Search for content in message boards

Spouse Removal

Spouse Removal

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 11:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have had examples where I have made mistakes entering spouses. If I make a wrong entry its easy to remove the person of course but the number spouse numbers can be wrong.
To make this clearer I have a "A" male married to a "B" female. I then add a "C" female and therefore it will show a "2" against the male person. When I find I don't want the "C" female I remove by deleting the person "C". However the "2" remains. I must be missing something here.

Re: Spouse Removal

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 9:50AM GMT
Don't use the delete, use the attach/detach

If you have created an unknown spouse with your delete either detach the spouse or merge the unknown spouse with the correct spouse toi get rid of the "2"

John D

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 5:36PM GMT
Thank you John

I ran a little test on a made up tree. All I added were parents A & B and a daughter C. I then added a husband and entered a marriage date.
A "1" was showing against the daughter and the new husband.
I then highlighted the husband and used the People drop-down feature selecting Detach. The tree display then just showed the husband as expected. I focused to the daughter and took out the marriage date but the "1" still appears next to her name. This confused me a little and maybe I have mis-understood something. I deleted the husband as well but the "1" remained.

Bob

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 10:50PM GMT
I am trying to post a response to you but Ancestry is saying it is unauthorised

John D

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 4:29AM GMT

Posted: 2 Jan 2013 11:25AM GMT
Whether deleting or detaching a spouse, the "marriage" or family fact still exists and won't necessarily go away even if the marriage date field is emptied. In another genie program, when either detach or delete of a spouse is done, the program asks if you also want to delete the family record. What is the FTMM version of the same?

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 3:09PM GMT
Actually the correct way is to "Merge" the duplicates, don't delete - this article is for Windows but it's basically the same steps:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4206

Once you have deleted & still show an extra "Phantom" spouse, this article shows how to clear that up (also a Windows article but steps are the same):

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5164

(Sure wish Ancestry would update these articles with Mac screenshots)

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 3:26PM GMT
If it's anything like mine the program (Mac version) won't keep alive long enough to do that!

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 4:25PM GMT
I run FTM Mac2 as well, I very seldom run into any program crashes (less often than other software I run, such as iTunes). I will say, though, that I did have a LOT more crashes from FTM before upgrading my Mac in December. My old Mac was a Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM on OS X Lion; now have an i7 with 16GB ram and Mountain Lion and it's a lot more stable.

If the program is crashing, you may want to run through these steps:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5322

Also it's possible you have some corruption in your tree data file. There are a lot of ways to resolve this, my favorite (i.e. the one that works most reliably for me) is to unlink the tree from Ancestry & redownload it, or if you don't have your tree linked, upload it to ancestry as a private tree then re-download it (you can delete the Ancestry tree when you're done if you don't want it linked)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions