Search for content in message boards

Seeking Broussards and Cemetery--Monterey, LA

Seeking Broussards and Cemetery--Monterey, LA

Cecilia (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2006 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Recently discovered gravestones on property I own in Monterey, LA. Linked to the Broussard family property on Hwy 129 on Black River Lake. Any info from Broussarad family or about cemetery is appreciated.

Re: Seeking Broussards and Cemetery--Monterey, LA

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 6:26PM GMT
Edited: 6 Dec 2006 6:08AM GMT
Surnames: Broussard
Can you tell us if you can read any of the names? I have a list of all the known cemeteries in Concordia Parish on my Concordia Parish LAGenWeb Project Site at www.rootsweb.com/~laconcor/

There are several cemeteries known to be in the Black Lake - Monterey - Horseshoe Lake area. How far are you from the School? I might can find if it is a known or unknown cemetery from the GPS coordinates. My daughter lives in Monterey on Workinger Bayou and I go there quite often so if you tell me about where the cemetery is I may be able to find the right Broussards.

Ann Allen Geoghegan

Cecilia (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2006 12:50PM GMT
I live in the Doc Gibson house across from the old post office and just to the south of the school (two houses south on the lake side.)

Posted: 26 Apr 2007 3:07PM GMT
Surnames: Broussard
I'm very interested in the location and any names on the headstones. Some earlier Broussard relatives were buried near the bank of Black River almost across from the Monterey school. I have been told by now deceased relatives that the graves were destroyed by shoving them in Black River. My inlaws are buried in the Rice Cemetery.

I look forward to your reply.

Jean Broussard

Posted: 24 May 2012 6:42AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
I don't know how much you have found out about what you've been looking for....I live in Monterey, across the street from Monterey High School.....I've been researching our property history and came across your post....our land description for our property says Broussard Estate....and we own the empty lot next door to our home (we live in what everyone down here calls the "old Rhodes House", who use to be the principal during intergration....anyway, back to the information you were trying to find out....my neighbor on the other side of our empty lot has told me that when they built her home they pushed off the cemetary head stones behind her house, into the Black River, so that information is correct....I do know at one time, a school in Florida was really interested in coming up here and excavating the head stones from the floor of the river, because they are still there.....there is only one head stone left in my neighbors backyard and its of a child, and I don't recall a name being on it.....I really do not understand who would okay PUSHING headstones off in the lake, instead of moving them to a new place.....I'm doing more research on our property, I trying to find out about the landing that was here and the first school that was built on our property also.....thank you and I hope I have confirmed for you or helped in some way.....
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions