Search for content in message boards

Kenna - Balfe Kildare

Kenna - Balfe Kildare

Posted: 9 Dec 2012 12:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kenna Balf Balfe
I'm trying to find out more information on my Great-grandmother Ellen Balf(e) of Kyle, Kildare.

My Grandmother's (Julia Kenna) birth certificate has Ellen Kenna formally Balf listed as her mother.

Ellen married Michael Kenna and are listed on both the 1901 & 1911 census. Ellen's birth place is given as Co Kildare on both census. The eldest child, Edward was born 3/10/1897 so I'm assuming the marriage would have been around 1896. There are two possible matches for the marriage... one in Celbridge & the other in Lucan, Dublin (Helena).

Ellen died 9/12/1954 aged 78 years (the census has her aged 24 in 1901 & 36 in 1911!).

I'm struggling to find any record of birth that matches name, location & approximate date, I would really appreciate if someone can shed some light of the Balfe's in Kildare... there doesn't appear to that many but I can't make the connection.

Re: Kenna - Balfe Kildare

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 6:11AM GMT
Connections are hard to make without going through Parish records. Kildare belongs to an Irish History Foundation.

In Griffith Valuation of 1853 there were only 7 occupants of land in Kildare. Mostly widows, or perhaps the Miss Mary is a daughter of man who had the lease on the property and it was then transferred into their name on his death.

Catherine Balfe, Ballymore Eustace Parish
Miss Mary Balfe, Kilcock Parish
Bridget Balfe, Kilcock Parish
Anne Balfe, Laraghbryan Parish

www.askaboutireland.ie for details of property & landlords

This is the first time I've ever seen just women's names!

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie has the Tithe Applotments
from 1820-1839.

There are no Balfe's listed in the Tithe Applotments, so
either they moved to Ireland between 1839 and 1853 or moved from another county. There are Balfe's in Co. Wicklow some
of which went to Upper Canada in the 1800's.

There are 20 Kenna's in the Tithe Applotments and 70 Kenna's.

I would either try the Foundation for a marriage record and any siblings or look through the Civil Registrations on
www.familysearch.org (1864-1950)

The Government of Ireland is currently considering releasing the 1921 Census early.

Directories: similar to yellow pages, so can have more than one listing under different headings

1846 & 1870:

Mary Balfe, Maynooth & Kilcock, Grocer
Mary Balfe, same, Linen & Woollen Drapers & Haberdashers

1870: James Balfe, Grocer

1881: James Balfe, Astabog, Clonsilla - farmer & grazier

Only 12 Balfe's in the 1901 Census. The Ellen Kenna in 1911
Census of Whiteisland West (Kildare, Kildare) had been married 15 years (1896), had 8 children with 8 living. Her father
may have been John, 2nd. son.

Ages are notoriously wrong in census, never sure why,in this case she can read and write!

Celbridge Civil Registration District is Kildare. The marriage 1896 Oct-Dec and the LDS microfilm is Vol.2 Pg. 426 #4179390 and there is a matching
one for Michael Kenna.

You can get a copy from the General Registry Office in
Dublin. www.groireland.ie with both names and the Oct-Dec
1896. They can then search for the children's birth certificates if you want them. It is done online not too
expensive. A marriage will give you both of their father's names only, parish/place and date.

I estimate her birth as about 1875. I have the civil registrations for Ireland from 1864-1875 but the last Balfe listed is April, 1874.

There is an Eliza Balfe born 15 August 1873 Kilcock, Kildare
Mo: Eliza Balfe Latter Day Saints FHL Film 255889

No father so she is a single mother, and Ellen named a daughter after her.

If you would like the names of the other Balfe's let me know they are:
Patrick Balfe & wife Catherine Connell, and Thadeus or Thady
Balfe with wife Christian Brien, both had two boys each.

If you take away 20/25 years off the parents you would know when they were born, most Irish married at those ages.

The CD for the K no longer works so can't look up the Kenna's.

There are 12 Balfe's in the current online telephone directory for Kildare, and many Kenna's.

Annette Code

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 7:01AM GMT
Thanks for such a detailed reply some of which I knew but a lot I wasn't aware of. I'm quite curious about Ellen, I'll follow up on this info and see where it takes me, thanks again.

Posted: 12 Dec 2012 5:14PM GMT
Hi Annette,

could I ask your opinion on something?

My great grandfather Michael Kenna (m Ellen Balfe) was the son of Edward Kenna. An Edward Kenna and his wife Eliza (nee Owens) are on the 1901 Census in House 2 Whitesland West. By 1911 it's Michael & Ellen in House 1 Whitelands West, presumably following the deaths of Edward & Eliza (1905, I think). The records appear to point that Michaels parents are Edward & Eliza.

But.... The Grave has the following inscription:
In loving memory of
Julia and Edward Kenna
Kyle. (nb Kyle ties in with Whitelands)
Their son Michael died March
died March 1942 aged 68 year
His wife Ellen
died 9th Dec 1954 aged 79 years...

Do you think it's likely that the grave inscription could be incorrect in relation to the parents of Michael? I've not found any other evidence that confirms Michaels mother to be Julia other than his daughter (my Grandmother) was named Julia but then there is also a daughter named Eliza!

It all very confusing!
Attachments:

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 11:31PM GMT
Here's the marriage details for Ellen Balfe (same for Michael Kenna, so a match):

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
Name: Ellen Balfe
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1896
Registration district: Celbridge
Volume: 2
Page: 426
FHL Film Number: 101258

You can purchase this cert from www.groireland.ie if you're interested in ascertaining the name of Ellen's father. I think the cert will tell you the name of the Church they were married in, and if you then contact that Church, there's a good chance they will have the name of Ellen's mother (same for Michael Kenna, obviously!).

On ancestry.com there are lots of other Balfe marriages in Kildare - perhaps siblings of Ellen's??

Good luck.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 11:31PM GMT
Here's the marriage details for Ellen Balfe (same for Michael Kenna, so a match):

Name: Ellen Balfe
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1896
Registration district: Celbridge
Volume: 2
Page: 426
FHL Film Number: 101258

You can purchase this cert from www.groireland.ie if you're interested in ascertaining the name of Ellen's father. I think the cert will tell you the name of the Church they were married in, and if you then contact that Church, there's a good chance they will have the name of Ellen's mother (same for Michael Kenna, obviously!).

On ancestry.com there are lots of other Balfe marriages in Celbridge - perhaps siblings of Ellen's??

Good luck.

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 7:58AM GMT
Thanks for the information. I'll get hold of the certificate and hopefully it will confirm Ellen parents as John Balfe & Rosanna Archbold which I have picked up since my original post.

If this is the case then Ellen was born in Co Wicklow, not Kildare as stated on the census... my relatives do like to lead me a merry dance :)

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 10:43AM GMT
You're welcome.
By the way, Celbridge IS in Co. Kildare, so your relatives weren't having you on!!

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 2:25AM GMT
Here's the marriage details for Rosanna Archbold (same for John Balfe, so a match - Naas is in Co. Kildare) in case they turn out to be Ellen Balfe's parents:

Name: Rosanna Archbold
Date of Registration: 1874
Registration district: Naas
Volume: 12
Page: 749
FHL Film Number: 101252

Happy hunting!

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 2:25AM GMT
Here's the marriage details for Rosanna Archbold (same for John Balfe, so a match - Naas is in Co. Kildare) in case they turn out to be Ellen Balfe's parents:

Name: Rosanna Archbold
Date of Registration: 1874
Registration district: Naas
Volume: 12
Page: 749
FHL Film Number: 101252

Happy hunting!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions