Search for content in message boards

Do You Have Williamson County Ancestors?

Do You Have Williamson County Ancestors?

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Williamson County was formed on March 13, 1848 from Milam County, Texas. Today much is being done to preserve the history, people and heritage of Williamson County, Texas.

I myself have very strong and deep Williamson County roots. My great grandfather's land record was the 11th Deed entered into Volume 1. It became my mission to uncover records and people and to help share the stories of this county. If you have Williamson County ancestors, please come join the efforts of the Williamson County Genealogical Society and share your stories. We currently have resources of records available online (free of charge) to assist you in your research.

Visit the WCGS Blog! You never know what you might find!

http://wcgs-tx.blogspot.com/

Re: Do You Have Williamson County Ancestors?

Posted: 29 Mar 2011 2:13PM GMT
Surnames: Van Winkle or Vanwinkle
The story of the dreadful hangings of a group of men from Williamson County in Bandera Co., Texas by Maj. Alexander from Camp Verde was first told long ago by J. Marvin Hunter in the Frontier Times. Those hanged near Julian Creek in 1863 by Confederates were named: brothers CJ Costen Sawyer and WM William Sawyer; George Thayre, a brother-in-law of the Sawyers; William Shumake; Jack Whitmire; Jake Kyle; John Smart; and Mr. Van Winkle. Their names are on a marker there.

For more background, you can read Hunter's article at: http://www.txgenweb2.org/txbandera/ceme-tragedytree.html

I am trying to find out the identity of the "Mr. Van Winkle" of this incident. Can you help, please? Our branch comes from Hill County Texas, where D. L. Vanwinkle (a ggg-grandfather) moved to from Mississippi and then served as a Confederate soldier. He is buried at Peoria Cemetery.

Posted: 23 Jul 2011 1:40AM GMT
I have pinned down "Mr Van Winkle" to two people. Both are sons of Thomas B Van Winkle and Elizabeth Smart. The first, less likely, is Thomas H B b about 1838 MO; a part of a tombstone was found in Spivey Cem LampassasC TX with the initials T B V.
The second, which is most likely, is Andrew Jackson b about 1844 MO. He also was unmarried and is the only one of the 7 sons who had acknowldged Confederate service.
These two are also the only sons without confirmed burial sites.

Posted: 24 Jul 2011 12:56PM GMT
Surnames: Van Winkle
Thanks. Since my query, I have confirmed Andrew Jackson to within 99 percent certainty as well.

Additionally, it is also possible that Thomas Benton VW (the spouse of Eliz. Smart) is also a brother to our David Lawson VW, although he is not connected in the genealogy book. Although T.B. was much older (by about 15 years), I spoke with one of his descendants - Melanie Hester - who said that he was born in So. Carolina (like DL) and, like DL, his parents were Jesse VW and Mary Ann Braeden. Has she been in touch with you, jcvw?

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 1:39AM GMT
Irene,
I am interested in anything you might find and I will remember you also, my great grand uncle was Jake Kyle, his brother, John Wesley Kile was my great grandfather. Jack Whitmire was a cousin to Jake. It is my assumption that these men were well acquainted with each other probably neighbors at the least.
Donna

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 2:41AM GMT
I have not been able to connect the Kyles or Whitmires to the Van Winkles by any bloodline. Our line (David Lawson VW) came to Hill County, Texas, just before the Civil War. They had left South Carolina,where DL was born, moved to Mississippi, and then went to Texas. Lost track of the Thomas H. Van Winkle bunch, since he apparently meandered to Indiana, where he got married to Elizabeth White Smart, and then they went into Texas. I also looked in our VW genealogy tome compiled by James C. Van Winkle, and those surnames do not appear there. So, they might have been friends/neighbors to your relatives.

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 12:57AM GMT
Surnames: Shields/ Jemeyson
I am still looking for information on William Thomas Shields who died 1899 Williamson County and William James Jemeyson who died 1915 Williamson County

Posted: 9 Oct 2011 3:51AM GMT

Have you heard of Bill Posey in Williamson County? We had an interesting PAF meeting in Orem today and there is some information that I am wondering if you could help me with?

Please send me an e-mail and I will communicate with you this way.
thanks

Delayna

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 12:39AM GMT
Do you know where I can look for an obituary for somebody who died in Williamson County in 1905?

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 4:40PM GMT
Obituary huh?

Do you have a specific date? What town did they die in Williamson County? There is the Sun which is the Georgetown paper that is on microfilmed. Also, Taylor has alot of films, and Round Rock has films. None of which are digitized. If you had a specific date, you may want to go the Williamson County Genealogical Society website and see if someone would be willing to go look up the obit for you.

Laura
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions