Search for content in message boards

Merchant Seamans Orphan Asylum in Wanstead

Merchant Seamans Orphan Asylum in Wanstead

Posted: 18 Nov 2011 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROUGH
Does anyone know who to contact to get information from the archives of the orphanage? The address I got from the internet was "The Archivist, Bearwood College". However, I have written to the college and sent a message through their website but to date have not even had a reply!
I would be most grateful if any one can help.
I am trying to get information about my wife's great aunt Sarah Brough who appears on the 1891 census as a ward of the institution.

Re: Merchant Seamans Orphan Asylum in Wanstead

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 6:41PM GMT

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 4:31PM GMT
The Merchant Seamen's Orphan Asylum, founded in Bow in 1827, moved to Wanstead. Later became the Royal Merchant Seamen's Orphanage at Snaresbrook, moved to Bearwood, Berkshire 1920/21, Later became Royal Merchant Navy School, school changed form (Foundation still exists) and became independent boys' school, Bearwood College, became fully co-educational again about 10 years ago. Archives complete from 1827 (complete list of all scholars up in Gym corridor) Archivist John Hann, always very helpful and very knowledgeable, suggest you contact him personally.

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 4:56PM GMT
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my query. I received a letter from John Hann on Tuesday this week with all the information I asked for and more. He has gone out of his way to help me and I have written back to him to express my gratitude.
Once again, thanks for your interest.
Delyce Titmuss

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 5:44PM GMT
Glad you got your reply - John is usually very efficient. If Sarah Brough really was there her name will be up on the Boards in the gym corridor - yes it is a very long corridor - for many years to come. Good luck.

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 3:10PM GMT
Hiya,

I'm looking into the ancestors of my husband and appear to have traced one to the Royal Merchant Seaman's Orphanage in Wanstead - I believe this is the same place....
I see you have contacted a Mr John Hann for details of children there.
Could you possibly let me have the address so I can contact him myself? My email if needed is angirandall@yahoo.co.uk

Posted: 1 Sep 2012 6:02PM GMT
You have to be a bit careful as I think there has been some confusion between the Wanstead Infant Orphan Asylum and the Merchant Navy Orphan Asylum at Snaresbrook which became the Royal Merchant Seamens' Orphanage and in 1922 left Snaresbrook and moved to Bearwood in Berkshire, later becoiming the Royal Merhant Navy School and even later becoming an independent school Bearwood College. The Royal Merchant Navy Foundation still exists (google both). There has been much coming and going between Bearwood College and the Foundation of late but I think they have solved all their differences now and the question of the Archives and its preservation is under discussion at the moment as no one is quite sure where they will end up. However if you write to John Hann c/o Bearwood College I think you will get an answer, if the child was there there will be a record. Main thing is, are you absolutely sure the father was in the Merchant Navy. If not, it is more likely the child was in the Wanstead orphanage. Good luck.

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 6:58PM GMT
All I have is that she was in 'The Royal Merchant Seaman's orphanage, Herman Hill, Wanstead, Essex' in 1911 census, along with her brother. Their father had died in 1908, and mother had placed them into the establishment.
Does this sound like the right place?

Posted: 3 Sep 2012 10:26PM GMT
I never heard the place referred to as other than "Snaresbrook", but apparently Snaresbrook was oroginally a hamlet in the parish of Wanstead which is perhaps why some people say Wanstead. I have actually seen a photo of the current Magistrates' Court (or something similar) which someone claimed was the RMSO which is quite wrong. The RMSO Snaresbrook buildings became part of Whipps Cross Hospital which is on Hermon Hill so that is probably the right place. They would only have been at the RMSO if their father was in the Merchant Service, but the only way to settle the matter is to write to John Hann and ask if he has a record of the names.

Posted: 9 Sep 2012 3:58PM GMT
Thanks for your help. I'll send him a letter then.
Do you happen to have a proper address for him other than just the 'c/o' ?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic