Search for content in message boards

Equitable Powder Mfg. Co. Explosion in 1915

Equitable Powder Mfg. Co. Explosion in 1915

Posted: 26 Jul 2004 10:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jul 2005 2:25AM GMT
There was a terrible explosion April 1, 1915 where 5 men died. Their names were James COLBURN, Louis MURPHY, Elmer KORTKAMP, Gus VOLZ and Clyde DAVIS. Are any of these men your ancestors? Please contact me if you are a descendant.

Re: Equitable Powder Mfg. Co. Explosion in 1915

Bruce C. Brown (View posts)
Posted: 4 Feb 2005 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Kortkamp
Hello, My mother was Betty Aileen Kortkamp(1919-1982). Mom was the grandaughter of William Kortkamp,(b 1847 Mo-died 1933 Hillsboro, montgomery Co Ill) William ran the "Kortkamp" coal mine near Hillsboro. He had two brothers who also worked there, "Fred"(Fredrick) and "Louis" whos real first name was prob not Louis. This Louis supposidly died around 1914 in a Minning disaster. I dont know what type of "disaster" it was though. William,Fred,Louis all lived in Hillsboro area, the family had moved from Madison County, Ill where their grandfather had settled from Prussia.

Bruce C. Brown
<bcbrown44@hotmail.com>

Posted: 3 Apr 2010 5:37AM GMT
Surnames: kortkamp
Elmer was my grandfathers younger brother. So he was my great uncle................what is your connection?

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 7:20PM GMT
Surnames: Kortkamp,Ritter
Hello Kristen. My mother was Betty Aileen Kortkamp daughter of William Frederick Kortkamp JR(1875-1934) and grandaughter of William Frederick Kortkamp SR(1847-1933) and Great grandaughter of Frederick Kortkamp, born Lengerich, West-fallen Prussia(n.W Germany) in 1820, came to the US(Baltimore,MD) in 1842..he married in Illinois abt 1846 to "Mary". Frederick was the eldest son of 'Adolph" Kortkamp(1796-1883). my grandfather was born in Alton,Madison co. Ill, and my mom was born in Danville,Vermillion Co. Ill. She lived for awhile in Hillsboro, Montgomery co Ill with her grandfather and aunt(1924-1930)before moving to Detroit,Mi and marrying in 1939 to Brandon S. Brown. If you need any more info, let me know.
Bruce C. Brown

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 11:57PM GMT
If you want to read more about this disaster, and many more at the Equitable Powder Mfg. Co. in East Alton, check out the Madison County ILGenWeb website at this link:

http://madison.ilgenweb.net/newspaper.html

Just scroll down to the East Alton section.

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: KORTKAMP
ELMER KORTKAMP WAS MY GREAT UNCLE, MY GRANDFATHERS YOUNGER BROTHER.....

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Colburn
Yes, James Colburn is a descendant of my husband's family. As you probably know James had a brother named Charles who also died in a powder company explosion. We have recently been to the cemetery where James and his sister Carrie are buried along with a few other Colburns. My husband's descends from Charles. I am sure that you have been able to get the Colburn lineage from the Internet..please let me know if you haven't.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions