Search for content in message boards

Land grants for original Coueys

Land grants for original Coueys

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 8:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Couey, McLure
I have stumbled across the plats (18th century equivalent of a title deed) online for William and Samuel Couey. They are listed in Granville County, SC, which no longer exists because of changes to South Carolina's infrastructure around the time of the American Revolution.

The image of William Couey's/Cooey's plat for 300 acres is here:

http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/Thumbnails.as...

The image of the plat for brother Samuel's 100 acres is here:

This one is a mystery, a plat for 100 acres for a Jannet Cooey:

Under the terms of South Carolina's "Bounty Act of 1761," brother William's land grant should have included 50 acres for his wife Jane/Jannet, which begs the question, how did she manage to finagle 100 acres of her own?

Even stranger is that Jannet's plat is dated previous to the plats for either of the brothers.

I flipped when I found this because this is concrete evidence, previously unknown to me, that these people actually existed. And in a practical sense, these documents show where the Couey family first sank roots on American soil.

Unrelated to this thread but I also have discovered there was a seventh Couey who arrived on the Britannia that same day in 1767, in addition to brothers Samuel and William, and William's wife and three boys. There also was a Christian "Crisa" Couey McLure, aged 40, traveling in the company of her husband, a John McLure, and their three children. Might she have been a sister to brothers William and Samuel? Who knows? But it's a lead pipe cinch they all three were close kin.

Re: Land grants for original Coueys

Posted: 29 Mar 2013 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: Couey
I have in my files a record from a relative which reports: Jane and William were married (i believe inferred) and Jannet possibly is a sibling of Samuel and William.
The area was the old Ninety-six district, near Long Canes on the Savannah river. Possibly now partly submerged in the Cherry Hill Reservoir of the Savannah River, and in the Sumter National Forest.
Grants were customarily for 100 acres and an additional 50 for each family member....so it is logical Jannet and Samuel, unmarried adults, each got 100 and the 200 additional acres to william were on behalf of the 4 additional members, Jane, John, William and Joseph (3 boys - children).
Jannet also could have been a sister-in-law and the husband died in passage. I believe it was a family story that they were brothers who came from Ireland and landed in the Carolinas and later became separated and never saw each other again.
None of this file has sources, so I am relaying a written story given to me.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 12:11AM GMT
Edited: 14 Apr 2013 12:16AM GMT
Thank you, Larissa, I had forgotten about "the other woman." It's so rare I find anything new, I tend to put this stuff up and not look at it for years.

In 1995, I hired the Ulster Historical Foundation to investigate a possible Irish link, and this is a scan from the report they compiled:

http://s1.bild.me/bilder/150113/1684772Couey_manifest.jpg

I don't know that they didn't record the ages of the heads of household but the ship's manifest only lists the age of the dependents. In fact, curiously, it doesn't list the head of household at all.

One copy of the passenger manifest for that voayge of the HMS Britannia is here:

http://sciway3.net/proctor/ships/v2/britannia1767.html

So you can tell from the fact that no age is listed for Jannet that she was a head of household. Which solves my mystery.

Posted: 14 Apr 2013 3:37PM GMT
Thanks for sharing the scans... I have Couey through my father's grandmother and there is a family 'story' about inheritance land never claimed... so I have been handed down some written info from other's research. I hope to fill in some blanks eventually. Best wishes to you and your research!

Posted: 3 Oct 2013 6:33PM GMT
Crisa was the elder Williams sister:

From: Memories of a worthy ancestry : a genealogy of John and Jane McClure beginning in 1679 (short version)
By Charles Dennie McClure and Pamela (Pam) Henley McClure.

May 1,2007.

http://contentdm.byu.edu/u?/FH27,37844.

Page 2 on website.
" John McClure (1715 - March 10, 1813) married Christian (Crisa) Couey (1727 - After1790). John's birth is recorded in the 1793 McClure Bible which belonged to John GravesMcClure and Mary McKnight McClure. In 1752, the family was living in Fasnameagh,County of Antrim (near Ballymena). William McClure, the elder son of John andChristian (Crisa) Couey McClure, was baptized on September 19, 1752, at Gloonan,County of Antrim, Ulster by Rev. John Cennick. Interestingly, Rev. Cennick was thefounder of the Moravian Church in Ireland. The members of the John McClure familywere likely involved with the Moravian Church at that time.There is evidence that by 1767 John and Christian had made the decision to immigrate tocolonial South Carolina. The John McClure family sailed on the Britannia departingfrom Newry Harbor in County Down, Ulster (Northem Ireland) on Monday, May 4,1767. According to the South Carolina Gazette (Vol. XXXII, No. 1664), the ship,Britannia arrived in Charles Town, South Carolina on Saturday, August 22, 1767. Thecomplete trip from Newry, Ulster (Northem Ireland) to Charles Town, South Carolinalasted 111 days.Members of the Couey family were also passengers on the ship. It is probable that theCouey family had lived near the family of John McClure in County Antrim in what istoday Northern Ireland. William Couey (1730) was a brother to Christian (Crisa)McClure. William's wife was Jane Couey (1737). Other siblings of Christian (Crisa)Couey McClure were Samuel Couey (1732) and Janet Couey (1734). These twoindividuals also made the trip from Ulster (Northem Ireland) to colonial South Carolina.The early members of the Couey family could possibly have been French Huguenots.The Huguenots were French Protestants who were members of the Reformed Church,which was established in 1550 by John Calvin. Many ofthe Huguenots came to Ulster(Northem Ireland), and since they, too, were Calvinists, for the most part they joined thePresbyterian Church and soon became part of the Scottish communities.The McClure and Couey families immigrated to South Carolina as Protestant refugees onthe encouragement of the Bounty Act, which was passed by the General Assembly of theColony of South Carolina on July 25, 1761. The Act offered land to poor Protestantrefugees who chose to take advantage of this opportunity to establish residence incolonial South Carolina. Land was offered on the basis of 100 acres for the head of thefamily and 50 acres for every other individual in that particular family unit. Additionally,
four pounds sterling was to be paid to defray the expense of the passage from Europe to.
South Carolina for individuals above twelve years of age and two pounds sterling paid forrefugees under twelve and above two years. The money was to be paid to the owner ormaster of the vessel unless the refugee had already paid for his passage. It was requiredthat each refugee provide a certificate from either civil or church officials stating that hewas indeed a Protestant and of good character. No other colony ever offered such
favorable terms, so in 1761 a flood of emigration from Ulster (Northem Ireland) began.".

cathleenkeen

cathleenkeen originally shared this
22 Sep 2008 ☒story
I found the information on the web by typing in Couey Genealogy

My tree is public, if you can't get to it, e mail me at ck34372@aol.com, I will send an invite.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions