Search for content in message boards

Miracle/Howard Harlan County, KY

Miracle/Howard Harlan County, KY

Kristin Howard (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2001 2:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Aug 2001 10:01PM GMT
Surnames: Howard, Miracle
Help!! Trying to figure out my dads family and not having much luck. My gr-grandparents are James Howard and Elizabeth Miracle. I believe they had 5 sons. My grandfather (George) was born in 1905 in Harlan County and his brother John J., I believe, was a Judge in Harlan County around 1930ish. Both James and Elizabeth passed away when their sons were still in school (so the story goes). My dad thinks that his father (George) was married the first time to a Hanah Miracle. I believe they had 2 daughters. Hanah died when the girls were young. Can anyone help me? Also, I found that Joshua Howard (Georges uncle, maybe James brother??)married Seretta Miracle in 1895. I believe all of this is in Harlan County. Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Miracle/Howard Harlan County, KY

Posted: 19 Aug 2001 12:30PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2001 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Miracle, Howard, Lee, Wilson
Hello Kristin,
I am afraid I cannot identify the James Howard that Elizabeth Miracle married. Elizabeth's sister Seretta Miracle married Joshua Howard, s/o Levi Jasper Howard and Lucinda Wilson. I do not show them with a son James. They did have a son named Larkin who was born about 1869 that may have been Larkin James or James Larkin but I am only speculating. I do not do a lot of research on the Howard's. I am doing Miracle research. The last census I have for Harlan Co. is the 1870. I will see if I can find someone to give me an 1880 census lookup for Levi Jasper Howard to see how the children were listed in that census.

Elizabeth Miracle was the d/o James Harvey Miracle and Catherine Lee. She was born about 1872 in Harlan Co. Elizabeth had another sister, Aretha who married an Elijah Howard, s/o John J. Howard and Matilda Howard. Again, I do not have them with a son named James.

I can give you a lot of Miracle information if you are interested.

David
KENTUCKY KINFOLK
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~kykinfolk/
http://users.ev1.net/~dhoskins

Posted: 23 Aug 2001 10:00PM GMT
Surnames: Miracle, Howard, Lee
Kristin,
I looked around the 1910 Harlan Co. census images and found the following family. This may possibly be the James Howard you are looking for.
Page 79 B taken 16 Apr 1910
ED 85 Household 12 (Pucketts Creek District)
Howard, James W. 36 married 16 years
. .Bessie 35 wife - 7 children born
. .Britt 15 son
. .Rosie E. 13 dau
. .Lilly A. 13 dau (Twins?)
. .Nora 10 dau
. .Katie? 7 dau (hard to read)
. .George 5 son***
. .Millard 3 son

If you know the names of any of the other children (besides George and John C.) born to James and Elizabeth Miracle Howard, it may determine if this is the correct family. If that should be the case then at least we would know about when James Howard was born. Census dates are seldom exact.

The parents of Elizabeth Miracle, James Harvey Miracle and Catherine Lee, lived in the same district in household 39. Living next door to them was the daughter Mary and her husband George Lee. Joshua Howard and Seretta Miracle were in household 44.

David
KENTUCKY KINFOLK
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~kykinfolk/
http://users.ev1.net/~dhoskins

Posted: 29 Aug 2001 4:30AM GMT
Edited: 1 Sep 2002 11:55PM GMT
hi ther, kristen forward your message to me my father is verlin howard, he was born in wallins creek ky. his mopther is dora howard. maiden name same as married. no relation. her parents were elijah and arretha miracle. therenis also a john and matilda howard form calloway, i have a picture of matilda with to girls named lizzie and cholra howard.. i know my grmother dora howard was orphaned at in early age. some where in louisvile, with 4 other sisters.i did find in the 1910 census an elijah 32yrs and arretha 25yrs . that is all i know so far i belive that there was a james or john who was a high sheriff, any info you have would be helpful , i was told by my uncle, there is a howard cemetary that is our familys somewhere on the mountainaround that general area harlan calloway etc not sure . thanks bettyrae email brae65@zoomtown.com

Posted: 14 Jun 2010 5:11AM GMT
Surnames: Howard
I was hoping you would have more info on the following: Page 79 B taken 16 Apr 1910
ED 85 Household 12 (Pucketts Creek District)
Howard, James W. 36 married 16 years
. .Bessie 35 wife - 7 children born
. .Britt 15 son
. .Rosie E. 13 dau
. .Lilly A. 13 dau (Twins?)
. .Nora 10 dau
. .Katie? 7 dau (hard to read)
. .George 5 son***
. .Millard 3 son

George is my great-grandfather. Please respond back if you have any other info to contribute.

I am having a hard time finding any other info on James Howard and his wife Bessie. I have an obituary for my grandfather George Howard naming his parents as James and Elizabeth.

Posted: 20 Apr 2011 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Howard, Miracle
My grandfather was born in Harlan. Price Miracle. His mom was Delcie Howard. I remember hearing about an aunt Seretta growing up.

My first day on the site. My chin is kinda on the floor right now!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic