Search for content in message boards

Greanoke, PA: David Andrew Burt: Help!

Greanoke, PA: David Andrew Burt: Help!

ken (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2000 3:22AM GMT
I received a copy of the Social Security information for my grandfather, David Andrew Burt, and was immediately confronted with another mystery.

He gives his date of birth as June 27, 1875 (confirming what we already had) but gives his place of birth as Greanoke, Penna. (I have looked at this under 5x and 15x magnification to be sure that is what is written) The problem is that I can find NO reference to a Greanoke, PA. Nothing is listed in the list of polling places, nor the list of post offices, nor an old map of PA. from 1889. The closest place name today is Green Oaks, Venango County, PA or Greenoke, Scotland. (family oral history (myth) has it that either my grandfather (this person) or his father were born in Scotland. He lists his father as John Burt (632 hits in the db, but none married to the right person) and mother as Rebecca Bovaird. (I figure they were born abt. 1850)

Any help in tracking down ANY information here would be most appreciated!

Ken
http://burtsonline.net/ken/ancestor.htm

Green Oak, PA

Posted: 26 Aug 2000 12:36PM GMT
Edited: 21 Dec 2004 9:09AM GMT
Hi .. I grew up in Allegheny County near McKeesport, PA.( near Pittsburgh) There is a little town on the Youghegheny River called Green Oak. It could also be in Westmoreland County. Hope this helps!

Green Oak, PA

ken (View posts)
Posted: 26 Aug 2000 6:14PM GMT
Thank you for the information! This is a possible match. My gfather was supposed to be educated, so I am surprised at his spelling, but can find no other explanation since no one has ever heard of Greanoke, PA. (I would assume it to be pronounced like Roanoke, VA) I will have to find out if Green Oak has records going back to 1875 and track it down from there.

Again, thank you so much for the information. This may well be a piece of the puzzle.

Ken
http://burtsonline.net/ken/ancestor.htm

Re: Greanoke, PA: David Andrew Burt: Help!

Diana Gonzalez (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2004 1:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, Ken -
I just found your posting 4 years late! You might give Greenock or Grenock, Pa. a try. It is in Allegheny County. The Elizabeth Township Heritage Society is a good place to start.
Diana

Re: Green Oak, PA

Posted: 21 Apr 2005 4:59AM GMT
This is an old posting, but incase you never found the info you was looking for, it goes like this.

The small town is called Greenock. It is near McKeesport, PA. It has 2 zip codes, one being a McKeesport code of 15132 and it has a Greenock code of 15047. If you still have any questions, feel free to write.
kirao88@yahoo.com
Belinda Holland

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 11:42AM GMT
Are you still searching for information on David Andrew Burt

Posted: 4 May 2013 2:22PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 4 May 2013 2:25PM GMT
Surnames: Burt
On her marriage license application, Rebecca shows her father's place of birth at Greenoak, PA or possibly Greenook, PA. The letter before the "k" looks like an "a" but I can also see it as an "o."

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF7H-VXC
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions