Search for content in message boards

Pence family in WV

Pence family in WV

Sharon (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2000 6:56PM GMT
I'm just getting started in an attempt to trace the family pedigree, and I'm not doing so well. I know my grandfather, Meveral Pence, is from Monroe county in West Virginia, and that he had several brothers (Merle?). I started to search the message board, but there were literally hundreds and hundreds there, so I thought I'd ask if anyone's connected to them in any way. I tried the world tree search using his name, but came up blank. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks so much. Sharon L. Pence, Charleston, WV

WestVa Pence Family

Posted: 25 Nov 2000 3:18PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 3:36PM GMT
Dear Sharon, Jacob and Valentine Pence(Bentz, Pentz, Pence)came to Virginia in 1700's. My ancestor, Jacob, settled in Monroe County, WVA. Have more info if you are interested. Natalie

Pence WV

Sharon (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2000 5:28PM GMT
Natalie, thanks so much for your response. I haven't been able to make much headway, as even my grandfather can trace the family only as far back as his own grandfather (at least that's all I have in the notes he's made). My grandfather, Meverell Pence (who married Mary Evelyn Mann) is the son of Delonia Pence and Salome Weikle. Delonia's father was Henry Pence who married Mary Burdette. Are any of those names familiar to you? I really appreciate your help. Thanks so much! Sharon Pence, Charleston, WV

Polly Pence

Susan Bell (Deems) (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2000 5:24PM GMT
I thought I'd add a new twist to your dilemma. My grandfather was married to a lady by the name of Polly Pence and they had several children. I believe that most of them kept the last name Pence. Does this fit in with your family tree somehow. I believe one of my grandfather's brothers whose name is Perry is actually a Pence. He was a politician in Michigan at one point.
I'd love to hear from you. I am from Alberta, Canada and so far this year we only had a skiff of snow and it hasn't been too cold yet.

Polly Pence

Sharon (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2000 5:09AM GMT
Susan, hi! Believe it or not, it's only 15 degrees here in the Middle Atlantic this morning. West Virginia's generally never this cold in December, so it's something of a shock. I can't find a Polly in the lineage so far, but there *was* a Pauline, who was the dauaghter of Andrew Preston Pence (b. 1881, d. 1955) and Lula (Liza?) Baker (b. 1884). I suppose it's possible Polly was a nickname, although I've no other information on Pauline at all. Andrew and Lula/Liza were married in 1904. Do any of those dates come close to matching what you know about Polly? I don't have a Perry listed anywhere either. Is there anymore you can tell me about him? Thanks! Sharon

Pence's

Dennis C. Pence (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2001 7:38AM GMT
Sharon,

I am the grandson of Rev. John Logan Pence. b. 1880 probably in North Carolina. He remembered coming from North Carolina to Missouri (then to Ky.) in a covered wagon. This group of Pence's is originally out of the Hawksbill Pence's (Shenandoah (SP) Valley in Virginia. The Bentz, Pentz to Pence seems to hod true with most of us. Surprisingly out of Germany I am told. I can put you in touch with a Leonard Pence (Texas) and a Gary Pence (Wisconsin) which could possibly help you. Most of the last 5 generations of our Pence's came from Wolfe County Ky. There is actually a small establishment called Pence's branch there. I live i Dallas,Tx (born and raised in Ohio and Ky.). Hope this helps in some small way. God bless

Pence's

Dennis C. Pence (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2001 7:42AM GMT
Natalie,

I am currently from Texas, but from the same line of Pence's you mentioned. I have been able to track back to Jacob and Valentine, but would like to fill in some holes. My Grandfather, Rev. John Logan Pence (Wolfe County) Ky. b. circa 1880 was the son of William Henry Pence (I think) that came to Wolfe County from Missouri, via North Carolina, via Virginia or W. Virginia. Any assistance would be appreciated.

God bless,
Dennis Pence

Pences in West Virginia

Posted: 17 Feb 2001 5:17PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jun 2002 4:03AM GMT
My Dad's family history is sketchy, but I understand that they lived in West Virginia at one time. My great-great-grandfather's name was Jefferson Davis Pence. I believe he later worked in Oklahoma on a ranch, later married a woman with the last name Lipscomb, eventually settling near Onsted (Onstead?) Michigan. I would be interested in any early history of the family.
Posted: 17 Mar 2001 1:07PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 2:40AM GMT
Greetings. Do you know if William Henry Pence had a son named Sidney Pence?
THanks!
Posted: 5 Jun 2001 2:24PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jul 2001 1:30AM GMT
Sharon I have some info on Meverell Pence if you would like it just send me an email. I just happen to be working on the Pence family history and this name is in my papers. I married a Pence from Monroe County, WV but live in NC now. We are both from WV. I'm from Greenbrier County. Let me hear from you, Cheryl
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions