Search for content in message boards

Hix Family - Hixburg

Hix Family - Hixburg

Posted: 22 Sep 2003 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Sep 2003 1:21AM GMT
Surnames: Worley, Mitchell, Hix
I visited my Grandmother's birthplace a few weeks ago (Hixburg is a long way from Vancouver Canada!). Very pretty countryside.
I was able to find both of my great-grandmother's husbands' graves in the Walker's Church graveyard, but there was no sign of her parents (WORLEY), grandparents (MITCHELL), aunts, uncles or siblings. I think that they must have been buried on their own land (and Mary WORLEY's Union soldier husbands were probably not welcome in the family plots!).
At the Library of Virginia I was able to find out that the MITCHELL land was sold to William D. HIX in 1874.
Does anyone have any contacts with present-day Hix families in Hixburg (or a telephone number for the business across from Walker's Church?). I would like to ask them if they have seen any old tombstones in the fields.

Thanks!

Lori Herman
North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Re: Hix Family - Hixburg

Posted: 23 Sep 2003 8:46AM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2004 12:26PM GMT
I KNOW THE HIX FAMILY AND HAVE THEIR PHONE #, IF YOU WILL CONTACT ME ON THURSDAY I WILL GIVE IT TO YOU I AM GOING OUT OF TOWN...NOT NECESSARILY SO, MY GRANDFATHER WAS A UNION SOLDIER WHO MARRIED A SOUTHERN GIRL AND THEY ARE BURIED SIDE BY SIDE AT WALKERS CHURCH. THE HIX FAMILY RAN A FUNERAL PARLOR AT THAT TIME AND THEY DID A LOT OF THE BURIALS, UNFORTUNATELY THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RECORDS. THERE ARE A LOT OF GRAVES ON THE PROPERTIES THERE. PLEASE REMIND ME ON THURSDAY OR THIS WEEKEND WITH MORE INFO ON YOUR FAMILY, I THINK I MAY CAN HELP. I ALSO HAVE BURIAL BOOK AND SOME CONTACTS FOR YOU.

Posted: 28 Sep 2003 7:21PM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2004 12:26PM GMT
Surnames: Goin/Harker
I have much info on Hixburg and the families in that area...will be glad to help...yes many people were buried on their own land at that time...William and Glenna Hix are now the decendents and live in the old family homeplace....I have visited with them many times on my Harker/Goin line there.
The # is 804-248-5524.....the area code may have changed but the phone no. is correct.

Posted: 4 Apr 2005 1:31AM GMT
Surnames: Harwood/James
Wow Janice! I know this message is a couple of years old but I was wondering if you still have information or contact with the Hix family? My great-grandmother was Ellen Harwood James and William Hix is her nephew. I am trying to remember Mr. Hix's mothers name but I can't. I have been wanting to find out where my great-grandmother's home place is in Pamplin. I would love to visit the land if it is vacant.

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 11:35PM GMT
Surnames: HIX
In 1987, I lived in a house in Thomasville, NC. It was built by the Hix family in 1911-ish, and I found some very old pix. One is a postcard pic addressed to Mrs WD Hix, Hixburg, Appox Co, VA. No other address. These are old Hix family pics. I kept them. If anyone is interested in looking at these pics to see if they belong to your family, please contact me at celestialprincess2@cox.net

Posted: 25 Oct 2011 2:35PM GMT
They are my step family and I currently live in one of the houses. I am actually thinking of doing a project of the histories of the area during the civil war for my Va history class.

Posted: 4 Nov 2011 1:30AM GMT
Hello,

I live nowhere near the area (I am all the way up in Canada on the West Coast) but I would be happy to share what little I have via email. If you are thinking of doing a history project you should visit the courthouse. One thing I have learned (since my visit there many years ago) is that even thought the courthouse burned in 1892 (I believe) many people came to the new courthouse to register their wills and deeds, etc so that they could establish their rights to their land and family assets. Even if they did not have copies of the original documents I understand that it was common practice to give an oral description of what their lands were and how they acquired them. (I really wish I had known this before I went down there). The automatic response of the courthouse front office staff is to say 'no, everything burned.' (Less work for them!)
I have also read that having a Northern accent can be a bit of a disadvantage. Best to call on your ties to the area and the local families. Of course the Library of Virginia has a copy of almost everything and they are amazingly helpful!

If you happen to come across any graves on the old Hix properties I would be so very grateful if you would take a picture of them and send it to me. I am particularly interested in any WORLEY or MITCHELL or HILL gravestones.

I believe that originally William Hill was granted about 1500 acres around Sawney Creek - this place was mentioned in Grant's correspondence in the final days of the War - Check out this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/1865/04/20/news/grant-s-army-record-o...
(I think it's called Swanney Creek today). His children divided the land and some of it came to my Samuel Worley through his wife, Mary Mitchell (through her father Samuel, through his mother, Sarah Hill). They have all sorts of maps at the Library of Virginia that can help you see how the land you are living on relates to William Hill's original land grant, and I am sure that there will also be maps of the progress of Grant and Lee's armies in the final days of the War. (I believe that the Library of Virginia also has some slave narratives at least one of which describes those final days.)

Good luck with your research - and please again, let me know if you would like any further information from me. I would be more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Lori Herman
inmarketing@shaw.ca
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions