Search for content in message boards

Armagh Sturgeon to Ontario, Canada

Posted: 4 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 4:13AM GMT
Hi, I don't think that this will help you but I had a aunt Hellen McKinley from Lurgan , Ireland , who married a Lockhart Sturgeon b. c. 1909 in Armagh , Ireland. They had 2 sons Jim and Edward. They came to Canada in 1930 and returned a few years later. They visited relatives here. I have a picture of him, you may recognized. Dianne

Armagh Sturgeon to Ontario, Canada

Todd Sturgeon (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sturgeon
I began my family tree last year and have traced my great great grandfather - David Sturgeon - to Armagh county. He moved to Canada in the 1890's and ended up in Kincardine, Bruce County, Ontario, Canada. Here the Sturgeons were fairly well established having been there since 1825. I have a photograph from the 1930's which shows my great grandfather and what is reported as being about fifty other family members.

I would love to make contact with any Sturgeons still living or previosuly from the Armagh region. Hope to make some connections.

Thanks,

Todd Sturgeon - Ottawa, Canada

Armagh Sturgeons in Ontario, Canada

Todd (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Hello Dianne,

Thanks for the quick response. There were three major Sturgeon communities in Ontario during the turn of the century, and of course, much of those communities have dispersed to the major cities.

My family of Sturgeons established themselves in Kincardine, Ontario. About a hundred kilometers away, another group established themselves in Simcoe county, alos in Ontario. A third group was formed in Eastern Ontario about fifty kilometers outside of Ottawa.

Do you have any idea which of these three groups were visited? Maybe he was here for the wedding in 1933. If so, I may be able to distinguish him from the group photograph.

Do you know how I might get in contact with any relatives of Lockhart Sturgeon or any other Sturgeon's from the Armagh region ?

The information you sent so far is most valued and I hope to make a connection.

Thanks,

Todd

Re Sturgeon

Posted: 10 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2001 4:13AM GMT
Surnames: McKinley, McSpadden, McCullough, Hannah, Bell, Gilliland
Hi Todd, I have contacted a cousin in Ireland who may know more about the Sturgeons. Going through the parish records for Moira , co Down I came across something that may be of interest to you.

In the parish book was writen
I remember Mr. Sturgeon, son of Robert Sturgeon, a farmer in Carricknavergh, close to the episcopal church of Killaney, He had a son, John Sturgeon who was once a minister of Maguiresbridge? He returned here and died some years ago, appox. 2 March 1935. David Stewart

April 20 1816 Jane 2nd child of Rev. John Sturgeon and Jane 1816

7th child of Rev. John Sturgeon had a son John Oct 25, 1824
wife of Jane Thompson.

Sept 27 1st child of Fras Sturgeon and Jane Walker of Ballymacfarrick Anne Scott

Mar 21, 1842 Jane Thompson to Robert Sturgeon and Susan Kurppatrick of Carricknaveagh

1846 Catherine 3rd child of Robert Sturgeon and Susana

John born July 24, 1852.

2nd dau of Late Rev. J. Sturgeon . Mary to John Lawther of Cluntogh Aug 8, 1843 something to play around with Dianne

Re: Armagh Sturgeon to Ontario, Canada

Tiger (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2001 11:26PM GMT
Im also looking for info on sturgeon`s from your area. I know i have relatives in ottawa and north gower ontario. Raymond Sturgeon Alice Sturgeon and David Sturgeon all still living. If you have any info on them and there family please e-mail me asap please !!!!!
thanks

Tiger :)

tigerstar101@yahoo.ca

Will Sturgeon (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2001 7:05AM GMT
Hi, don't know if this helps, but have two sisters in Ottawa area, Dianne and Joanne, the three of us from Clarence Alfred Sturgeon, from Bethune Sask, b1911, d1964, last of 12 children. He had a brother Fred, and 10 sisters, Edna, Agnes,Dorothy, are all I have. His Family moved to Guelf and Galt area of Ont. when he was young. I'm trying to determine his father and Mother - lots of Sturgeon homestead records for Bethune area, but don't know next step to find a record to connect him to suspected William Alfred. Let me know.

E. Thornton (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2002 12:25AM GMT
There were sturgeons living in Bourdeau Ont. Just outside of
Sprucedale, district of Parry Sound at the turn of the century.

Posted: 26 May 2003 10:57PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2004 10:44PM GMT
I am looking for information on my grandmother Elizabeth Sturgeon. She was born Nov 13, 1883 in County Down, Ireland. I understand her father owned Drumore castle and ran the British Hemstitching Company. She came to Canada around age 16 when her mother died and her father remaried.

Posted: 1 Oct 2008 8:00PM GMT
I am related to the Sturgeon family living in Bourdeau near Sprucedale Ontario at the turn of the 20th century. Family came from Armagh Ireland via Quebec. I have info on that family.

Posted: 2 Jul 2011 5:19PM GMT
My direct ancestors are Ezekiel Sturgeon and Elizabeth Henton, both born about 1800, Ballydugan, Co. Down, Ireland.
Their daughter Mary Sturgeon married Thomas Lockhart and they moved to Kinloss, Bruce Co, ON. They are my 3rd great grandparents.
Thomas Lockhart's sister Ann Jane Lockhart, b. 1820 married William McMurray, b. 1818. Their granddaughter Emma McMurray, b. 1883 married James Sturgeon and they are the parents of Lockhart Sturgeon.
As you can see there is a major connection between the Lockharts and the Sturgeons.
Kinloss is just a few miles south of Kincardine, so there could well be a connection with the Kincardine Sturgeons too.
Does anyone know the names of James Sturgeon's parents (Emma McMurray's husband)?
Does anyone have a deeper background on William Sturgeon, Jane Lewis' husband? They are from County Tyrone, but that is right beside Co Armagh and County Down.
By the way, my Sturgeons and Lockharts are all Protestants, and I'm sure the County Tyrone ones are too.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions