Posted: 25 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Oct 2006 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: FLEMING, SMITH
I am looking for the parents and siblings of John B. FLEMING
and Dorthula SMITH who were married in McDonald Co. Missouri
Fleming, John B.----Smith, Dorthula
Marriage date : Jul 5, 1868 County : McDonald
John and Dorothy had at least one son: Silas Fleming who moved to Oregon. I would like to find anything on this family.
I would exchange any information that I have.
BNiel6404@aol.com

Fleming family around Noel

Bonita J. Martin (View posts)
Posted: 31 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
McDonald County, MO response: Beverly, the one family I
found of the Fleming family was in the Noel Centennial Book
There was no Dorthula or John, but they was Nathaniel Carr
Fleming and his wife Clara Pearl Nutter. They were married
in 1913, and had 8 children. They had four sons, all were
in the Navy during the War (I take it they meant WWII.) The Flemings lived on Hilltop Rd. between Noel and Southwest
City, MO. One of their daughters, Maggie Saylor wrote this article for the Centennial Book. I don't know if Maggie
does family research because she and Clyde lived on a farm
near Noel. I did find some land owned by Dora Fleming in
the 1910 Plat Book index and I think it too was around Noel
and the Oklahoma border. I hope some of the family will
write to you, since I have so little on this family in my
files. They could be buried in the Noel Cemetery if you write to the City of Noel. Happy Hunting, Bonnie Martin,the Family Limb Lines Lady of Goodman, MO

Fleming Family of McDonald Co.

Bonita Martin (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
McDonald Co.Mo response: Are you the Lee Fleming from
Tahlequah that gave a seminar/lecture on Indian connections
at Neosho a few years ago ? I am now retired from the library and Gene. Group there. I am so glad you found the
query of Beverly Niel on the family. (Jan.1999) I have
bookshelves full of information and of course don't have
it all. Thank you so much for answering her. I have done
alot of Meador work from McD also. Are these yours from
here at the MT. Zion cemetery near Anderson ? Do you also
connect to Epperson with your Meadors ? Happy Hunting,
Bonita Martin of Goodman, MO rmartin@netins.net 6-19-99

Fleming Family of McDonald County

R. Lee Fleming (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Fleming, Barrow, Meador
What an exciting surprise. I do hope we are indeed connecting. I have been researching the Fleming family for years and have quite a bit of information. But, to make sure that we may connect, here is my descent with some family tid bits.

William Fleming, b. ca. 1823, TN
James William Fleming, b. 1857, MO, & brother to John Rubin Fleming, who married Darthula Smith
Hardy Frank Fleming, b. 1885, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory, now Oklahoma
Joe Lindsey Fleming, b. 1921, Oklahoma
Robert Lee Fleming. B. 1959, Oklahoma

On the Federal 1880, Newton County, Missouri:

Fleming, John 30 KY NC TENN

, Darthula 29 MO TENN TENN

, Altha V. 5 MO KY MO

, James W. 4 MO KY MO

, Silas N. 2 MO KY MO

, Robert L.2/12 MO KY MO

This John Fleming was a brother to my great-grandfather, James William Fleming, who appeared with his family, and living next to his father, William Fleming. These families are found on the 1880 Federal Census, 10th Census of the United States, Schedule 1, Inhabitants in Pineville Township, McDonald Co., Missouri, and are listed as follows: Fleming, Jas. W.; Mary [Mary Elizabeth Meador]; Wm. C.; Walter R.; Fleming.
Fleming, William; Frances [Frances Howard, second wife];
Mary; Isabell [dau. by first wife]; Lorenzo Dow [son by first wife]. On the 1876 Special Census for McDonald County, Missouri, and the 1870 Federal Census, 9th Census of the United States, Schedule 1, Inhabitants in Pineville Township, McDonald County, Missouri, June 24, 1870; and are listed respectively as follows:

1876: Fleming, William 60

, Isabell 16

, James William 19

, Lorenzo Dow 11

Fleming, John Rubin 28

, Darthula 25

, Virginia 2

, James Wesley 1

1870: Fleming, John R. 21 M Kentucky

, Darthula 17 F Missouri

, Irwin S. 9/12 M Missouri

Fleming, William 52 M Tennessee

, Minerva 43 F Tennessee

, Eliza 18 F Tennessee

, Frances 15 F Tennessee

, James 13 M Tennessee

, Isabelle 10 F Missouri

, Dow 5 M Missouri

Are you excited??? Check out the family on the 1860 Federal Census, 8th Census of the United States, Schedule 1, Free Inhabitants in Morgan Township in County of Dade, State of Missouri, August 27, 1860.

Fleming, William 37 M Tennessee

, Manerva 34 F Tennessee

, John 10 M Kentucky

, Eliza 9 F Missouri

, Sabrian F. 6 F Missouri

, James 2 M Missouri

, Isabella 9/12 F Missouri

Lastly, two more items to share. We find this family on the 1850 Federal Census, 7th Census of the United States, Schedule 1, Free Inhabitants in District Number 2, Trigg County, Kentucky, September 25, 1850.

Fleming, William 27 M Tennessee

, Minerva 22 F Tennessee

, Margaret E. 2 F Kentucky

, John R. 6/12 M Kentucky

In checking the marriage records of Trigg County, Kentucky for a William Fleming to a Minerva, and based on an interview of Walter Raleigh Fleming in 1965 giving the maiden name as BARROW, the Court Clerk was able to find in the Marriage Docket Book dated June 1820-November 1857, Page 104, Entry 1027, dated May 3, 1845 the parties' names "William Fleming to Minerva Barrow."

The year 1845 is as far as I have been able to go. I have tried to find the descendants of William and Minerva Barrow Fleming. This is just a tid bit of information, but I hope that we can continue to share information. You may call me at 301-439-1713, or write to: R. Lee Fleming, 2004 Wooded Way, Adelphi, Maryland, 20783, or contact me on the internet (Lee_Fleming@ios.doi.gov or LeeFnMD@aol.com).

Most of my files are at home. I know I have scads of information on this John Rubin Fleming who married Darthula Smith.

FLEMING, MEADOR, BARROW, HIRE, HOLT

Lee Fleming (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: FLEMING, MEADOR, BARROW, HIRE, HOLT
Yes, Bonita, I am Lee Fleming, former Registrar of the Cherokee Nation who gave a presentation there in Neosho several years ago. For over two years now, I have been working for the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Washington, D.C. Even though I spent 17 years in Tahlequah, I grew up here in the Maryland/DC area and am happy to be back near my mom and brother, who have lived here since 1969. You have a great memory, and I have great memories of meeting so many individuals and relatives from Newton and McDonald Counties.

My grandfather was Hardy Frank FLEMING, born August 10, 1885, in Anderson, McDonald Co. MO, and died April 1, 1926 in Bernice, Delaware Co., OK. He and his brothers, William C. and Walter Raleigh FLEMING, as children came into the Cherokee Nation ca 1888/9 with their widowed father, James William FLEMING who was a cattleman. James William FLEMING married a Cherokee woman, Mrs. Maria L. BEESON in 1889, making him a legal citizen of the Cherokee Nation by intermarriage. His children (by his first wife, Mary Elizabeth MEADOR FLEMING) were in the Cherokee Nation, however, without authority and are listed on the Cherokee Nation Census of 1890 as "intruders." Eventually, my grandfather, Hardy Frank FLEMING married Ruth May BALLARD of the Cherokee Nation in 1908.

The parents of Hardy Frank FLEMING were James William and Mary Elizabeth MEADOR FLEMING. James William FLEMING (September 19, 1857 - March 18, 1936) was the son of William and Minerva BARROW FLEMING. He married on October 17, 1876 to Mary Elizabeth MEADOR, born August 12, 1860 and died ca November 10, 1885/88. She was the daughter of Francis Washington and Margaret J. HIRE MEADOR. Both James William and Mary Elizabeth MEADOR FLEMING are buried in the Anderson Cemetery.

Francis "Frank" Washington Meador was born August 16, 1834, son of Joel and Melinda HOLT MEADOR, died during the Civil War, and buried at the National Cemetery in Springfield, MO. His parents are buried on the old Joel Meador homestead near Anderson. Margaret's father, Joel HIRE, was the administrator for the estate of Francis W. MEADOR, and buried at Mt. Zion. Margaret put in a Union widow's pension and named her two children, John Nelson MEADOR and Mary Elizabeth MEADOR. She eventually remarried Nathan Wilson ROARK, had an extensive family, and both are buried in the Anderson Cemetery.

I am proud of my FLEMING, MEADOR, BARROW, HIRE, AND HOLT families and I am colleterally related to the Epperson family through the HIRE. Isn't Auphrey EPPERSON or Elizabeth HIRE EPPERSON buried in the Anderson Cemetery?

Thanks Bonita, for responding to everyone. You have no idea how important you are to McDonald County and how good you make us feel when you help us with our genealogical inquiries. I have extensive research files on the above families and am willing to share. Hopefully I will post more information later.

joel melinda holt meador

lisa wibberley (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: meador
wondering if these are my great grand parents listed also are mamie meador married william bell her father is hardy matthew meador spouse is nora v webb would love any and all info

Re: FLEMING, MEADOR, BARROW, HIRE, HOLT

Carolyn Ellertson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2002 3:29PM GMT
Edited: 5 Mar 2006 11:54PM GMT
Surnames: Fleming, Meador, Combs, Coombs, Timmons, Hamlin
Looking for parents of William Henry Fleming (NOT Wm R. as shown by Neosho IOOF cemetery records! his headstone is correct and shows "H." (born Ray County, MO), whose second wife was Ladora Combs/Coombs (nee Timmons) (died Oklahoma, buried Neosho IOOF cemetery), first wife Emma Mary Hamlin (died Texas 1870's). William Henry and Emma Mary are my great grandparents. I am the granddaughter of Claude Moore Fleming and Frances Kyle (married Denver 1910).

Have documentatin on some of the Fleming, Meador connections in McDonald County, Missouri as follows:
James Fleming and Mary Elizabeth Meadors, both of McDonald Co. & married in McDonald County 17th October 1876 at the residence of Reverend Chapman (loooks like not recorded until Dec 14, 1876); William Fleming and Francis R. Howard married in Pineville Twnshp on ? (illegible) day of February 1878 (recorded Feb 20th (?). ; John Dean and Caroline Dean (?) married 6th February 1876 at Elk Mills, McDonald Co.; John B. Fleming and Dorthula Smith married 5th July 1868 by Reverend Chapman. Filed for record July 11th;

Also: 1880 Mcdonald Co. Census: Under James Fleming #86 (family #?): James 23, Mary 20, Wm C. 2, Walter W. 3/12

Next family (#87): William Fleming 68, Francis 18 "wi", Mary 1 "d", Isabell 20 "d/ww", Lorranzo Dow 16 "d" (See them also on 1876 special census for McDonald Co.)

1870 McDonald Co. census:Wm Fleming family #180: William 38 (In); Nancy 36 (In); Margaret 15 (In); Samuel 14 (Il) (ie, Illinois? - my font makes it look like a typo, sorry it is a capital "I" and an "l" or el); Isaac 12 (In), Samuel B. 9 (Ks); Mary A. 4 (Il); Eva 2 (Il)

Family #181 same census: Semuel Fleming 70 (Va); Andrew 35 (In); Martin 32 (In); John 23 (In); Mary H. 16 (Il)

1876 Special Census for McDonald Co. Twnshp 22, Range 32: page 72, #169 & 170:
Hard to read, but looks like John Nason (?) Meador (either 11 or 17, can't tell), and Mary Elizabeth Meador age 16.
Same page Flemings:187 through 194: William 60, Isbell 16, James Wm 19, Lorenzo Dow 11, John Rulin 28, Dorthula (25), Veronique (?) 2, James Wesley (age 1)

There are also Flemings on page 41 of the 1876 Special census which I am unable to decipher on my hard copy due to the fancy script, but is spelled as "Flemming". There numbers are 407-409 on above referenced page.

The above are exerpts from court books, of which I only have the pages shown. It is also fun to look at a Missouri map through MapQuest or similar program. If you do, you will see the Meador name referenced on a couple of geographical areas (ie, Meadors Ford or something like that..)Hope this information can help someone. I got it from the McDonald County Library, courtesy of Retha Mitchell, and so grateful for it, I want to pass it on, as I can't seem to get past my William.
Will appreciate any exchange of info. Many thanks.

Linda (View posts)
Posted: 2 Nov 2002 6:52AM GMT
Carolyn, I know this doesn't pertain to what you're looking for, but I am desparately seeking someone who has access to the 1876 special census in McDonald Co. This is a toughy. I'm looking for an Emily Smith with unknown husband and at least two children. Nora, born 1870, Thomas born 1872 and Calla born 1876. She's widowed by 1880. I'm hoping the 1876 will show her husbands name. I thank you very much and maybe someone out there will recogize these names. Thanks so much, Linda

Posted: 2 Nov 2002 4:58PM GMT
Edited: 9 Nov 2005 3:44PM GMT
Try contacting Reatha Mitchell, genealogist at McDonald County Library in Pineville, MO. You should be able to get the phone number from information. She is wonderfully nice, and helped me in a very big way. Good luck!

Re: FLEMING/SMITH, also Combs, Hamlin or Hamblin?

Posted: 2 Nov 2002 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: Fleming, Meador, Smith, Kyle, Hamliin/Hamblin, Combs
Beverly: The marriage of John B. Fleming and Dorthula Smith did indeed take place 5th of July 1868 in McDonald Co. MO (recorded July 11th, 1868 page 35 of book ?)and I have a copy of the recording. Also Wm Fleming and Francis R. Howard (Pineville twshp) (5th Feb, 1878).The ceremony for John and Dorthula (also James W. Fleming and Mary Elizabeth Meadors/17 Oct 1836 but which was not filed for record until Dec 14th, 1836) was performed by a Reverand Chapman, who seems to have officiated at many of the matrimonial services of the area, including some of my own family. William Henry Fleming who married Ledora Combs was my great grandfather, a widower (first wife Emma Mary Hamlin/Hamblin), who married Ledora as his second marriage, and they were together until they died. Both buried at IOOF cemetery in Neosho, MO., but they died at their daughter's home in Oklahoma, so no death certificate in MO. Most of the Flemings from that area must be related, so I am interested in connecting to any and all. I visited there this summer for a once in a lifetime trip. I descend from William and first wife Emma Mary Hamblin's son Claude Fleming and wife Frances Kyle's daughter Claudia. She had a half sister, also named Claudia whose family I would love to connect with (I believe his first wife was Annie Cozart/Arkansas family). I live in SW Washington, so will see what I can find about Silas - not shown on my stuff..I can be reached: cellertson@kalama.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions