Search for content in message boards

Where can you download a UK version for the Mac?

Where can you download a UK version for the Mac?

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 9:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Ok, I know a simple but daft question.

I have just changed to a mac and have many years of FTM files/work on my PC

So I want a copy of the mac version, but where can I download this?
The US version is available as a download, but the UK store as a disc/box only

I don't want a disk version, as I don't have a disk drive with my Mac mini, so that's why I am after the download

Thanks for your help, as I am sure people know where this can be done

Re: Where can you download a UK version for the Mac?

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 10:18AM GMT
The first version was available via the App Store, but withdrawn when the new version was due to be released.
I am not aware of any facilty to download the UK version of FTMM2 and believe you will have to buy the disk version and follow Apples instructions for installing programs on non disk drive equipped machines.
Althernatively you can buy the US version if the site will allow you to. I suspect it will not allow Canadian residents to for instance.
I think the primary differences are dictionary and the pathway into Ancestry is .com rather tham .uk, but it is the same servers/data anyway.

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 10:31AM GMT
thanks Tony

I am sure there must be a way/site to download this without being in the US

buying disks that you wont/cant use, in this online age seems a bit daft doesn't it?

Posted: 25 Dec 2012 10:44AM GMT
My Macs have drives and we also have an external drive, so not a problem in our household.
Personally, I like the comfort of music, films, programs etc on disk in world where the legitimacy of your ownership might be called into question.
I was only speculating about possible problems downloading the US version based on comments I have seen that the US shop wouldn't export to Canada because of Customs regs. If you down't want to mess around with the UK version on disk, I would give it a try.
I use Reunion which I bought via download.They are an American company based in Pennsylvania.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 2:54PM GMT
I just use the Windows version of FTM, but run it under Parallels. I've been running it under XP, and now run it under windows8. Using a Windows virtusl machine takes some more disk space, but it means I can still run FTM, Proshow Porducer and quickbooks (either better on windows or only on windows programs) on my mac - and I can retire my old windows desktop.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 3:45PM GMT
I gave up with trying to find a Mac download and the people at Ancestry (both .co.uk & .com) were not very helpful at all in truth

In the end I bought the disk version and borrowed a disk drive for the Mac

Now all I need to do is find out how to get my £75 off Ancestry, as an existing member for their free 6 months offer

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 5:27PM GMT
I got it by installing it - it seems to have happened again installing it on a new windows install under parallels!

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 6:11PM GMT
I installed it and pressed Activate, but as I am already an member of Ancestry nothing happened - as far as I know

I need to make a seperate post and or email the guys at Ancestry to find out more (when I get a chance) as £75 is £75 after all!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions