Search for content in message boards

Genealogy Program recommendations

Genealogy Program recommendations

Posted: 1 Jul 2013 9:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jul 2013 3:43PM GMT
To those researchers who use PAF Genealogy Program and are aware now of the program being discontinued on July 15, and their suggestion of what programs to go to... I am interested in what other folks are using and their likes and dislikes in the program.

They are suggesting Ancestral Quest, Legacy Family Tree and Roots Magic as programs tp adopt.

I learn more from folks using these or any others so I know which way to go.

Thank you,
Ardith

Re: Genealogy Program recommendations

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 12:29PM GMT
I have used Legacy 7.5 DeLuxe, Rootsmagic 6 and Family Tree Maker 2012. All of these programs are very good and any one of them does a good job overall I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them. However, they each have their little pluses or minuses which makes it hard to choose just one.
FTM2012. I like the management facilities - Sources and citations, Pictures & places, event copying (useful for censuses). I do not like the date handling, in particular as I make heavy use of UK register indexes I would like some simple way of entering quarter dates. Dealing with subsets of people could be improved if searches could be saved. However, I have had to stop using it because it does no behave well with Windows 8 on my machine.
LEGACY 7.5 DeLuxe
I like the navigation facilities - a bit of a learning curve based on clicking various blank spots on the interface but terrific once you know how; quarter dates are supported,event copying is also supported. Sources are Ok but if you use a citation more than once and make an error it can be a pain. Very extensive searching facilities including easy searches to find missing data and sources, on the surface no saved searches but in fact there are 9 tagging options which allow up to 9 saved searches. Very customizable reports.
ROOTSMAGIC 6
Excellent date handling and a very nice (non-standard) feature is allowing a sort date for all facts (whether or not they have a natural date attached. Sources and citations are easy with very customizable templates but a let down is the fact that you have to generate a report to find out who is using a citation. This program also allows event sharing and roles/witnesses. I have mixed feelings about this because of the problems that ensue when you attempt to export the data to a GEDCOM. People subsets are very well handled as you can choose subsets using various crieria and save them as a named group.

Posted: 6 Jul 2013 8:46PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jul 2013 9:15PM GMT
Thank you, David.

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 3:33AM GMT
"To those researchers who use PAF Genealogy Program and are aware now of the program being discontinued on July 15 . . ."

PAF is not being "discontinued." It just will no longer be distributed by www.familysearch.org.

Take a look at its history, here, and related links:

http://www.tamurajones.net/index.xhtml
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions