Search for content in message boards

Want an "audit" function to detect likely errors in a tree

Want an "audit" function to detect likely errors in a tree

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 2:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Have you given consideration to an "audit" function that would search through a tree and detect relationships where the years don't make sense? Things to detect would be like the following:
(1) Married before age 10;
(2) Married after the death of either spouse;
(3) Children born before age 10 of the mother or father;
(4) Children born after age 50 of the mother;
(5) Death more than 110 years after birth.
These conditions could raise red flags (like the green leaves) to alert you that something is likely wrong.

Re: Want an "audit" function to detect likely errors in a tree

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 3:49AM GMT
These functions are readily available in most stand-alone genealogy software programs, either PC or Mac.

Your best bet in bringing this to Ancestry's attention is to send them Feedback requesting this feature. As well, see if commenting on their FaceBook page gets an answer.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 4:23AM GMT
"Your best bet in bringing this to Ancestry's attention is to send them Feedback requesting this feature."

If that is true, why bother having a board named "Ancestry Improvements?"

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 4:45AM GMT
Is the function in their Family Tree Maker product for the PC?

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 2:48PM GMT
Yes, there's a reporting function in Family Tree Maker that provides this. There's probably the same function in most of the major pieces of software; RootsMagic, Legacy, etc.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 4:13PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jun 2013 4:16PM GMT
"These functions are readily available in most stand-alone genealogy software programs, either PC or Mac."

So what? Do you really think that the people who allow these types of errors in their trees in the first place are going to obtain another piece of software, export their data from Ancestry, import it into said software, run report, make corrections, export data and load back into Ancestry? HaHaHa!

The request was for a built-in function within Ancestry Member Trees, and it is a great request - often asked for by users, always ignored by Ancestry.

To go one step further, said function should automatically run a date-validation check every time a person record is created or edited, and not allow it to be saved if impossible inconsistencies exist.

Posted: 10 Jun 2013 6:54PM GMT
I actually did get a warning from Ancestry.com the other day when I edited a child's birth year; it informed me that the year fell outside the mother's reproductive years.

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 3:58AM GMT
There are indeed such limited warnings for *new* individual entries, but they are not applied to old trees or uploaded GEDCOM files.

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 4:13AM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2013 4:43AM GMT
I just added a new child (born 1985) to my grandmother's profile (born 1909). ACCEPTED.

I rarely play around with Ancestry Member Tree functionality, because it usually makes me crazy. Once again, I was not disappointed.

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 4:34AM GMT
Did you have a death date entered for your grandmother? If not, that may be why no warning was given. Of course, if you did, then it's anyone's guess as to why. (Obviously, a programming issue...)

I find the warning feature to be sketchy, at best. It'll also give a warning if I'm trying to attach a child to a living couple that includes a 2nd wife even if you've selected the 2nd spouse. The warning asks if you really want to save this child because the birth date is after the mother's death. The programming always recognizes the 1st wife's date of death when entering subsequent children with a 2nd wife.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions