Search for content in message boards

WHITEHURSTS-NORFOLK, VA

WHITEHURSTS-NORFOLK, VA

Sandra Laurin (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2001 10:23PM GMT
Surnames: Whitehurst, Brockett, Manby
Still researching the William Whitehurst family of Norfolk. Need info on William's father Edward, mother Mary, brother Charles. You can EM me at tiatoo@qwest.net. Appreciate any information you may have. This family lived in Norfolk from early 1800's to early 1900's.

Re: WHITEHURSTS-NORFOLK, VA

Carol Ives Smith (View posts)
Posted: 21 Sep 2001 3:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
What other info do you have on your William Whitehurst? The William I am researching was married to Abiah in Princess Anne Co.,VA and had a son named John Riley.I have found over 50 William Whitehursts in my research.

Posted: 23 Oct 2001 2:15AM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2003 1:06AM GMT
Surnames: Whitehurst, Brockett
Carol, the William I have was married to Hazel Brockett. William was born Mar. 16, 1881. I am looking for his father's family - Edward Whitehurst. Please contact me at tiatwo@juno.com, which is my new EM address. Would appreciate anything you may have on this particular family. Thanks. S. Laurin

Posted: 29 Mar 2002 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2002 1:41AM GMT
Hi:

I have relatives that are Ives and I want to find William Walter Whitehurst son of Oden and "Jenny" Whitehurst. I believe that her name was Jane (Jenny) Benthall before she married.

Let me know who your relatives are. My grandmother is Doris Whitehurst, she lives in VA Beach.

Thanks,

David Whitehurst

Carol Ives Smith (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2002 3:43AM GMT
Hi David, We have not been able to connect our Whitehursts to yours even though they were in Princess Ann County. My grandmother was Caroline Luvenia Lee Whitehurst. Her parents were John Raleigh Whitehurst and Emma Jane Trueblood. His father was William and mother was Abiah unknown. Have you been invited to the MyFamily.com site started by Joe Whitehurst who died recently? If not I will send you an invitation. Contact me at carolivessmith@aol.com to give me your email address.By the way, Joe Whitehurst has his family tree on the site. It may connect to yours.

Posted: 30 Mar 2002 12:30AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2002 2:14AM GMT
I do wish an invite or a link to the site you mentioned. I have given david.whitehurst@comcast.net as my address but it is new and I would like you to also send copy to david.whitehurst@isky.com. This is very interesting and I appreciate your reply.

Thanks,

David Whitehurst

Posted: 8 Jul 2002 7:31PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2003 1:06AM GMT
Surnames: Whitehursts of Norfolk, Ives, Sanderson, Brockett, etc.
Have Whitehursts, Ives, Sanderson, Brockett on my family tree. Would be willing to share info if interested. Contact me at tiatwo@juno.com

Posted: 3 Oct 2002 9:17PM GMT
Edited: 13 Oct 2002 11:46PM GMT
I also have relatives from Princess Anne County. My grandmother is Hattie Estelle Whitehurst who Married Oscar Stone Keesee. Her parents were James Whitehurst and Sallie Ann Morris. They are buried at Charity Neck Church. Please reply if any of this fits with your family. Jane

David Whitehurst (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2002 1:30PM GMT
Jane:

Email me your direct email and we can share info. Anyhow, I don't think that we are directly related, but we are at some point. I am interested in finding out about the public land marked as "Whitehurst Tract" on Back Bay's Fish and Wildlife maps. I want to find out when then was a split in the Whitehurst farming trade and when some became watermen. Also, a group or one started a Whitehurst clan in North Carolina. I am interested in the similarities of the various Whitehursts. I found in a book that Whitehurst was a Surname for famous duck hunting guides in Back Bay.

I want to write a book and anything you have is worth the knowledge. And, I will give you any information that I have. There is a book on the Whitehurst family that was written by a lady in Cartaret NC. Many things are incorrect in it. A land patent was misread, William Richard Whitehurst could not have died on Nov. 22, 1651. The land patent was "decided" or literally written dec'd, not deceased.

It is stated that some Whitehurst's were Quakers, I found the documented brothers Richard and William (2nd gen). The book states that no Whitehurst served in the Colonial War as being held in their Quaker beliefs. This is untrue. Two Whitehursts are documented, there may be more undocumented. I do not believe that the Quaker "titles" of Richard and William truly mean that they were in fact the Quakers in the true sense of the word. I do, however, believe them to be religious rebels or dissenters. Every male member in my family has been somewhat of a rebel or free spirit. There are documented court abstracts where Whitehursts are fined in tobacco for not having their children baptized. Rightly so, they were deemed Quakers not King loving Anglicans. Later most became part of a the Anglican church or now Episcopal church of Lynnhaven Parish.

Mail me, david.whitehurst@comcast.net

Posted: 4 Oct 2002 4:52PM GMT
It is true that Rebecca Sanders' book has some errors, but we must remember that she did her research years ago (prior to the internet!) and did a wonderful job. Her book has been an invaulable starting point for all of us - especially since some documents have "disappeared" over the years.

Please do not make the mistake of thinking that all Whitehurst were either quakers or not religious. I have not found any proof to support the quaker theory. Also, many Whitehurst have been very religious. A grandson of Simon Whitehurst, Sr. was one of the founders of the first Methodist church in Pitt County, NC. As in any family, you have people of varying beliefs.

Also, the appreviation "dec'd" stands for deceased, not decided.

Richard Whitehurst's Last Will and Testament is dated 6 May 1651 and was proven on 22 June 1654 in Norfolk County, VA. I have found that earlier wills were proven rather quickly after the death of a person, so Richard probably died in 1654. On 6 November 1665, his son William Whitehurst received a grant for 1,000 acres that included 700 acres originally granted to Richard Whitehurst, deceased, by patent dated 22 November 1651.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions