Search for content in message boards

obituary

Posted: 5 Apr 2011 4:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am searching for my g aunt Blanche Carpenter Erickson. She was married in 1917 to Thomas Erickson in Valley county. I found a death record for a Blanche Erickson as death date May 22, 1965, Daniels County. The birth date is off by 10 years but that may be an error. If you could find an obituary for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Roland Carpenter

Re: obituary

Posted: 11 May 2011 8:10PM GMT
Roland,
I did some research which indicated this was the wrong Blanche Erickson, then found the obit for the person indicated. It appears to me this is not the person you are seeking:

Ron Bestrom
Tacoma, WA

The May 28, 1965 edition of the Billings Gazette (Billings, MT)
Erickson Services Are Held at Scobey
Scobey ---
Funeral services for Mrs. Marie Blanche Erickson, wife of Conrad Erickson, were held Wednesday at the Scobey Lutheran Church with the Rev. Stanley Knudson officiating. Burial was in the Scobey Cemetery by the Waller Funeral Home.
She was born on May 3, 1889 in northern Manitoba, Canada. She grew up in Canada and married Conrad Erickson at Havre, MT, on Nov 2, 1918.
They moved to Chinook, where Erickson operated a clothing store. In 1927, Mr. and Mrs. Erickson moved to Scobey, where they purchased the Hanson Mercantile and began the Woodward Store, which Erickson operated for 25 years. In 1953 this business was sold.
Mrs. Erickson is survived by her husband; one brother, L.H. Adam of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and three sisters, Mrs. Bertha McFarlane, Mrs. Juliet Bretcher and Mrs. Florence Nuttal, all of Winnipeg.

The Montana Death Index:
Blanche Erickson, died 22 May 1965, age 76(1889), in Daniels County.
--If "your" record indicated a 10 year mistake, this record shows a 10 year "mistake" in year of birth (based on below), so was "your" Blanche's death in 1955?

The Social Security Death Index did not show this person. Which means she didn't have a Social Security Number, or her death wasn't reported to the Social Security Administration. In the 1950's and 60's a very large percentage of deaths were not reported.
Husband Conrad Erickson, SSN 517-01-9379, born 3 May 1887, "last residence" Malta, Phillips Co, MT., died Feb 1985.

The 1930 Census for Scobey, Daniels County, MT, enumerated April 5
Conrad Erickson, age 42, born in Sweden, immigrated 1900/naturalized, general merchant/dry goods.
Blanche Erickson, age 40(1879/1880), born in Canada (French Canadian) immigrated 1916, Alien (had not naturalized), age of first marriage 28(1917/1918).
---The age of marriage of this person matches your information on year of marriage; however this husband was Conrad. Was she French Canadian?

The 1920 Census fnds them in Havre, Hill County. She was 29. Census was enumerated on 31 January. In 1930 she was 40 by enumeration date. So this person appears to have been born between 1 Feb and April 4, 1880.

A border crossing from Canada to the US was recorded on August 9, 1942 at Raymond, MT. It identified:
--Conrad Erickson, born 6/3/1887 in Gofle, Sweden, last residence: Scobey, MT. (This DOB was a month off of DOB, based on below).
--Marie Blanche Erickson, born 5/3/1889 (was census off, or was she born a month earlier?) in Waterhen(hon?) River, Manitoba. Last permanent residence in Scobey, Montana.

World War I Draft Registration Card Image Database, Conrad Erickson born in Readville(?), Saskatchewan, Canada on May 3, 1887(same day of birth as Blanche ?). Railway brakeman. Single. Registrered on June 5, 1917.

I now start on a look for the correct person and will repost that info.

Posted: 12 May 2011 3:37AM GMT
The 1920 Census for School District 21, McCone County, MT
Thomas Erickson, age 33(1886/1887) Wisconsin, to father born in Sweden, mother in Norway (with those parents, he must have had a lot of inter-conflicting thoughts), farmer/general farm, Owned
Blance(as written) age 38(1881/1882) Wisconsin to both parents born in WI.
--This couple looks to be correct, but you would need your review of your data to identify

This "appears" to be the correct Thomas
The 1900 Census for Seymour, Eau Claire, WI
Andrew Erickson, May 1853, Norway to both parents born in Sweden
Minnie, May 1852, Norway
George, Oct 1885
Thomas, Jan 1887
Richard, April 1889.

The World War I Draft Registration Card Image Database:
Thomas Erickson, 30, born January 20, 1887 in Eau Claire, WI, living in Hay Coulee, MT; farmer, Single, registered on Jun 5, 1917 (National Registration Day). Hay Coulee is found to be a valley, it was found in Valley County, Toole, Blaine, Big Horn, Liberty County and others, He registered in Dawson County, which is neighboring to McCone Co and Valley Counties.

The World War II Draft Registration (The Old Man Draft). Thomas (NMN) Erickson, born Jan 20, 1887, in Eau Claire, WI, was living in Marysville, WA. He was working for William McMaster, McMaster Shingle Co, in Marysville. The "Name and Address of Person Who Will Always Know Your Address: Frank Bowe, Marysville, WA." He registered on April 27, 1942. He was 5'-11", 142 pounds, brown Hair, light complexion.
--The fact his wife was not identified as knowing his address does NOT mean anything. They "could" have divorced, separated. She could have died. They could be apart for some reason. Or, this is not the correct person....OR, what I usually find, he identified the name of a friend, rather than a family member.

The Washington Death Certificate database:
--Thomas Erickson, died 30 Sep 1928 in Everett, Snohomish Co, WA, age at death: 7 years, 3 months 7 days (June 23, 1921), parents were Thomas Erickson and Blanche Carpenter.
--Thomas Erickson, died 21 June 1957, Everett, Snohomish Co, WA, age 70 (1887). father was Andrew Erickson.
--Blanche Carpenter Erickson, died 3 June 1956 in Everett, Snohomish, WA, age 77 (1879). Spouse: Thomas Erickson, father Andrew Carpenter.
--These two "appear" to be the correct Blanche and Thomas; however, the young Thomas is either the wrong one, an adopted son, or a real surprise child.

I could not find them in the 1930 Census. So, I missed them, the census missed them in Washington/Montana, the record/notes of the enumerator were lost, the page wasn't copied for transcription.

If you have further information on the person you are seeking, their known Dates of birth, etc. that might help. There are other steps that can be used...once exact identity is established.

Ron Bestrom
Tacoma, WA

Posted: 12 May 2011 9:50PM GMT
Thank you for the info on Thomas and Blanche Erickson. Blanche is my half aunt. She was the daughter of my grandfather my Andres James Carpenter and his first wife Augusta ShefferCarpenter. She was bor abourt 1889 in Outagamie County Wisconsin and lived with her aunt and uncle Benjamin and Fannie Carpenter Bowe until she married. I had always assumed she belonged to another member of the Carpenter familoy in Wisconsin.
Their marriage certificate showed she was the daugher of Andrew Sr.

Thank you very much for the time and effort you put into your research, I means a great deal to me when I can learn more about my family.

Roland
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions