Search for content in message boards

Mental institution in Jackson - 1910-1920?

Mental institution in Jackson - 1910-1920?

Posted: 17 Oct 2011 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
My aunt, the oldest surviving member of my maternal family at the time, reluctantly told me that my great-grandfather, William C. Scott, died in a mental institution in Jackson. At the time I thought she meant Jackson, Louisiana because there is a hospital there and my grandmother moved to Louisiana when she was young.

Since my aunt has died, however, I was able to find the family in the census records. In 1900 William & family were in Carroll Co., MS. In 1910 they were in Yazoo County. By 1920 William had died and his wife was living in Adams County with her new husband.

Was there a mental institution in Jackson around 1910-1920? If so, is there a possibility of finding records on someone from back then, or would privacy issues still apply if the records still exist?

Thanks for any information!

Re: Mental institution in Jackson - 1910-1920?

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 12:57AM GMT
The Mississippi State Insane Asylum opened in 1855 North of the city of Jackson. It was in operation at that location until March 1935, when it was moved to Rankin County and became Mississippi State Hospital (AKA "Whitfield"). The University of Mississippi Medical Center is now on the grounds of the old hospital with the address 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216.
There are some asylum records, sketchy at best at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History in Jackson.
http://mdah.state.ms.us/
Asylum patients were enumerated in the federal censuses (1860-1930) by name. Patients who died after October 31, 1912 will have a death certificate often telling length of stay at asylum and the home town. Again check with the Department of Archives & History. A large number of patients were buried in the hospital cemetery (which for all practical purposes does not exist any more).

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 3:06AM GMT
Thank you so much for the information! I'll look into this.

Posted: 12 Nov 2011 12:44AM GMT
Mississippi State Hospital at Whitfield has the records of the earlier hospital in Fondren (now part of Jackson). There's an email address on their website:
http://www.msh.state.ms.us/
I got some (very skimpy) 1920 records from them a few years ago.

Posted: 12 Nov 2011 12:50AM GMT
Thank you!

Posted: 13 Nov 2011 8:28PM GMT
I discovered this institution yesterday. It's called: Mississippi State Insane Asylum, located at Whitfield, MS 15 mi. outside of Jackson, MS. History indicates that the institution opened prior to the start of the Civil War - possibly as early as 1848 - (but don't quote me). In 1920, the census was abt. 1,600 - by 1935 there were over 2,500 patients and the site was moved elsewhere - "Rankin Farms", a former prison property. ALL such records are PRIVATE and are controlled by the State. If your relative was housed at the institution on a census year, you may be able to find the person that way - eg. 1870, 1880, or 1900 census. Mississippi State Asylum has no cemetery - the burials are apparently in unmarked graves. I wish you well!

Posted: 20 Apr 2013 4:13PM GMT
I have visited the MDAH many times, as my father's family has many people who spent time in "whitfield". This past month, a noted Mississippi author reported on the discovery of unmarked graves while construction workers were digging for the construction of new buildings at UMMC. There are many admission books for your perusing at the archives, but it does take quite some time to look thru them all. Yesterday when I was there, they told me that they have started "digitalizing" the first volume! So hopefully, this info will be online in the near future.

Posted: 21 Apr 2013 3:29AM GMT
I made it to the archives and checked their records. He's not there. :(

Posted: 26 Mar 2014 10:18PM GMT
Whitfield "Hospital" (I don't know the full, correct name of this place) started out in Jackson prior to being moved to Brandon. Maybe you could Google the place & get more information?

Posted: 28 Mar 2014 2:41AM GMT
H! My grt grt grandfather was in the civil war and he is listed on the 1910 federal census as being an "patient". I can't find him in census after this 1910 census. At the top of the census records, this is most of the information: along the margin, the road is listed as: North State Street
The Institute is listed as: State Insane Hospital Jackson City Beat 1
Enumerated by: William B King on April 15th 1910
Mississippi, Hinds, Jackson Ward 5, District 0004
When you hover over the word patient: It says that my relative in others were listed as being in the care of the household of Chos F Roberts
I have not tried to find anything further, except for googling tonight and your posts came up.
I don't have a death record either for my grt grt grand, I am thinking he died there and is buried there...:(...thanks for your info
Kay Thornhill Collins
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions