Search for content in message boards

Sync impossible between FTM and Ancestry on Mac

Sync impossible between FTM and Ancestry on Mac

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 4:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood
I have had nothing but problems since purchase. I have gone through all recommended procedures, uninstall, reinstall FTM. Unlink trees, delete trees, rename trees, you name it, Ive done it. Yes I can download one tree from Ancestry if I clear out FTM completely, but then I have several copies of most of my media files, and literally hundreds of copies of some of the citations.
I have cleared all of this up and once only got a successful sync from FTM to Ancestry. However, after accepting just a couple of links on Ancestry the next day, FTM wont sync - it either crashes or freezes at every attempt. I have spent hours and hours over this, sending copies of crash reports to FTM support, but just keep getting the standard 'what to do' emails back again and again.
Enough Ancestry, get your act sorted!

Re: Sync impossible between FTM and Ancestry on Mac

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:20AM GMT
Have you tried on another computer?

John D

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:24AM GMT
To do that I would have to uninstall FTM again (4th time) and reinstall on my laptop, then presumably re invite all my shared contacts again. I have already invited them three times due to unlinking and re linking and fell more like giving up with FTM than doing this.
It has not worked since day 1. and even trying a second smaller tree hasnt worked. It wont produce reports for a tree with only 560 people in it , but duplicates people like confetti.
Hilda

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 11:35AM GMT
You do not have to unistall FTM nor reinvite friends for the test.

The test is to see if your problem is related in some way to the computer that you use.

If it syncs correctly on another computer you then know that FTM and your files are OK and you have isolated the problem to your computer.

At the moment you are blaming FTM/Ancestry, which may be correct, but it may not be. You simply don't know.

You need to work through the options and eliminate the variables until you pinpoint the issue.

Both FTM 2012 and FTMM are working and syncing for most people. It is not for you so you need to runs some tests to fnd out why.

There is a free patch coming out for FTMM very soon that incorporates all the sync bug fixes that were added to FTM 2012. Again this may fix your problem.

But with a problem like this you have to work through the options changing one thing at a time.

I would also try syncing with a dummy file to see if it is a file problem.

John D

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 2:52PM GMT
As I understand it FTM will only install on one computer, so that is why I believe I have to uninstall and reinstall on second machine. This is a Mac machine, so I dont know if it is different for windows.
Let me give you an example of the probs I am having, the other day I added my cousins child. This side of the family is of no interest to me, so I have not followed any links in this direction. The child was the bottom of my tree.
Today, I had 21 copies of that child listed beneath her dad!. I worked through my tree and found spatterings of 15 plus duplicates of people all over the place. I have spent hours and hours on this, and believe me I have been working on these deletions since 9.30 this morning.
Having removed all of them (I think) I tried another synch. It got right to the final part, finalizing and crashed again.
If I can install FTM on another computer without taking it off this one again, I will do so, happily.
Hilda

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:04PM GMT
PS
John should have added I have tried a test tree under instruction from Ancestry. All is good with that one, except that it wont print or generate any reports passed the home person. Have tried several fixes for this too, but nothing working yet. This tree also obtains duplicates after any synch failure.
My initial tree which I have worked on all day, I checked again in FTM for duplicates, as all were cleared before I started and it tells me there are 563.
I have screen copied the complete list and will spend the rest of the day deleting them rather than go the merge route, which I have done so many times, and try synching again after that.

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 10:29PM GMT
FTM for Mac will only work on Mac computers

I was suggesting that you try it on another Mac.

If it works, then you know that you don't have a problem with FTM or Ancestry but in your Mac computer. There are settings etc that can be adjusted.

My other thought is that syncing and linking involves of course the Internet and how you have set up your internet, firewalls, virus checkers, and the like.

Again, if it works on another Mac again you know where to look.

It is up to you to decide if you won't to elimintae some unknowns or not, or simple play around with your file hoping. me, I would try and work through the variables until you pin point the issue

If you want to continue with your file and assume that your computer or more accurately its settings are ok, I would suggest this

Create a new file on FTMM with one person, yourself.

Now merge you main file to this file and then remove the simnge duplicate.

Now try linking and syncing.

What happens?

John D

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 9:28AM GMT
Hi John,
Yes I already have it installed on my other Mac, but it wont link with any existing trees, and I will have to make a new one to test that computer, but under instructions from help line, I had started a second tree on my main computer, and I found that exactly the same thing happened on that tree, spattering 10 plus copies of people etc after failed synchs.
I dont have anti virus on my Mac, and I had turned off firewall, again under instructions from Ancestry.
I wil try your suggestion at the end of your post when I return in a couple of days. Bye the way, I dont have any dross, games etc., my computer is a work machine for graphic design and photographic restoration in Photoshop.
I I will let you know what happens
Hilda

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 11:23PM GMT
I am having the same problems. Multiple multiple multiple duplicate entries of people, events, facts. I got sick of dealing with that every time, so turned off the automatic sync and decided to just click on it manually. Now trees refuse to sync. This software is just terrible. So FRUSTRATING! Who has time to waste like this, trying desperately to figure out how to fix it? Ancestry needs to clean up this software. It is NOT working for most people. I wish I had read all the negative reviews before purchasing.

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:07AM GMT
I, too, have been having a terrible time with FTM. When my old Mac gave out last September, I got a brand new iMac and thought it was a good time time get FTM. I got it for the automatic sync feature but that has proved to be a problem. During the last 4 months, the FTM and tree on ancestry.com have spontaneously 'unlinked' 14 times. There is no way to re-link, so according to instructions from support, I had to download from ancestry.com into FTM. Doing this 15 times has been very time-consuming and frustrating. And, often if the two are still linked, during the syc process multiple people or media are added (like 15-20 copies of 1 picture!!!). Very time consuming to edit and fix. I have not been impressed at all with this program.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions