Search for content in message boards

Native American 'TAINO' Puerto Rican ancestory

Native American 'TAINO' Puerto Rican ancestory

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 5:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: APONTE, NIEVA, QUINONES, HORACIO
My mtdna confirms Taino ancestory from Puerto Rico in my maternal lineage. The records that I do have are from MAYAGUEZ, PR. for my great grandmothers line up to abt 1880.

Taino ancestors

grandmother Lydia HORACIO NIEVA b. MAYAGUEZ, PR 1925/ d. 2005 Bronx, NY

great grandmother Inocencia QUINONES NIEVA b. MAYAGUEZ, PR. 1904/ d. 1925

great great grandmother Guadalupe NIEVA APONTE b. MAYAGUEZ,PR 1879/ d. unknown

great great great grandmother Juana APONTE I assume she also is from MAYAGUEZ since she is Taino b. abt 1860/ d. unknown

I really need to know more of the Taino history in MAYAGUEZ... names of the tribes and chiefs... any information on what happened when MAYAGUEZ would have been settled to the Taino families...

and if anyone shares the same last names and possible history PLEASE contact me directly if needed.

Re: Native American 'TAINO' Puerto Rican ancestory

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 6:07PM GMT
Hi,
My mtDNA shows Haplogroup A which is Indian, possibly Taino. My family was also from Mayaguez but our surnames are:
1. Great grandmother- Carmen María VALENTÍN Borrero-b.abt. 1853 either in Mayaguez or Canary Islands. She lived in Mayaguez and married José Vicente Ramón GONZÁLEZ de la Rivera-b.1846 in Mayaguez.
2. 2nd. great grandmother Catalina BORRERO-b.Canary Islands. She married Agustín (José) VALENTÍN-b.Canary Islands.
My grandfather, Marcos Aurelio GONZÁLEZ Valentín, and all his siblings were born in Mayaguez. So was my mother and some of her siblings. I know this would be Y DNA but I mention my grandfather in case you know of this family.
Since I do not know more names in this mtDNA line, and I know my great grandmother might have been born in the Canary Islands, I am supposing that my Indian connection comes from further back. Possibly one of my Spanish ancestors came to PR, fell in love with an Indian lady, took her to Spain or the Canaries and later their descendants, my great grandmother and her family, came to PR in the mid 1800's. They settled in Mayaguez and had some family in Añasco.
My grandfather's half nephew was married to Socorro APONTE Trabal from Mayaguez. Of the surnames you mention, that is the only one I see in our tree.
I will look for some web sites I have with some Indian information and send them in another e-mail.
Evelyn

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 1:39PM GMT
Hi Evelyn,

How did you get your MtDNA Haplogroup information?

Thanks,
Jovan

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 5:26PM GMT
Hi Jovan,
I had the 'Family Tree mtDNA Plus' test done on my grandfather's niece who is the daughter of his sister. This was the only way I could get the maternal line done, since my mother is the daughter of a son and it would not work thru her.
Now I am waiting for the results of the most complete test Family Tree does on the mtDNA and also the results from '23 And Me' which is another company. Hopefully we will learn more.
Evelyn

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 5:29PM GMT
Hi Jovan,
I just sent a reply but it went under my husband's name FCHutto. Please check that answer.
Thanks, Evelyn

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 5:41PM GMT
Hi Jovan,
I did have my own mtDNA test done to show my mother's maternal side which came back Haplogroup J1a, but the one that is the Haplogroup A is from my mother's paternal mother's side.
I forgot to explain this before.
Evelyn

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 8:56PM GMT
That is interesting because I ruled out the possibility of my maternal line ever coming from Spain once I noticed their ancestory was Taino... which is in fact the haplogroup A that confirms it. But now after hearing your story it can still be possible to have had ancestors leave and come back to PR. My grandmother had said her mother's family came from the Canary Islands. I have been trying to go as far back as I can... Do you still have the dna results of your paternal mother's family? please email it to me to see if my results match yours... we can turn out to very well be family.

email
inspvis@yahoo.com

~ Marcy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions