Search for content in message boards

Print my Index of Individuals?

Print my Index of Individuals?

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 2:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
I haven't yet found a way to just print out a simple index of all the individuals in my tree (either in FTM for Mac, OR the index of individuals in my on-line tree). Is there a way to do this? I really need to compare that index with the index of individuals in my Reunion file to be sure I've got all the same people in both. Doing it by scrolling is very inefficient (and causes major eye strain).

Re: Print my Index of Individuals?

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 10:16AM GMT
You can print an index in any version of FTM through the custom report

John D

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 2:20PM GMT
Judith

As John says the facilty to produce a list exists under Custom Report, however whether someone who has had problems with the program is actually able to do so will depend on how many individuals you have and probably the configuration of your machine. My copy of FTMM is rapidly approaching the point where it will simply give up as it chugs towards 3GB of memory usage.
Tony

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 8:42PM GMT
Thanks, Tony and John. I found it and was able to generate one for a family of over 8,000 people with no problem. However, FTMM makes it really difficult to simply export the report into your own favored, default word processor so you can reformat it as you choose. That is, ALL I wanted is an alphabetical list of names (no dates or places), last name first. Then, to be able to print it with minimal paper use, I'd like to format it in 2 or 3 columns, to decrease the number of trees (botanical, not genealogical) killed. It appears one can't simply save the report as an RTF or text file to a folder on the computer to pick up and handle with a word processor; it has to be used WITHIN FTM, unless you want to go through the process of exporting it as a CSV file, then putting it into a simple document. What a hassle. At least my favorite program, Reunion, allows me to save my reports as RTF documents using my own default word processor. Then I can easily manipulate them however I want.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 11:43PM GMT
I would Share it as a csv file rather than RTF and open it in Word as a table or Excel/Access as a table

John D

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 5:31AM GMT
Yeah, for this report that would be fine. But it doesn't appear any other, more "narrative" type report can be exported to doodle with in my word processor either such as perhaps inserting a photo here and there, resizing it, perhaps moving it or making text wrap around it, adding some personal comments...that kind of thing.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 6:20AM GMT
You can drop a csv file into Word and it converts to a nice table with allthe table functionality

You can then dress it up to suit

John D

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 6:47PM GMT
Do you have iWork?

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 7:46PM GMT
No, I use Microsoft Word.

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 7:46PM GMT
No, I use Microsoft Word.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions