Search for content in message boards

Terpstra Family in Groningen

Terpstra Family in Groningen

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 12:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello!
I am starting my research of my Terpstra family before they came to the United States. I am starting to try and fill in information, one person at a time. I am currently looking for the exact death date for Guitze Terpstra. His parents are Siemen Eeltjes Terpstra and Lolkje Kornelis Oostenbrug. He was born 14 May 1883 in Garmerwolde, TenBoer. He married Doetje Postma on 18 May 1905 in TenBoer. I would love any information available. I have used Genlias and couldn't find any additional information.
Thank you for your time,

Jodi VanEngen-Walder

Re: Terpstra Family in Groningen

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 1:35AM GMT
The marriage record came up pretty easy you probably already have with the information you have. For TenBoer there is only this at Genlias:

Ten Boer
Records of marriage 1811-1922
Records of death 1811-1952 New april 2008

Generally you can't get death records beyond the 1950's. You can try newspapers for obituaries, or "civil registry" notices. Another avenue is gravestones.

While I am writing this I actually have a hit on graftombe.nl you can order free of charge a picture of the gravestone.

Just do a simple search for the name. Guitze born 14 May 1883 died 2 May 1953 and he is buried at Bedum. With the exact right birthdate he is sure to be the right guy.

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 1:42AM GMT
For Doetje Postma we have from the same site:

Doetje Postma born 16 Jul 1882 died 20 Aug 1956 buried at Bedam

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 5:26PM GMT
Luke,
Thank you so much for your time! I appreciate what you have done in assisting me. I may be in touch again if you don't mind?

Jodi

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 7:04PM GMT
no problem, let me know if you are having difficulties ordering a picture of the gravestone.

Posted: 20 Mar 2012 11:42PM GMT
Thanks again Luke! Can you assist me if alot of my Terpstras are from Friesland? I'm trying to locate birth info for Eeltje Jenses Terpstra who was born about 1806 in Wanswerd, Ferwerderadiel, Friesland. He died 3 Dec 1882 in Dantumadeel? Friesland. Let me know if you think I should contact someone closer to those locations.

Thanks again,
Jodi

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 12:50AM GMT
Dantumadeel is in Friesland not Groningen, and I am not too sure whatever happened to our Friesland forum here. I guess we are relegated to posting in the general forum for Friesland questions, but we are in the wrong province here. You can find out a lot by just doing a Google search, you would have known that Dantumadeel is in Friesland.

Genlias is only good for searches after 1811 generally.

There is a genealogy webpage for Friesland, it lets you do searches from before 1811, you can click the English flag on the home page for searches in English.

http://www.tresoar.nl/

good luck!

Posted: 21 Mar 2012 10:35PM GMT
Thanks again Luke!

Jodi

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 1:11AM GMT
Just found another mystery in the Groningen area. Looking for birth and death dates for Aaltje Terpstra and his wife Emme Kuizenga. Aaltje was born about 1906 in TenBoer and Emme was born about 1902 in Rasquert, Winsum. They married on 4 May 1929 in Bedum. I would appreciate anything you are able to find about either of them!

Thanks!!

Jodi

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 11:56AM GMT
Why didn't try a search on graftombe.nl?

If it worked for Guitze it is not going to hurt to try to see if you can get results for Aaltje. Did you just copy what I got for Guitze or did you actually do the search on graftombe? Did you get the pictures ordered?

Aaltje is right there.
use last name Terpstra and birthdate between 1905 and 1907
per page

Find a board about a specific topic