Search for content in message boards

John Horan

John Horan

Posted: 20 Jan 2003 11:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Feb 2004 11:35AM GMT
Surnames: Horan Ponsonby McLeod
My Horan family was from Chicago, but my grandfather's father (John) died approx 1888 as the story goes from being kick by a horse. He was a teamster. He married Mary Ponsonby and they had two sons Jeremiah who was president of the building service union and my grandfather John Francis. They also had a sister Nell who married a Frank Roach, was born in Oct 1882 My grandfather was born 1/30/1888 and not baptized until 6/2/1888, which was odd for Chicago Catholics unless this was a time when his father was injured.. His mother later remarried a man named David McLeod... Please advise if you have come across any of these names. thanks

Re: John Horan

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 3:41PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jun 2005 8:42PM GMT
I believe we may have some connection. My Grandmother's brother James married Elizabeth Ponsonby. Perhaps there is some connection. My Horan family will also from Chicago.

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 4:16PM GMT
Where abouts in Chicago was your Horan family from? Also what do you know about your Ponsonbys? Just looked at my greatgrandmother's death certificate and it showed father as John mother unknown but then it was her son-in-law filling out the info....

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 11:55PM GMT
Hello Again.

As far as I know the Horans always lived on the west side of Chicago. As far as to Ponsonbys - I often heard my grandmother mention them and James and Elizabeth had the following children - Martin, Milton, Bernice (Beck), Hazel (Bosworth), and Edna (Kopp).

My relationship to the Horans is through my grandmother - Helen (Nellie) Horan who married Frank Kennedy. The following are the names of her brothers and sisters. Matthew, Martin (married Madeleine Dunn), James (married Elizabeth Ponsonby), John (Spouse unknown but children were Marcella, Clement, Sherman and others - they loved on the South Side of Chicago), Mary ( also known as Manie - married Stuart Rotchford, Hannah( married Robert Nickle and they lived near Streator),Eugene (married Nellie Mackey, Thomas who died as an infant and Catherine (Katie who married Thomas McAuliff. Does any of this sound familiar? I have a family picture of all of this Horan Family.

Hope this will help you.

Posted: 22 Jan 2003 12:03AM GMT
My Horan family lived on the West Side of Chicago as far as I know. My grandmother was Helen (Nellie) Horan and she married Frank Kennedy. The Horan family was very large. The children were: Matthew, Martin(Madelein Dunn), James (Elizabeth Ponsonby), John(?_, Mary(Manie Rotchford), Hannah Nickell, Eugene ( Nellie Mackey), Thomas, Catherine (Katie McAuliff),

Does any of this sound familiar? I hope so. I have a family picture of all of them.

Posted: 22 Jan 2003 1:40AM GMT
My Horan family is also from the west side, but those names don't sound familiar.... I have pictures of some of them One picture of Jeremiah is a spitting image of the James Horan, the fire marshall who died in the stockyard fire of Dec 1910, even though we don't know if there is a relationship, we know they aren't siblings... anyways until I get my scanner fixed you can go to my brother's website and check out these two pictures
http://www.clannhoran.com/johnhoran.htm and
http://www.clannhoran.com/horanbunch.htm
The only Horans in that picture are Mary Ponsonby Horan McLeod (third from left top row) John Horan (next to her) and seated Nell Horan Roach Don't know where the others were when this picture was taken as Jeremiah's (Jerry's) daughter is one of the little girls

this took me two times to type as my security locked me off the internet and I lost the first one.... the fun of internet security!!!

Posted: 25 Jan 2003 7:19PM GMT
Idon't know if you got my e-mail message but I wanted to tell you that my great-grandfather came to America with two brothers. The oldest was to take care of the two younger ones but he died shortly after reaching America. My greatgrandfather will very young but somehow the two reached Illinois - working their way helping on farms. Does any of this sound familiar? I think this is an older generation than the one you are seeking. My GGF was born in 1837 in Dumskeith, Tipperary. Any help?

Posted: 18 Mar 2003 5:09AM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2004 4:19AM GMT
Surnames: HORAN
Hi Jeanne and Joan,
From what I have read of your exchange of messages, I think that Jeanne Garibaldi and I are second cousins. All of the names that are mentioned in her messages fit with my HORAN family. I think this is a fantastic "find" from my perspective. Matthew HORAN is great grandfather to both of us. My grandfather was John HORAN (Anna DUNNE). He was Nellie HORAN's brother and one of the ten HORAN children. My father was Sherman HORAN (Helen McAULIFFE). I am one of five children: Sherman Jr., Jeanne, Jack, Tom (myself) and Marilyn (died as an infant). I moved out to California some years ago, but most of our clan is still on the South Side of Chicago. Please let me know how I can help you fill in the HORAN family story. I have already learned a lot from you by virtue of the the messages that you've posted about the family. I will look forward to talking to you further and I would really like to hear more about that picture that you say that you have. That sounds too good to be true!
Your Cousin (I believe)
Tom Horan
Mountain View, CA

Re: John Horan....and James Horan, Fire Marshall

Posted: 7 Dec 2004 4:43PM GMT
I'm curious about James Horan, who died in Dec. 1910 in the Stock Yards fire. The census for that year lists him with wife, Margaret, (married 6 years) and children Margaret, 17, William 2, and Ellen, 1 5/12. He must have been previously married. An old newspaper account of the fire stated that they had four children. The census states that Margaret had had 3 children, 2 living.

I wonder if anyone knows the surname of James' wives, and whether there was another child born after the census in April and the fire in December?

The address at the time was 722 S. Ashland Ave.

Martha S. (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2005 6:34AM GMT
Surnames: Ponsonby, Horan, McLeod
I would like to speak with you further about these family lines that you are speaking of...Ponsonby, Horan and McLeod. I am researching these lines and have hit some roadblocks. I was hoping that you might clear them up. The relation is to Mary Ponsonby Horan McLeod.

Martha S.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic