Search for content in message boards

Converse family (info.from MA & CT)

Converse family (info.from MA & CT)

Lori Converse (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2001 4:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
I would like to share some of the information I have come across doing my research on my Converse family. Most of my research is from Longmeadow and Agawam (W. Springfield until 1856) areas in MA. Please feel free to Email me with information you might have or want on the families listed.

Isaac Converse
b.1791 in CT (possibly from Stafford, CT)
d. Oct. 15, 1852 in W.Springfield, MA
Isaac is buried in the Agawam Cemetery in Agawam Center. He married:

Cynthia Barber (dau. of Joel and Jershua Barber)
b.1793 in Agawam, MA
d.October 15, 1867 in Longmeadow, MA
Cynthia is buried next to Isaac in the Agawam cemetery.

She married 2nd to: Amasa Converse son of Asa Converse (from Stafford, CT) on Jan. 9, 1854 possible brother of Isaac.
Amasa Converse died Sept. 15, 1857 in Agawam, MA.

Isaac and Cynthia had the following 11 children:

Betsey (or Elizabeth B.)
b. 1816
d. Oct. 15, 1849
Elizabeth is buried in the Agawam Cemetery next to Isaac & Cynthia

David E.
b. 1831
d. Nov. 7, 1849
David is also buried in the Agawam Cemetery next to Isaac & Cynthia

Mary A.
b. 1837
d. Apr. 3, 1856
Mary is also buried with Isaac & Cynthia

Isaac Newell
bp.July 1, 1827

Jerusha
bp. July 16, 1826
d. Jan., 1828 age 2

Matilda
bp. May 18, 1826

Newell
bp. May 18, 1826
d. May 20, 1826 age 6

Samuel
bp. July 16, 1826
believe he married a Susan Ballard from NH and lived in Agawam.

Sopia Maria
bp. July 16, 1826
believe she went by Maria S. and married a Abiram S. Rowley on March 12, 1842. She is buried next to Jerusha Barber in the Agawam Cemetery.

Cynthia
bp.July 16, 1826

Alonzo Converse (my GGG Grandfather)
b.1813 in W. Springfield, MA
d. March 15, 1904 in Longmeadow, MA
Alonzo is buried in Longmeadow Cemetery on Williams St.
he married 1st:

Julia Ann Harmon (dau. of Isaac & Lydia C. Harmon)
b.1813 in Suffield, CT
d.Jan. 11, 1874 in Longmeadow, MA
Julia is buried next to Alonzo in Longmeadow Cemetery.

Alonzo married 2nd to Morincia M. Thayer on Sept. 25, 1875

Alonzo and Julia had the following 4 children:

Timothy F. Converse
b.Dec. 4, 1835 (under Flower Converse in record I believe)
d.Apr. 21, 1885 in Longmeadow
He is buried in Longmeadow Cemetery on Williams St.
(There are some dates and ages that do not match here. There may have been two Timothy F. I am looking into it)
He married two times. First to a Fany Converse had an infant that died and second to Mary E. Coomes. He was also in the Civil War Co. E 12th Reg't Conn. Vol.

Julia
b. abt.1842 (info. obtained from 1850 Census for W. Sprfield)

Albert
b. abt.1844
Albert I believe was married to Jennie and had children in Longmeadow.

There is also a Newton Converse recorded in the 1850 Census with Alonzo & Julia I do not believe this to be a child of theirs he is age 17 and a fisherman. Any info. is appreciated.

Isaac Austin (my GG Grandfather)also know as Austin
b.1838
d. Oct. 15, 1898 in Glastonbury, CT
Isaac in buried in the Longmeadow cemetery on Williams St.

Isaac married 1st to Sarah Jane Steele (or Steel) any info.on Sarah is appreciated here

Sarah Jane Steele (or Steele)
b.1839 possibly from Utica or Syracuse, NY
d.1882 in Glastonbury, CT
Buried next to Isaac in Longmeadow cemetery on Williams St.

Isaac we believe married a second time in CT

Isaac and Sarah had the following 8 children:

Cora B.
b.Jan. 29, 1863
d. March 14, 1868 in Longmeadow, MA
She is buried in Longmeadow cemetery on Williams St.
She is also listed under Flora B. Converse in death record.

Julia
b. abt. 1864 (record from 1880 census in E. Hartford, CT)

Carrie M.
b. Sept. 30, 1865 in Longmeadow, MA
Carrie married a David Bidwell in Glastonbury, CT

Cora Bell
b. Sept. 3, 1869 in Longmeadow, MA

Grace Viola
b.July 13, 1871 in Longmeadow, MA
d.1882 in Glastonbury, CT
Grace is buried in the Longmeadow Cemetery on Williams St.
She died as a result of a fire in the Woolen Mills age 11

Mable Ellen
b.July 25, 1877 in Longmeadow, MA

Alonzo Allen
b.Sept. 1, 1873 in Longmeadow, MA
d. Aug. 26, 1899 in E. Hartford, CT
Alonzo is buried in the Longmeadow cemetery on Williams St.
Alonzo was a butcher in E. Hartford.

Lawrence
b.Sept. 4, 1879

Lawrence is buried in the East Cemetery in Manchester, CT. He served in the Spanish/American war. and we have much more information on Lawrence and his families.

This is the first time sending a query and I hope the information comes through o.k. I hope that this information is helpful to anybody and please let me know if I can help further. Most of this information is cited and I can tell you how to get some of these records. Any additional information is appreciated.

Lori Converse

Re: Converse family (info.from MA & CT)

Lori Paglia (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2002 4:59PM GMT
Hi Lori,

I was doing some research on the internet and inadvertently came across your information. I just wanted to introduce myself as my maiden name is Lori Converse; my fathers' family is from the West Springfield area. I believed my great grandparents settled there in the late 1800's. I am wondering if there is any connection? I plan on showing the information that you have collected to by father to see if he recognizes any of the names.

Thanks!
Lori

JSchwan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2002 6:59PM GMT
Lori:
My husband has Reuben Brown (b. 1778) from Sudbury who marries Amanda Converse (b. 1780) from Stafford, Tolland CT. Her parents are Jesse Converse & Mary Moulton.

Do you connect anywhere?

Judy
schwanja723@adelphia.net

Posted: 8 Apr 2003 3:11AM GMT
Edited: 26 May 2003 2:15AM GMT
Surnames: Converse, Bothwell, Manson
Looking for information about family of Amasa P. Converse and wife, Harriet, who lived in Michigan in 1850 census. He born about 1812 in Mass, she born in Mass about 1817. They had a daughter, Harriet, born about 1839 in Mich. Suspect they are related to Ruth Bothwell, whose maiden name was Converse. Ruth lived next door to them in 1850. She was born in Mass. about 1806, married James Bothwell in Burlington, VT, May 13, 1839 and moved to Illinois shortly thereafter. Ruth, James, and James' brother, William and his wife, Dinah (Manson) Bothwell (also married in Burlington in 1839) were founding members of Albany, ILL, Congregational church.

Any leads appreciated. Thanks.
Kearney Bothwell

Posted: 27 Jan 2004 8:54PM GMT
change of email...my new email address is
loriconverse@sbcglobal.net

Posted: 12 Jan 2009 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Worthington, Converse
My Worthington family line descends from James Worthington m Polly Converse. I seek info especially on James Worthington's parents and background generations. I have info on James & Polly's descendants. My line: James, his son: Elmer; his son: Harry Hall; his son: Raymond Leroy b 1915. I am only child of Raymond Leroy Worthington, living in MD. I am a niece of Ruth W. MacKenzie, d. Somers, CT, who had researched extensively. Sandy (Worthington) Fleischmann sandy.fleischmann@gmail.com

Posted: 22 Jan 2009 4:07PM GMT
I am looking for information on Joseph Converse who was born in Boston ca 1794 and died in Ct before 1857. He married Malvinia Durgy (called Lavinia) and had several children in New Fairfield Ct. Does anyone know of this man? Thanks Jan

Posted: 21 Apr 2009 1:56PM GMT
Surnames: Converse
Hi!

I am trying to contact Lori Converse. I have tried the email listed in 2004 but it bounces back to me. She is the GGG granddaughter of Alonzo Converse (1813-1904). I am the great-great-granddaughter of Harriet [Converse] Parker, who I believe was the step-sister/first cousin of Alonzo. Her death record states that her father was "Emmasez" of Stafford, CT. However, I believe that was a mistake and should have been written "Amasa". She was born in 1817 in Stafford and in 1830 there was an Amasa Converse head of household with a girl her age. He is there in 1840 also without the girl in his household. At that time my Harriet Converse was married to Emery Parker and wouldn't have been in her father's household.

I would just like to touch base with Lori Converse and exchange info. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give me to make the connection. The main things I would like to learn are:
1) If Amasa Converse of Stafford, Ct (born in 1790, probably died in 1857) had a daughter named Harriet born in about 1817.
2) What his first wife's name was.
3) Was his father Asa Converse and what was Asa's wife's name.
Thanks!
Kathryn - pppaaaggg(at)gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions