Search for content in message boards

Bittle's in Virgina

Bittle's in Virgina

Posted: 17 May 2004 1:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Oct 2004 12:13PM GMT
Surnames: Bittle
Hello everyone
After reading many post there seems to be a common thread!! Virgina. Many Bittle's seem to be in Virgina at any given time especially in the late 1700's on.
I am the list owner of the Bittle mailing list and want to invite each and everyone to sign up and lets do a roll call. Maybe with some more direct dialoge we could make some connections.
Thank you all
Flo

Re: Bittle's in Virgina

Posted: 21 May 2004 11:47PM GMT
Edited: 11 Oct 2005 4:58PM GMT
I have family that lived in Augusta County in the early 1800's. William Bittle is my gggrandfather and was born abt 1804 in PA. He married Nancy Landes 19 Oct 1826 in Augusta Co., VA.

He along with a Richard Bittle are listed in the 1830 Augusta Co., Northern District, page 7. They are both listed in the 30 to 50 year age group so it makes me wonder if they are brothers. I have misplaced my note but there was a George Bittle listed in Augusta County also around that time period.

I would like to find a connection with the Arkansas and Oklahoma Bittle's.
Wayne

Posted: 29 May 2004 3:16PM GMT
Hi,
I wish I could connect all the Bittle's found in Va. I'm having a devil of a time figuring out my line.
I've looked thru some of the lineages that I have and I don't see the line you are looking for. But that doesn't really mean anything!! My Bittle line left Washington Co.,Va after the 1810 census. There were 3 Bittle's that I found on or before that census. Jacob and George was on the tax list before 1810. Jacob and David was on the 1810 census for washington Co.,Va and I beleive George went on the Scott Co.,Va. Some of his children went to alabama and some of them may have went on to Ark. Wish I had more information to help you with. I feel most of the Va Bittle's are related but records are hard to come by somethimes.
Flo

Posted: 31 May 2004 11:27PM GMT
If I remember correctly, we touch base some time ago. Anyway I have hit a brick wall with William Bittle b. 1804, PA. There were quite a few Bittle's in PA before 1800 but I have found nothing that connects them with my line. I think William and Richard may be brothers and settled in Augusta County, VA in the early 1800's. I often wonder if all the Bittles are connected somehow.......

wayne

Posted: 5 Jun 2004 3:16AM GMT
Hi,
Yes we probably have talked before!! One of the descendents of my line said through stories that all Bittle's are related. I have 3 Bittle's in the same county and I have yet been able to connect them. 2 of them moved to Mo at the same time. Go figure.There are a lot of Bittle's in Pa. but for me I have nothing to go on to even start looking. I guess most of the German Bittle's settled there when they first arrived. And another thing with Bittle's....They use the same names over and over.LOL
Anyway good luck
Flo

Posted: 5 Jun 2004 1:55PM GMT
Yes, William, John, Richard, George, Fred, and perhaps Joseph are found often. I hope this forum will become a watering hole for Bittle researchers and help break through the walls. Thanks for the idea and effort. I am sure that there are many interesting stories that could be shared. My Bittle's are Yankies and went to Indiana from VA and scattered to Kansas, Utah and Washington. I have a good friend who lives in OK. His mother is a Bittle but we can find no connection...Anyhow I hope that some breakthroughs will come your way. Good hunting!

wayne

Posted: 7 Jun 2004 1:42PM GMT
Hi Wayne.
Thank you!! I was hoping the mailing list would have taken off by now but very few people have joined. I was hoping for the very thing you said.
There are bunches of Bittle's in Pa. and in Va. I could understand the draw to Pa, if of german descent. But Va is another story. I also wonder if some of the Bittle's landed in Va to start with. All kinds of questions and not many answers!!!
Thank you
Flo

Posted: 11 Sep 2004 7:41AM GMT
Surnames: long james bittle
to flo james hi, are you still here? i'm seeing familiar names everywhere in reading some of your postings. 1st, i'm looking for chuck bittle for a friend. he is her father. she has no other names for him or his parents. the last she knew of him, he was in bakersfield, ca. 2nd, i think i saw a long mentioned. i have a fielding hugh long married to mattie james, which i see is your surname. do we have any connection at all on any one of the three names? it would be great to clear 3 names at once. thanks, barbara

A long dry spell!

Posted: 15 Jan 2005 5:33PM GMT
Hi Flo,
Thought I would touch base. Not much happening, surely there are more Bittle researchers out there. I have traced my William Bittle to Palestine TX, if my information is correct. He moved from IN in 1868 and went to Anderson County TX with a lot of money, again, if my information is correct. Other than that I have found a few more distant deceased cousins etc. in Indiana but nothing that will fill in the blanks for me.

Wayne

Posted: 18 Jan 2005 4:28AM GMT
Edited: 9 Jul 2006 2:10AM GMT
Hi
Yes I am still here! But sorry I don't recognize any of the names you mentioned.
Do you know maybe where Chuck Bittle came from or lived?
I haven't done any research on the James's. They are my husbands and they hardly know enough to even get started!!
Flo
per page

Find a board about a specific topic