12/1895. Ann indicates in 1900 census that she was the mother of 11 children with 7 living. He was born in Pa with father b. Pa and mother b. VA. Pleasey Ann was b. in VA, her father b. OH and her mother b. OH. I do not know who I and S Givens are.

Re: Andrew Givens

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 2:06AM GMT
Classification: Death
Surnames: Givens, Cox
Liz: I am Andrew Givens' great-great granddaughter. My name is Ruth Joan Givens, and I seem to be the last of the Givens who are descendants of one of his sons--James H. born in Monroe County, Ohio, in 1850. James H. married Marinda Ellen Cox, born in Monroe County in 1851. Her parents were James and Matilda Cox of Maryland. James and Marinda moved to Pleasants County, WV, sometime in the 1870s with two sons: Oliver and my grandfather, Albert Wesley. Marinda, like her mother-in-law, also had 11 children! I read this message sometime ago and have been trying to trace I. and S. Givens both in PA and WV--VA at the time that Matilda and Andrew were married. I've had no luck so far. If we had any idea what county I. and S. emigrated from, we might have some luck in tracing them. I'm still too busy trying to discover more information about James and Marinda's family to do much about James' or Marinda's siblings. I would really like to have a copy of Andrew's death certificate. If you will e-mail me at rgivens@ma.rr.com, I will be glad to pay for the copying and to send you a self-addressed envelope. Joan Givens, Fairmont, WV

Re: RE:Givens

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 2:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Liz: CORRECTION: In spite of the fact that I proofread my message three times, I overlooked an error that would throw any researcher off: Andrew didn't marry his son's mother-in-law Matilda!! I should have said Pleasy Ann or Ann. Joan Givens
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions