Search for content in message boards

crystal necklace-queens coronation dress

crystal necklace-queens coronation dress

Posted: 30 May 2012 10:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi
I have been asked by my mum to see if we can find out anything more about a crystal necklace she has just inherited.
We already know that my mum inherited it from her mother in law who inherited it from her mother in law - Ethel.
Ethel herself worked on the queens coronation dress as a dressmaker/seamstress.
When the dress was finished and the queen tried it on, she asked for a number of the crystals to be removed from the dress as it was too heavy, these crystals were shared out amoungst the workers who worked on the dress and were made into necklaces and bracelets. Which is what has just been passed down to my mum.
What with it being the queens diamond jubilee year we would just like to know a little about the necklace and whether any others survive.
I wasnt sure where to post this but am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Ceri

Re: crystal necklace-queens coronation dress

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 1:39AM GMT
Surnames: Hartnell, Windsor
The dress was made by Norman Hartnell. There are quiet a few sites with information about Her Majesty's Coronation and wedding dress both made by the House of Hartnell.

Hope this helps.

C Barrios de Leon

Posted: 12 Sep 2012 8:58PM GMT
I had managed to find out that it was designed by Norman Hartnell...but it would appear most other information about it was kept secret.
Its such a shame ive not been able to find out any more information about it, i did contact the keeper of the robes in regards to it and they replied saying that they didnt know alot other than it was made by Hartnell and that my best bet might be to get in contact with antiques roadshow or similar as people watching might come forward with matching ones or someone that knows more might contact, but i havent done this yet.
Thanks for your reply.
Ceri

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 3:27PM GMT
Surnames: Windsor
I saw this on the Royal School of Needlework website, I thought this might help.

The Queen's Coronation 1953
- Buckingham Palace exhibition this summer
Just over 1400 people visitors saw our Royal Connections exhibition
last year and one of the highlights was our Coronation Robe sampler.
Our tour guides were often asked when the actual Coronation Robe of
State would be exhibited, so we’re delighted to tell you that between 27
July and 29 September 2013 the robe will form part of a Royal
Collection exhibition at Buckingham Palace to mark the 60th
anniversary of the Coronation. On display will be a spectacular array of
dresses, uniform and robes worn by the principal royal party. Works of
art, paintings and objects used on the day will also be on display to
recreate the atmosphere of that extraordinary occasion. We hope that
some of our archives will form part of the exhibition.
More information at www.royalcollection.org.uk
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions