Search for content in message boards

Coates Family, Kildare

Coates Family, Kildare

Posted: 11 May 2013 10:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Aylmer Coates
I am trying to research my family of Coates. I have gone back as far as 1812 to my great, great, great grandfather, Captain Richard Aylmer Coates. He married Frances Plunkett in 1812 and apparently was in the 49th Regiment. I have found references to a Richard Aylmer Coates in the London Gazette's military announcements but have not yet found a military record for him. Family lore says that we were connected to the Coates' of Knockanally House and that an ancestor went off with the maid who had red hair so he was disinherited! It's possible a Coates married an Aylmer as the Aylmer's owned most of the land in the area and sold the land to the Coates' who built Knockanally. I wanted to know if anyone came across Richard Aylmer Coates or Frances Plunkett or any other information that might help. Thanks

Re: Coates Family, Kildare

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 2:31AM GMT
www.landedestates.ie

Aylmers Croagh (Smithfield & Ballylin, Co. Limerick

Henry & Richard Aylmer Oct 1794 leased the house of Smithfield to Rev. Smyth.

see more details on website, did not find any references in Kildare you can also find Plunkett's in the family name searches.

for marriages this early you would need to refer to the Irish History Foundation. Croagh has births from 1836 so not early enough. Also records for Kildare. The family were
Church of Ireland who has the actual parish registers you can see and research at their Representative Church in Dublin. Easy to get there by bus.

Knockanally House is now a golf course www.knockanally.com
Ovidstown, Donadea Co. Kildare. The Coates bought from the Aylmer family

www.kildare.ie/heritage/historic-sites/knockanallyhouse

The Coates have their own website
www.coates-pellegrinetti-ireland.com
has a picture of the house with a Christian Coates in the picture.

Military records can be found at the National Archives in Kew London, they have given permission to a pay website
to use for the records. For the name of the website
you need to contact me if you don't know it.
codeannette@yahoo.ca

Index of Acts of Grants & Wills Book Diocese of Dublin
1270-1858

Richard Coates & Frances Plunkett Marriage License 1812.

1798 Rebellion Claims and Compensation:

Matthew Coates, claim for Knockanally, Kildare for
provisions, sheep, furniture, wine and spirits
99 pounds 13 shillings and 7 pence paid in full

Thomas Coates, Esq. Staplestown, Kildare claim for house, outbuildings, cattle, furniture, hay & corn
Claim: 2,875 Pounds 17 shillings and 6 pence
Received: 2,671 pound 6 shillings and 6 pence

Annette Code

Posted: 3 Jun 2013 3:14PM GMT
Thanks Annette for all that information. I have been in contact with Christian Coates and he was most helpful too. I visited Knockanally as a child before it became a golf course and my sister and I hope to visit it again this month and the church too. I had found the marriage index for Richard and Francis. However, the other day I found an entry on the 1851 UK census for Richard (widowed) and 3 daughters, Amelia and Caroline (born in Quebec) and Ellen (born in Gibraltar). He was still in the military then. I have also found his military record which shows he was in the 60th regiment of Scotch Brigade and he died in 12/10/1854 Dublin, Ireland. Thanks for the links, I'll continue to investigate! Cheers.

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 7:46PM GMT
Aylmer's Folly is a tower on top of the Hill of Allen outside Newbridge. http://www.newbridgetidytowns.com/heritage,-history,-events-...
Information here on its history.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions