Search for content in message boards

WELLS, Justus, Josephine, George, William, Albert, Burt, Willard

WELLS, Justus, Josephine, George, William, Albert, Burt, Willard

Posted: 19 Apr 2004 12:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 May 2004 7:37PM GMT
Surnames: WELLS EARLE EARLS EARL
I believe this family is a brother to my ancestor. Is anyone researching this WELLS family or any other WELLS family from Connecticut, Vermont or New York NY between 1750s and 1840s??

1880 IL St Clair St Clair
Justin Wells 50 b: VT - parents born CT and VT
Josephine Wells 45 b: OH parents born VT
George Wells 21 b: MI
William Wells 20 b: MI (your William D?)
Albert Wells 18 b: MI (your Bert S?)
Willard Wells 14 b: MI
Josephine Wells 11 b: MI

I believe Justin / Justus parents are James Wells and Persis Earle ... however, I have not proven this as yet.

Bonita

Re: WELLS, Justus, Josephine, George, William, Albert, Burt, Willard

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 4:48AM GMT
Surnames: Wells/Welles
I'm working on Welles (Wells)
Christopher Wells was in Conneticut in late 1700's. His son Justus Wells was born in New York.
Any connection?

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 5:10PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

I'd like to know what is your source information.........

This is your problem -

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 5:10PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

I'd like to know what is your source information.........

This is your problem -

Facts you should know about the early census records –

All census records [1790 – 1840] prior to the 1850 census ONLY listed the head of household; whether male or female.

NO specific age was stated for any family member
NO place of birth was stated – city, state, or country
NO city, town, or village is stated – only the county; however some census takers listed the township
NO street address was stated
NO marital status was stated – single, married, widowed, or divorced
NO family relationship was stated – brother, sister, cousin, son, daughter, wife, inlaw, etc…
NO occupation was stated
NO parental birthplaces are stated
NO race was stated [but assume “white”]

1850, 1860 & 1870 census records do not show family relationships, marital status or parental birthplaces.

Step children are not enumerated as “step” children
Adopted children are not enumerated as “adopted”
Grand children are not enumerated as “grand children”
Orphaned children were not enumerated as "orphan"

1850 is the 1st census that shows all family members

1880 is the 1st census that shows parental birthplaces and family relationships +++

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 5:36PM GMT
There are several Christophers ... do you have a wife name or more children ... and where in Connecticut? Did they stay in CT?

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 5:43PM GMT
Edited: 24 Mar 2013 5:47PM GMT
Thomasker:

Not exactly sure why you responded with this message the way you did ... but it is always good to have a reminder. I always find that positive supportive messages will promote a great 'genealogy code' ... sharing bits of information, you never know who you may help.

As an addition re: censs records, the early records true will only give you head of house but it will give you a 'range' to their approximate birth year ... and it does allow you to match known children to the 'hen scratches' for household members. The problem comes in when more than one family is living together. Worst case, it will tell you the family's migration. the Pre-1850 records should never be ignored. It might also be added is that the information on ANY census is only as good as the 1) person providing the information and 2) the literacy of the enumerator and his/her ability to get ALL of the families and not skip any houses.

Actually, I do have bible records and have also traced this family since my 2004 message.

Since my WELLS/WELLES are from CT, VT, NH, NY and OH ... one never knows who may be researching a leg of the family and have some 'family' information that will tie all the information together.

Bonita

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 3:01PM GMT
You have several posts on this Welles message board. I would really appreciate your help. I will list what I know and what I've come across through censuses and other people's trees.

My father's mother's mother (my great grandmother):
Florence Russell Welles born 19 Mar 1879 S. Carolina
her father:
Justus Phillip (J.P.) Welles born Oct 1851 New York
he married Mary Browne. She contracted Tuberculosis so they moved to Arizona to help her condition. He became a bookkeeper and worked for U.S. Marshalls while there.He remarried after Mary's death from T.B.
That move kept our family branch to the west,eventually to Calif.
That's what I know.

I found several other Justus (Justis, Justice, Justies) in Conn, NY, Wisc. through censuses.
One older relative said that Justus Wells born around 1804 in Oneida Co, New York.
I'm using him in my tree, but I want to be sure. I see him married to Sarah Flint.
So, if true then
his father per someone's family tree was:
Christopher Wells- 11 Mar 1760 Wethersfield, Hartford, Conn, who married Sarah Montague (he was 30 years older tha her, so I think this is not correct info).
His ancestors per other family tree:
Joseph Wells 1720 Conneticut married Mary Robbins
Joseph Wells 1860 Conneticut married Hannah Robbins

I really want to be correct.
So if you can find the definite link down to my Justus Phillip Welles born 1851, that would be awesome.
Even if not, then whatever you think about that Christopher Wells possible ancestor ... would help me also.
And anyone else who scomes across this thread on message board.
It is confuing with generations using the same name, variations of spelling names and that Wells/Welles, and even misspelled Welles - like the one I came across "Mells".
Thank you so much
Becky

WELLES Justice Phillip, Mary Brown(e)

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 4:03PM GMT
The first thing I would do is to get a copy of his application for a Civil War Pension. It states he is a "JR"
and an "INVALID". The originals are in the NARA in Washington DC. (If you need someone to get it for you, I will give you the name of the gal I use, she normally can gget in a couple of weeks and her rates are normallly less than the NARA directly.)

Name: WELLS, Justus P JR.
Svs: Co. B 1st Terrell(?) Regiment US Voluntary Infantry
Appl #: 1533042
Cert: A-6-28-26
Filed in California on 1 Mar ... year unreadible

I will keep looking

Bonita

Re: WELLES Justice Phillip, Mary Brown(e)

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 12:44AM GMT
I found a hard to read copy of this Civil War application. The date on the left is Mar 1, 1926.... 20 years after his death.
If it's the Justus Welles born 1851, then he was only a young teenager when he went to war.
If this really is him, then the person trying to get the pension may have been his second wife... I've begun corresponding with newly found cousins. The story is his new wife took everything he had after he died, then left town.
Or maybe this is an entirely different Justus Welles Jr.
It looks like there are several of them.
Thanks for helping.
Becky

Re: WELLES Justice Phillip, Mary Brown(e)

Posted: 26 Mar 2013 9:27AM GMT
It is not uncommon for a child to apply for the pension after the father's death. If it is the widow, it should have her name on it.

Can you email me a copy of the application to ladybonita@usa.com ? Perhaps I can figure out what it is saying.

I did find the death notice in a Tucson newspaper. It appears he belonged to a union ...:???

We probably need to move this conversation away from St. Clair Co., MI since it has nothing to do with MI. We can move this to WELLS message board.

It appears his grandson, Marshall, had several male descendants. If you can find a "living male Wells" who is descended from Marshall hopefully he would participate in the WELLS Surname DNA Study. That would narrow down which DNA Family Justus is descended from. The more I find about him, he may be connected to the same DNA Family as Thomas WELLES, the 4th Governor of CT.

Bonita
ladybonita@usa.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions