Search for content in message boards

Color Coding of Individuals in Pedigree View

Color Coding of Individuals in Pedigree View

Posted: 12 Jun 2013 3:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
I typically work on my family tree in Pedigree view and I often find myself working on multiple branches at one. I would really like to see some ability to color code the boxes of the individuals of the tree with a good amount of user flexibility in how these colors are selected and applied.

I'm specifically thinking of the case where I can select a color for all of the individuals that I have a very high confidence are recorded accurately, another color where I may be less certain of the facts and another color to indicate the end of a branch by virtue of no further records vs. and end of a branch where I still have work to do. I think this would be a great aid to provide some easy visuals cues for working trees that are still a work in progress. Having the ability to toggle all colors on and off would also be important.

Re: Color Coding of Individuals in Pedigree View

Posted: 23 Jun 2013 8:31PM GMT
I love this idea!!!! What a help it would be.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 2:15AM GMT
There are SO many broken issues that need fixing first!

Who decides for you which person/line is "high confidence"? Do we all get to vote?

NO ONE should be in your ACTIVE public tree unless they are proven. Have suspected ancestors? Put them in a private "working/suspected" tree.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 2:35AM GMT
Ah yes, I should have included the point that you brought up in my original post -- that any color coded individuals would only be visible to the owner of the tree. In my mind, this would be a tool where authors can set up some visual cues to provide a bit more order and clarity for large trees under development.

I concur, that any color coded trees out in the wild in a public would be a mess.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 2:55AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2013 3:37AM GMT
"Do we all get to vote?"

Why would you or anyone else expect a vote on someone else's personal assessments/preferences? I think this idea has some merit...not that you'll ever see it implemented.

Posted: 24 Jun 2013 2:59AM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2013 3:37AM GMT
"...any color coded trees out in the wild in a public would be a mess."

Not sure why. It's simply a reflection of the owner's personal assessments/preferences.

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 1:05PM GMT
I was just looking for color-coding options and thought it's just my lack of knowledge that I couldn't find the option. That's such a standard tool, I can't believe it's not here! I have many different family branches living in different countries and I wanted to color-code according to the countries so that I keep track... So disappointing this option doesn't exist. Why?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions