Search for content in message boards

Roka from Kaposvar

Roka from Kaposvar

Posted: 18 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Mar 2011 11:55PM GMT
Surnames: Roka
Need info on roka's in kaposvar hungary where my dad grew up.

Roka from Kaposvar

Gloria Roka (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2011 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Roka
Beginning a search for relatives of a Pete Roka of Elyria, Ohio. Would be my grandfather - had a son named Louis, one named Pete and another George - also a number of daughters.
Wife's name Mary Saraz (Spelling in question). My information shows a Louis who died May of 1983 and was born April 21, 1921. I am the daughter of son Pete. Looking for connections. Gloria Roka

Re: Roka from Kaposvar

Posted: 21 Nov 2001 5:06AM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2011 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: Roka, Rovka
I am David Rovka. I am researching my family history. The original spelling of my family’s name is in "ROKA" which had a mark over the “o”. Our family records show that my Great-Great Grandfather (Michael Roka), my Great Grandfather (John Francis Roka), and his brother immigrated to the US in 1904. My Great Grand Father changed his name to the more phonetically based “Rovka” so as to make it easier to understand. His brother is believed to have retained the original spelling. My only records show they came from Boydzas Ujlak, Zemplinska Solica Checkoslovakia. I have not been able to find any solid leads on these cities and am afraid that after a century of war the towns may have been ruined, lost, renamed, or fell on the other side of a border. Do any of these names sound familiar to anyone?

Posted: 22 Nov 2001 3:57AM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2011 11:57PM GMT
The village of your ancestors had the Hungarian name Bodzásújlak, aka Bodzás-Nagy-Újlak, and was in old Zemplén county. Today, the town is called Novosad and lies in the Slovak Republic (Czechoslovakia does not exist anymore).

LDS has microfilms with the records of the greek-catholic and the reformed parishes. If your ancestors were roman-catholics, you would need to establish where the parish was located, and these records would likely also be available on film from LDS. Establishing the location of the roman-catholic parish would not be difficult.

Re: Roka ancestory

Dave Rovka (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2001 7:27AM GMT
Surnames: Rovka, Roka, Nagy
Thank you for the reply! My family is Roman Catholic so I am assuming that the were probably the same in the old country. The name "Bodzás-Nagy-Újlak" is interesting since my great grandmothers maiden name is Nagy, It looks like the leadsare heating up again....

David Rovka (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2001 7:31AM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2011 11:58PM GMT
What is "LDS"

Posted: 23 Nov 2001 1:55PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2011 11:59PM GMT
Nagy means large or tall, and is the most frequent family name in Hungary. There is no relation at all to the name of the village.

LDS stands for Latter Day Saints.

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 2:11AM GMT
Hello I am also researching Roka - which is my grandfather Joseph - but he came from Hungary in the area of Vesprum - he came to Canada 1927 - is there any connections? Thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic