Search for content in message boards

Thompsons of Edenberry

Thompsons of Edenberry

Posted: 26 Nov 2012 4:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Nov 2012 4:28PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Hynan/Hynam, Dignan/Dignam
Hello I am trying to trace any information regarding John Thompson who came from Edenberry in Co' Kildare. John Thompson was married to a Mary Dignan/Dignam in the 1830's in the in the Diocese of Leitrim, they had a son called John Thompson. John jnr married Anne Hynan in the 1850's and had four children, James Thompson, Mary Thompson, John Thompson and Edward Thompson. Any help would be most grateful.

Your's thankfully, Sharon Skow.

Re: Thompsons of Edenberry

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 2:51PM GMT
I'm sure you have the Griffith Valuation of 1853 but
here goes anyway:

John Thompson, Parish of Ardkill, Townland Collinstown,
Poor Law Union Edenberry, tenant of Arthur Smith

3c house, forge and garden

There is one other in the Parish of Naas, Nass West Townland. www.askaboutireland.ie

1824 Pigot's Directory:

John Thompson, Leixlip, Kildare Timber Merchant

Patrick Dignam, Leixlip, Baker

Leixlip, Kildare in 1824 was a market and posttown
8 mi. west of Dublin, 4 mi east of Maynooth and 11 mi.
north of Naas.

Co. Kildare belongs to an Irish History Foundation that has births and marriages but did not find Edenberry nor
the Parish Ardkill.

I googled thinking that the parish may have been amalgamated with another, changed names etc.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary: Has Ardkill as a parish in the barony of Carbery, 4 mi. east from Edenderry, Union of Carberg. Edenderry not Edenberry but it was used in GV. I double checked the spelling in Griffith Valuation.

The closest then is Leixlip and and the parish records only go back to 1844.So you should be able to get the births of the children of John Jr.

There are about 28 Thompson's in the telephone book for
Kildare, some Leixlip and Maynooth as well as others.
Might be worthwhile writing a few letters.

Local Libraries have 'local studies'. Heritage and Museum societies have journals of collected memorial inscriptions from gravestones.

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie for Tithes 1820-1839
www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Kildare
www.igp-web.com + Kildare - look for archives and photo's rom gravestones

Annette Code

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 4:16PM GMT
Annette!

No I do not have the Griffith Valuations, how do I get them???

You have been most helpful and kind, I have recently received my gt grand fathers birth cert, it states he was born in Balrennet. I will definately be looking for a patrick dignam parents now aswell. I am very grateful to you Annette.

Thank you and kind regards,

Sharon.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 10:32PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
One headstone from Edenderry graveyard;

John Thompson; St Francis st; 24/11/1987
Greg Thompson; 19/7/2009
==============
Jack

Posted: 22 Dec 2012 12:31PM GMT
Wow, Thank you Jack.

A Merry Christmas to you Jack.

Kind regards Sharon.

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 10:05PM GMT
Helen Sharon, I was interested in your post. I also have an interest in John Thompson.
My grandmother was Catherine Thompson (maiden name) I believe her parents were John Thompson and I understand there was a Hynan there too. I know they were from Edenderry but have no further information.
Can you let me know what your connection is.??
Many thanks,
Ann

Posted: 8 Jul 2013 7:07PM GMT
Hello Newsletter,

I am unable to give you any further info on John Thompson of Edenderry other than that I have already written on previous post's, sorry Newsletter

John Thompson jnr who married Anne Hynan is my 3x gt grandfather.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful newsletter.

kind regard's Sharon.

Posted: 9 Aug 2013 6:18PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson Hynan Dignan.
Good evening Anne, Do you not find it amusing and somewhat annoying when you think the person with whom you regarded as your grandparent all your life, only to find out that the lady in question is not your grandmother. I too had a grandmother called Catherine Thompson, only to find she isn't, she was still related though through the paternal line. So you too have a Hynan in your clan, did your Thompsons stay put or did they moved across Ireland or move further afield 'across the pond'???

Kind regards Sharon.

Posted: 27 Nov 2013 2:16AM GMT
Sharon,
My grandmother was Catherine Thompson, (maiden name) from Kings County, I believe her father was John and his wife was formally called Hynan. I have checked Edenderry records, however, there are a couple of John Thompsons and Catherine Thompsons. One family is Protestant and the other Catholic. My grandmother did marry and stay in Ireland. I am the one who left.
There seems to be a number of Hynans in the Limerick area. Not sure if there is a connection but it might help you.
Kind regards,
Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions