Search for content in message boards

Dougets in Pine Praire area

Dougets in Pine Praire area

Posted: 28 Apr 2002 5:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 May 2002 4:03AM GMT
Surnames: Douget, Deshotel
I am looking for any information on Dougets in the Pine Prairie area. (Or any other area for that matter!) My grandfather's name was Elford Carrol Douget and his parents were Oda Douget and Odozia Deshotel. They were from the Pine Prairie area and I'm stumped when I try to go back any further. I know we have relatives still in the area, but I cant seem to find them.....aaargh!

Any help is appreciated!

Re: Dougets in Pine Praire area

Posted: 2 May 2002 8:25PM GMT
Dear Tristian,

The following information was found in "Southwest Louisiana Records" by Rev. Donald J. Hebert. Fr. Hebert is deceased. You can see his obit and a list of his publications at hebertpublications.com

Generation No. 1

Jean Louis Doguet was born in unknown - his parents are unknown. He married (#1) Hyacinthe Berza April 21 in St. Landry Parish Ct. Hse.: Mar. #1723. Hebert, V. 6, p. 173

Hyacinthe was born October 17, 1841 (Joseph Berza and Phelonise Bertrand) in St. Landry Parish - bt. St. Landry Catholic Church, Opelousas, LA Hebert, V. 4, p. 21

Hyacinthe died Bef. July 22, 1865 in St. Landry Parish - this is date her widr. remarried. I do not have a death record for Hyacinthe.

Jean Louis Doguet m. (#2) Marie Fontenot, July 22, 1865 in St. Landry Parish Ct. Hse.: Mar. #2615. Hebert, V. 4, p. 133
Marie Fontenot was born in unknown - her parents are unknown.

I have no children listed for Jean Louis and Marie Fontenot.

Children of Jean Doguet and Hyacinthe Berza:

1. Jean Louis Doguet

2. Hyacinthe Doguet, b. February 08, 1859, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Hebert, V. 6, p. 172

3. Felicianne (twin) Doguet, b. September 14, 1860, St. Landry Parish, bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Hebert, V. 6, p. 172

4. Felicianne (twin) b. September 14, 1860, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Hebert, V. 6, p. 172

Generation No. 2

Jean Louis Doguet (Jean Louis) married Octavie Saucier, October 04, 1887 in Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA d/o Defran Saucier and Celima Deville. Hebert, V. 18, p. 103

Children of Jean Doguet and Octavie Saucier are:

1. Elphage Doguet, b. April 27, 1890, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Hebert, V. 21, page 119

2. Ade Doguet, b. November 27, 1903, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA Hebert, V. 35, page 158

3. Eric Doguet, b. January 05, 1905, St. Landry Parish, bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA Hebert, V. 37, page 231

4. Eleet Doguet, b. June 30, 1907, St. Landry Parish - bt. St. Anthony Catholic Church, Eunice LA Hebert, V. 39, page 246

5. Auctrasie Doguet, b. October 30, 1909, St. Landry Parish - bt. St. Anthony Catholic Church, Eunice, LA Hebert, V. 41, page 237

Felicianne (twin) Doguet (Jean Louis) was born September 13, 1860, bt. VP Ch. She married (#1) Augustave/Gustave Deshotels (I have not found their marriage record - his parents are unknown). Children of Felicianne Doguet and Gustave Deshotels:

1. Marie Elinina Deshotels, b. June 22, 1883, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Hebert, V. 16, p. 160

2. Azelie Deshotels, b. December 08, 1884, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA Hebert, V. 16, p. 160

3. Jules Delmi Deshotels, b. October 29, 1886, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA Hebert V. 17, p. 168

Felicianne (twin) Doguet married (#2) Simeon (Meillon) Fontenot September 03, 1890 in St.Landry Par. ct. Hse. Mar. #23208. Hebert, V. 21, p. 154
Simeon (Meillon) Fontenot's was b. unknown - his parents are unknown. I found Simeon and Felicianne in "The Fontenot Family, 1600-1903: A Genealogical Study of The Descendants of Jean Louis Fontenot dit Colin and Louise Angelique Henry" pub. 199 by The Evangeline Parish Genealogical & Historical Society, P. O. Box 664, Ville Platte, LA 70586, page 496 - Unidentified Fontenot Family number 53.

Re: Ada Doguet b. 13 Aug. 1898, d. 15 Aug. 1974, Pine Prairie, LA

Posted: 2 May 2002 8:56PM GMT
I posted the first part of the message in error - I wanted only to preview the message.

Correction: Jean Louis Doguet married Hyacinthe Berza April 21, 1858.

Children of Felicianne Doguet and Simeon Fontenot are:

1. Cossuth Fontenot, b. August 21, 1891, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA.

2. Simeon Fontenot, Jr., b. April 02, 1894, St. landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA

3. Aline Fontenot, b. February 23, 1902, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA

4. Otride Fontenot, b. April 04, 1903, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA

Children were found in Unidentified Fontenot Family number 53, page 496

Information in the Fontenot book came from the first 31 volumes of Fr. Hebert's "Southwest Louisiana Records", research in France by Robert Bruce Ardoin, donated family files and "The First Fontenot Families" by Jacqueline Olivier Vidrine and Elaine G. Pucheau, pub. Louisiana Genealogical Register, Vol. XXII, No. 4, Dec. 1975, pp. 387 - 391; supplement pub. Vol. XXIII, No. 2, June 1976, pp. 122-123.

Felicien (twin) Doguet (Jean Louis) was born September 14, 1860 in St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA.. He married Celimene Saucier (Theodule & Celima David) November 15, 1881 in Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Hebert, V. 15, p. 499

Children of Felicien Doguet and Celimene Saucier are:

1. Carlos Doguet

2. Eugenie Doguet, b. September 18, 1882, St. Landry Parish - bt. Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Catholic Church, Chataignier, LA. Hebert, V. 15, p. 164

3. Oda Doguet, b. August 13, 1898, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA Hebert, V. 29, page 147. Oda died August 15, 1974, Evangeline Parish - Pine Prairie, LA 70576 - SSDI -
Social Security Death Index at ancestry.com
Note: Oda was bt. as Odee Dogue (Felician & Celemine Saucier) b. 13 Aug. 1898 (VP Ch.: v. 7, p. 114) Hebert, V. 29, p. 147

Evangeline Parish was carved out of St. Landry Parish in 1911. Chataignier Church records are stored at St. Anthony Catholic Church in Eunice, LA.

4. Octoleme Doguet, b. September 04, 1885, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA Hebert, V. 17, p. 173

Generation No. 3

Carlos Doguet (Felicien (twin), Jean Louis) married Lydia McCauley, June 18, 1907 in Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Lydia was the d/o Olova McCauley and Dorsina Fuselier. Hebert, V. 29, p. 246

Child of Carlos Doguet and Lydia McCauley is:
Rosa Doguet, b. April 29, 1908, St. Landry Parish - bt. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Ville Platte, LA. Hebert, V. 40, p. 249

I did not find Odozia Douget (a wife takes her husband's surname on the SSDI) on the Social Security Death Index. I was able to link Oda to the other Doguets in my database only after I found his birth date on the SSDI. If you know where she is buried, a visit to the cemetery may reveal her birth and death dates. If you know which funeral home handled her funeral arrangements, they should be able to furnish you with a photocopy of her death certificate.

Avec mes meilleurs sentiments
(with my very best wishes)
Rosie Morein Wells
Birmingham, AL

Re: Elford C. Douget, b. 12 Aug. 1926, d. 27 Apr. 2000, Vinton, LA

Posted: 2 May 2002 9:05PM GMT
I forgot to include this last bit of information, found on the SSDI.

Rosie Morein Wells
Birmingham, AL

Helen Tate Rasmussen (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2002 2:33AM GMT
My mother was a Douga(Douget) from Oberlin/Basile.If you have resources available try looking in Father Don Hebert's Southwest Louisiana Records.They are all there, up to the early 1900's

Posted: 11 May 2002 5:16AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2006 5:45PM GMT
Kenneth, I would like for you to contact me about the Doguets. I can help with the ancestry of the Jean Louis family. I would also like to have your family information to add to my Dogue/Doguet/Douget/Doge files. Thanks very much. E-mail me: peggy@cfaith.com

Peggy Fontenot Stevenson
Posted: 11 May 2002 5:19AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jan 2006 5:45PM GMT
Helen, please contact me. I would like to hear from you on your Doguets. Thanks very much.

Peggy Fontenot Stevenson
E-Mail: peggy@CFaith.com

Re: Dougets in Pine Praire area -

Posted: 24 Jun 2002 11:55AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2002 8:25AM GMT
Surnames: Douget, Deshotels, Ortego
Dear Kenneth,

A Douget descendant gave me the following information:

"Odozia Douget was my grandmother. Oda was her first husband, they divorced; she then married Leonard Ortego. She was married to Leonard until her death. This may be the reason it was hard to find her name in SSDI."

Looking at the SSDI I found Edozia Ortego, b. 12 Oct. 1904, d. Jan. 1982, Ville Platte, Evangeline Parish, LA 70586

Adozia Deshotels (Arcade & Armide Deshotels) b. 12 Oct. 1904 (VP Ch.: v. 9, p. 190) Source: Hebert, V. 36, p. 203

If you would like to correspond with the lady who wrote me, I will be happy to send her name and email address.

Avec mes meilleurs sentiments,
Rosie Morein Wells
Birmingham, AL

Posted: 25 May 2004 3:39AM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2005 6:18PM GMT
Helen, I am helping a cousin research her Douga/Douget family. I have Theodore Douga ( her g.grandfather). He was born 1855/1856. He died 7-29-1948. buried in Oberlin cem.
I understand he was from Oberlin/Elton area.
Not sure, we think he married 1st- Virginia Ortego.
Do you have anything in your research on him or his parents etc. I understand he had a son Zee Douga. Family legend says Theodore Douga is Indian. . Any help is appreciated.
He went by the name of Douga- some of the family went by Douget.
You can reach me at odissanders@earthlink.net or
just reply to this message. I read you messages on the messabe board.
Thanks, D Sanders

Helen Rasmussen (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2004 2:06AM GMT
That's my ggrdftr;Mom said he was a mailcarrier with horse & buggy;first wife died after my gradnfather was born.Remariied & had several children.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions