Search for content in message boards

T or Tee Long/Lony Plantation Tensas Parish 1929

T or Tee Long/Lony Plantation Tensas Parish 1929

Marguerite Middleton Reid (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jul 2006 7:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Middleton, Long, Ahrend, Ogden
I am trying to find the location of a "T" or "Tee" Long / Loney Plantation in Tensas Parish in 1929. I think it was Waterproof or near by. Was there and Long Plantations in this area..maybe a Thomas Long? I would sincerely appreciate any information you may have.

Re: T or Tee Long/Lony Plantation Tensas Parish 1929

Dorothy Brown Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2006 8:08PM GMT
i was born in Waterproof in 1962 we moved to California when i was very young. my Mother has told me about a plantaion where my great uncles wife came from when they were married while i was doing my Family tree which happens be the name Glasper, she married John Glasper her name was Julia and she had came from LOneland Plantation where she had lived and was raised by her Aunt Kitty.

Louise (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2006 2:00AM GMT
There is an area known as Lomeland in Tensas Parish.

Marguerite REid (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2006 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: Middleton
Thank you for letting me know about Lomeland. Do you know who was the owner or any other information about it. I was suppose to have been borne on the plantation I requested info on in 1929. I do recall parents talking about a Lomeland. Anything you can give me on this will greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Marguerite

Dorothy Brown Thomas (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 4:40PM GMT
i may have mispelled the name it was called loneland, and i heard my mother mention it, because thats the plantation my great aunt Julia came from whens he married my great Uncle John, thats all i know about it, and thats the only time i heard mention of it, when i was tracing ,my family roots i could not locate it on the website at all.

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 6:15PM GMT
my name is john glasper jr and my great grandfather had 19 children from i belieave two different wifes i would love to compare tress we might be the answers for each other

Posted: 30 Jul 2009 2:38AM GMT
These two plantations mentioned in these posts are Tullonia Plantation and Loamland Plantation. Both are located in south western Tensas Parish on highway 571, west of Waterproof and north of Clayton. There is nothing left of Tullonia Plantation but the Loamland Plantation house is still standing, although barely...I live just a few miles from either location. The Loamland house was one of the first houses in Tensas Parish that had electricity in the rural areas, this house had it's own carbide powerplant for electricity.

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 11:51AM GMT
My grandparents, Jim Lee Morgan and his wife, Mary Jane "Mollie" Leonard and their children, share-cropped on Loamland Plantation from about 1926 to 1934, when they both died. They lived in some "cropper" houses or shacks just north of the overseers house in a grove of trees as told by my Dad (one of 11 children). These share-cropper houses are no longer there. He used to play with the other kids under the porch of the "big house", or overseers house. This old house dated from before the Civil War and was built with two separate square brick rooms on the ground floor which also served to support the main floor of the house which was a story above ground level. A large porch, supported by brick columns, ran the full length of the front, or east side of the house, with wide steps leading down to the ground. A chimney stood on the south end of the old house and allowed for fireplaces in the brick room on the ground floor and also in the large room on the south end of the second or main floor. The porch was high enough off the ground that a wagon could be driven under it and supplies unloaded for storage in the two large brick rooms. Due to inadequate care, the house began showing its age in the 1970’s with sections starting to collapse in 2004. I have pictures of the old house from the 1980's and about 2006 if anyone wants them.
According to one of my uncles, the plantation was owned by Mrs. Mary Eure who lived in Mississippi and was managed by her brother-in-law, John Quinn.
Barry Morgan

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 9:02PM GMT
Mr. Morgan, I would love to have copies of these pictures. Would it be possible for you to scan and email them to me? Please email me: fandfdavis@gmail.com
Frances Davis
Newellton

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 1:50AM GMT
Frances,
I'll send them to you shortly.
Barry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic