Search for content in message boards

COATES, William & Margaret

COATES, William & Margaret

Posted: 25 Aug 2012 7:15AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Coates
Can anyone help me find William and Margaret Coates. They were at their son Thomas J Coates marriage to Mary Anne Hickey which took place in Celbridge, Co Kildare,Ireland on 6th May 1863.

Many thanks, Jacqui (nee Coates)

Re: COATES, William & Margaret

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 2:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
If their son was married in 1863, William & Mgt must have been married for +/- 25 years before that, say late 1830s/early 1840s. What was their religion? Do you know what Margaret's maiden name was? Civil registration of RC marriages only commenced in 1864, but COI ones began in about 1845. You'd have to look for church records to find their marriage.

Did they have any other children besides Thomas J?

A William Coates is noted many times in Griffiths Valuation/Tithe Applotments in Co. Kildare - he was obviously a big landowner as well as a tenant. The following are examples:

Griffiths Valuation Record Information

Tenant
Family Name 1 COATES
Forename 1 WILLIAM
Landlord
Family Name 2 In Fee
Forename 2
Barony IKEATHY AND OUGHTERANY
Union CELBRIDGE
Parish SCULLOGESTOWN
Townland HORTLAND
Place Name HORTLAND
Place Type TOWNLAND
Publication Details
Position on Page 12
Printing Date 1850
Act 9&10
Sheet Number 4,9
Map Reference 3

Griffiths Valuation Record Information

Tenant
Family Name 1 COATES
Forename 1 WILLIAM
Landlord
Family Name 2 MILTOWN
Forename 2 EARL OF
Barony IKEATHY AND OUGHTERANY
Union CELBRIDGE
Parish SCULLOGESTOWN
Townland KNOCKANALLY
Place Name KNOCKANALLY
Place Type TOWNLAND
Publication Details
Position on Page 12
Printing Date 1850
Act 9&10
Sheet Number 4
Map Reference 2

Ireland, Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837 Ireland, Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837
Name: Wm Coates Esquire
County: Kildare
Parish: Carbury
Townland: Kellystown
Year: 1833

Could this be about your William?:

U.K. and U.S. Directories, 1680-1830 U.K. and U.S. Directories, 1680-1830
Name: William Coates
Dates: 1826-1850
County/Colonial: Co. Kildare
&Nbsp;Ireland London
Address:
Address: Knockanally
&Nbsp;Town: Kilcock
&Nbsp;County/Colonial: Co. Kildare
&Nbsp;Ireland
Office Holdings:
Office Judicial: J.P.
Source Date: 1837
Source Info:
Subscribed to, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate, market, and post towns, parishes, and villages, with historical and statistical descriptions; embellished with engravings of the arms of the cities, bishopricks, corporate towns, and boroughs; and of the seals of the several municipal corporations: with an Appendix, describing the electoral boundaries of the several boroughs, as defined by the act of the 2d & 3d of William IV., 1837, LEWIS, Samuel, London. Published by S. Lewis & Co. 87, Aldersgate Street
subject: topography

Happy hunting!

Posted: 26 Aug 2012 1:06PM GMT
Many thanks for all of the information which I will look into. It is so difficult to prove a link. I have all family members from Thomas and Mary up to the present time but can't seem to prove a link with any of the William Coates I have come across. Some of William's family it is said disowned him for marrying a Catholic. I have not come across any other children of William and Margaret, only Thomas. My father always said that there was a lot of land belonging to the Coates in Ireland.

Thank you again for your help.

Posted: 1 Dec 2012 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 1 Nov 2013 9:34AM GMT
William Coristine Coates was a large Land owner in Co. Kildare. and died 11th January 1901. I am in possession of The estate papers relating to the Knockanally & Ovidstown Estates etc. I am also in possession of his Personal Church of Ireland Prayerbook and hymnal. R.J.M

Posted: 2 Dec 2012 9:44AM GMT
Roy, that is fantastic I have been trying to find out which William it was to form a link but couldn't find any married to a Margaret or find any online records for them. My father always said his family were big land owners but we never asked any questions about his past. I believe all the Coates land was taken and distributed locally. My father was Thomas Coates born in 1894 in Monasterevan. I would love to have copies of anything you may have and to speak with you further. My email address is jacquibarney@hotmail.co.uk. Jacqui (nee Coates)

Posted: 28 Oct 2013 10:27PM GMT
Hi Roy, I've been trying to research my Coates family history and have reached a dead end with my g.g.g.grandfather Richard Aylmer Coates. He was probably born around 1790 and he married Francis Plunkett in 1812. I believe he was a Captain in the Scottish Brigade or in the 94th or 49th foot regiment. Like many Coates families we had been told the story of a link with Knockanally and that our relative was disinherited for marrying a Catholic possibly a lady with surname of Reddin. Is there any mention of my relative in the estate papers at all. I have also found a mention of a younger Richard Aylmer Coates in Japan's Who's Who for 1915 which says this gentlemen is the son of Henry Aylmer Coates of Knockanally House and who's grandfather is Richard Aylmer Coates. But I haven't found any other references to Henry or Richard senior. Any information would be appreicated. Thanks June.

Posted: 31 Oct 2013 11:50PM GMT
Not related to your family, but is this your Richard Aylmer Coates on the England 1851 Census?
He says he is a widower, born in Ireland, a "Lieutenant on half pay"

1851 England Census

Name: Richard A Coates
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1792
Relation: Head
Where born: Ireland
Civil Parish: Birmingham St George
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street Address:
Condition as to marriage:
Disability:
Registration District: Birmingham
Sub-registration District: St George
Household Schedule Number: 4
Piece: 2058
Folio: 377
Page Number: 2

Living with him are 3 daughters:

Amelia 33, born Quebec, Canada
Caroline, 30, born Quebec, Canada
Ellen, 21, born Gibralter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the details of his marriage to Frances Plunkett in 1812 in Dublin:

Dublin, Ireland, Probate Record and Marriage Licence Index, 1270-1858

Name: Richard Aylmer Coates
Spouse: Frances Plunkett
Document Year:1812
Record Type: Marriage Licence

From irishgenealogy.ie:

Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. PAUL

Marriage of RICHD AYLMER COATES of N/R and FRANCES PLUNKETT of N/R on 10 November 1812
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the baptism (from irishgenealogy.ie) of their son John Aylmer Coates in 1816 in Dublin:

Baptism of JOHN AYLMER COATES of N/R on 1 July 1816

Name JOHN AYLMER COATES
Date of Birth N/R N/R N/R
Address N/R
Father RICHD COATES
Mother FRANCES COATES

As daughter Amelia (aged 33 in 1851) was born c. 1818 in Quebec, Richard & Frances must have left Dublin soon after their son John's birth/death.

Unfortunately, John Aylmer died about 2 weeks after his birth, details as follows:

Burial of JOHN AYLMER COATES of N/R on 18 July 1816
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the marriage of Francis, with father RICHARD AYLMER COATES:

Marriage of FRANCIS COATES of 5 LEINSTER ROAD and MARY ANNE HARRIS of 7 ANNA VILLE on 31 December 1861

Husband / Wife
Name FRANCIS COATES / MARY ANNE HARRIS
Address 5 LEINSTER ROAD / 7 ANNA VILLE
Occupation COMMERCIAL TRAVELLER / N/R
Father RICHARD AYLMER COATES / EDWARD HARRIS
Mother N/R N/R
Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. PETER

Husband Age FULL
Husband Marital Status B
Wife Age FULL
Wife Marital Status S
Husband's Father's Occupation MERCANTILE CLERK
Wife's Father's Occupation LABOURER
Witness 1 WILLIAM HOLTON (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)
Witness 3 ELIZA JANE HOLTON (WITNESS FOR WIFE)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder if this is the marriage of another son of Richard & Frances? (he's a Lieutenant in the 98th Regiment) - William Coates marrying Elizabeth Coates, so possibly related.

Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. GEORGE

Marriage of WILLIAM COATES of HATCH STREET DUBLIN and ELIZABETH COATES of TANKERSLEY CO WICKLOW NOW RESIDING LOWER DORSET ST on 13 April 1843

Husband/Wife
Name WILLIAM COATES/ ELIZABETH COATES
Address
HATCH STREET DUBLIN / TANKERSLEY CO WICKLOW NOW RESIDING LOWER DORSET ST
Occupation
LIEUTENANT 98TH REGIMENT/ N/R
Father
N/R / N/R
Mother
N/R / N/R

Further details in the record
Husband Address - Parish ST PETER
Wife Address - Parish PREBEN
Wife Marital Status S
Witness 1 CHAS COATES (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)
Witness 3 ARCHER COATES (WITNESS FOR WIFE)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Aylmer Coates is a witness at the wedding of Mary Coates - her father, or a relative?:

Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. MARK

Marriage of THOMAS HORAN of N/R and MARY COATES of N/R on 24 May 1840

Husband / Wife
Name
THOMAS HORAN / MARY COATES
Address
N/R N/R
Occupation
N/R N/R
Father
N/R N/R
Mother
N/R N/R

Husband Address - Parish ST. MARK
Wife Address - Parish ST. MARK

Witness 1
RICHD AYTMER COATES (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)

Witness 3
SAMUEL NAWLAN (WITNESS FOR WIFE)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This marriage record might be for a daughter of RICHARD AYLMER COATES, with another daughter Amelia as witness (note the 1851 English census) + another COATES witness (J. Edminston Coates):

Area - DUBLIN (COI) , Parish/Church/Congregation - ST. GEORGE

Marriage of ALEXANDER FRASER of 15 PORTLAND PLACE and ELIZA CAROLINE COATES of N/R on 27 February 1843

Husband / Wife
Name
ALEXANDER FRASER / ELIZA CAROLINE COATES
Address
15 PORTLAND PLACE / N/R
Occupation
BOOKSELLER / N/R
Father
N/R/ N/R
Mother
N/R / N/R

Husband Address - Parish ST. GEORGE
Wife Address - Parish ST. GEORGE
Wife Marital Status S

Witness 1
RICHD AYLMER (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)

Witness 2
COATES J EDMISTON (WITNESS FOR HUSBAND)

Witness 3
AMELIA COATE (WITNESS FOR WIFE)

There are dozens and dozens of COATES (+ variants) references at irishgenealogy.ie, which may be of interest.

Cheers
Colette

Posted: 1 Nov 2013 1:53PM GMT
Thanks Colette, I think it is the same Richard Aylmer Coates on the 1851 census and I've been on to the irishgenealogy site which was a great source. There was a couple of things you put down I hadn't got, so thanks for that, much appreciated. I tried looking for records in Canada and Gibraltar but so far nothing. As he was in the military maybe they didn't record births in the same way when they were abroad, especially back then! I've tried finding him in the national archives of Kew and the war records website but can't find him yet. It's a real puzzle. Don't suppose you know anything about military records in the 1800's?? Thanks again for your help. June

Posted: 20 May 2014 2:03PM GMT
Hello Roy, I am still no nearer to finding William and Margaret of Kilcock whose son Thomas was married in 1868 in Celbridge (the register shows W and M living in Kilcock at that time). I have researched Wm Coristine Coates but he appears to have married a Florence and can't trace him having a son Thomas. There is a St Peters Church I believe in Donadea which apparently has a Coates memorial and I am wondering if you have come across this and if a William and Margaret are mentioned there. There seems to have been several Coates in the Kildare area around 1800s with sons and daughters all of the same name.

Any help will be much appreciated.

jacqui Lewis (nee Coates)

Posted: 20 May 2014 11:21PM GMT
Hi - checked on (pay) site for children of WILLIAM COATES and MARGARET, and these details came up:
Action Cost Source Surname First Name Year County
25 credits Church Baptism Coates Samuel 1844 Co. Dublin
25 credits Church Baptism Coates Maria 1845 Co. Dublin
25 credits Church Baptism Coates William 1846 Co. Dublin
25 credits Church Baptism Coates Martin 1849 Co. Dublin
25 credits Church Baptism Coates William 1851 Co. Dublin
Perhaps son Thomas who married in 1868 just wasn't registered. You'd have to purchase at least one of the above certs to get Margaret's surname, and from that, perhaps a marriage to William Coates + fathers of both. Of course, there's no guarantee that it's the right William & Margaret!
I wonder if this marriage of Maria Coates with father William is a daughter of William & Margaret?
Ireland, Select Marriages, 1619-1898
Name: Maria Coates
Marital Status: Single
Marriage Date: 12 Feb 1866
Marriage Place: Kilcook, Kildare, Ireland
Father: William
Spouse: James Hendrick
FHL Film Number: 101488
Reference ID: P642cn29

It doesn't appear that the Coates of KNOCKANALLY are related to your Coates, as this link gives the family history, which is closely related to the BOMFORD and WEBB families http://www.bomford.net/IrishBomfords/Chapters/Chapter8/Chapt...
Have you seen COATES Wills at this site? William Lancake Coates of Knockanelly left Knockanelly to his nephew, William Coristine Coates http://www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie/search/cwa/inde....
Think that's enough for now! Good luck and happy hunting
Colette x
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions